PDA

View Full Version : Online laminate source?

Scott T Smith
02-19-2013, 12:05 AM
I'm doing some custom work inside a mobile veterinary hospital, and I'd like to obtain some laminate to match what is currently installed inside.

The product installed in the unit has a very hard, flat shiny surface in a very bright gloss white. I'm presuming that it may be a medical grade product, but I'm having a devil of a time finding a source for it. This is not a product that I've ever seen in a home center.

This photo of a similar interior provides an idea of what I'm looking for.

Can anybody steer me in a direction for a potential online source?

Thx.

Scott

phil harold
02-19-2013, 7:23 AM
I'm doing some custom work inside a mobile veterinary hospital, This is not a product that I've ever seen in a home center.
Scott
custom work and your going to a home center?

Do a search for cabinet supply in your area
find out who sells laminate

here is a search of suppliers for wilsonart
http://www.wilsonartcontract.com/directory/find-a-rep/?getCode=27562&searchCode=Search

click on distributors....

Scott T Smith
02-19-2013, 12:59 PM
custom work and your going to a home center?

Phil, thanks for the info. I'm not a pro cabinetmaker, just a miller. In this case, the "client" is my wife...

phil harold
02-19-2013, 8:06 PM
Phil, thanks for the info. I'm not a pro cabinetmaker, just a miller. In this case, the "client" is my wife...
NP

There is all sorts of laminates available

Looks like it maybe a color core type product

I just laughed and almost spilled my coffee when I read custom work and home center in the same breath

It wood be like, go to the home center and wanting 5/4 x16 quarter sawn oak 16' long

I am just a carpenter, not a cabinet maker.

Larry Copas
02-19-2013, 9:06 PM
You might try bevel-edge.com. They told me one time if it is Formica or Wilsonart they can get it. Of course there are other manufactures out there that your laminate could have come from.

Jim O'Dell
02-19-2013, 9:16 PM
Go to Wilsonart, Formica, and Pionite and you should be able to find the distributors closest to you. I know where all three are here in Fort Worth and all 3 will sell to me as an individual. Formica is the most expensive, the other two price out at the same price here. My other suggestion would be if you know who did the vehicle originally, ask them what they used. Usually a customizer has to have some sort of tag on the driver's door frame stating who did the conversion work. At least the big companies do. Not sure about the mom& pop shops. Jim.

James Boster
02-19-2013, 9:53 PM
My local Wilsonart distributor closed up shop a year or so ago. Still have a Formica distributor close. On a couple recent jobs that spec'd Wilsonart only laminate I ordered the laminate through my local Lowes store. There prices are not bad for the sheets. Pretty close to what I was paying my distributor when he was in business. Just an option.

Scott T Smith
02-20-2013, 10:24 AM
NP

There is all sorts of laminates available

Looks like it maybe a color core type product

I just laughed and almost spilled my coffee when I read custom work and home center in the same breath

It wood be like, go to the home center and wanting 5/4 x16 quarter sawn oak 16' long

I am just a carpenter, not a cabinet maker.

Well, we're even, cuz I DID laugh and spill my iced tea when I read your response above! Thanks for the chuckle.

Scott T Smith
02-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks all for the feedback. I was able to talk to the unit manufacturer and they provided me with the Baer-Wurth part number. It turns out that it's a Formica product called "White Polished" 949-1090. I have some enroute.

Bruce Wrenn
02-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Scott, little late for this project, but Brenda at Apex HD is my go to person on laminates. Even though I can buy from Web-Don, it's cheaper to order through HD, as long as they aren't using Service Net out of NJ. Service Net equills a "no sale." Got all the tools you need to do this job? Bruce

Scott T Smith
02-22-2013, 6:27 PM
Scott, little late for this project, but Brenda at Apex HD is my go to person on laminates. Even though I can buy from Web-Don, it's cheaper to order through HD, as long as they aren't using Service Net out of NJ. Service Net equills a "no sale." Got all the tools you need to do this job? Bruce

Hi Bruce, thanks for the feedback. I *think* that I'm in good shape re the tools, I have a vacuum bag setup, a roller and some laminate trimming router bits. I need to learn more about the best adhesive to use with Formica though. The last time that I tried using contact cement I was not impressed with the adhesion.

Any advice?

Scott

phil harold
02-22-2013, 8:36 PM
Hi Bruce, thanks for the feedback. I *think* that I'm in good shape re the tools, I have a vacuum bag setup, a roller and some laminate trimming router bits. I need to learn more about the best adhesive to use with Formica though. The last time that I tried using contact cement I was not impressed with the adhesion.

Any advice?

Scott
When I have to do a lot I rent the tank an gun
makes life easy

http://www.itwtacc.com/products/index.cfm?product=STA'-PUT%20SP80

Jim O'Dell
02-22-2013, 8:43 PM
Make sure you use the Weldwood Original, not the water based glue. I've never had an issue with the original, except for the odor. I've heard of adhesion problems with the water based version. I roll mine on with a 1" diameter, 6" long close nap roller. I get them from HD and they are pink. I use a 2X4 with some felt glued to it instead of a J-roller. Works fine. Jim.

Bruce Wrenn
02-23-2013, 10:02 PM
I've fallen in love with the DAP gel from Lowes. No runs! If you are over by Wurth, pick up a roller cover for contact cement. It's an embossed rubber, not nap, which tends to shed. Leaves just the right amount of cement. When you are finished with roller, just store in a heavy plastic bag (still attached to roller frame.) I use a bread bag. No need to clean roller, as next time contact cement hits it, it will "wake up" any cement left from before. If you need to borrow some dowels, you are welcome to do so. We used to use kraft paper to separate the laminate from substrate, instead of dowels.

Jamie Buxton
02-23-2013, 11:27 PM
.. I have a vacuum bag setup, a roller and some laminate trimming router bits. I need to learn more about the best adhesive to use with Formica though. The last time that I tried using contact cement I was not impressed with the adhesion...

I use yellow glue and a vacuum bag. I've never quite understood why yellow glue chips off the show face of formica, and bonds very well to the back face, but that is the case. Try a sample if you don't believe me.

Scott T Smith
02-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Thanks all for the feedback. What about Pro-glue Veneer Bond dry resin adhesive? I have some that I use for wood veneer; not sure how well it would work with the formica though.

Jay Jolliffe
02-24-2013, 1:12 PM
I would use what the supplier suggest for the product. I really don't think you need to vacuum bag it but what ever works for you.