PDA

View Full Version : Walnut bowl

Richard Jones
02-18-2013, 11:34 PM
Some hand surgery today, so hard to write this, as it will be hard not to turn for the next 3 weeks........:(......... but, here's a walnut bowl I finished up a couple of days ago. 10" x 4", Danish oil. Hard to photograph and I'm not sure exactly why.

C & C always welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks for looking, and thanks to the pharmacy for the narcotics...........

Rich

http://photos.imageevent.com/richinva/turning/bowls/websize/walnut%20bowl%202-16-2013%20001.jpghttp://photos.imageevent.com/richinva/turning/bowls/websize/IMG_3072.JPG

Kathy Marshall
02-18-2013, 11:40 PM
That's a really nice bowl Rich! The wood looks great and I really like the beaded rim and foot.

steven carter
02-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Very nice bowl. Good luck in your recouperation.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-19-2013, 12:36 AM
Very nice piece Richard, hope your hand heals up quick so you can be doing what you like to do :)

Brian Kent
02-19-2013, 1:47 AM
Holding onto that beautiful bowl may just help your hands heal. :)

Michelle Rich
02-19-2013, 6:00 AM
this is a delightful bowl. lovely little foot, graceful shape and a wonderful rim.

Fred Belknap
02-19-2013, 8:22 AM
Nice bowls, the walnut looks like it is hard. My experience with local walnut is that it is soft and open grain and hard to finish.

Prashun Patel
02-19-2013, 8:38 AM
Fred-
It is relatively open grained. A sealcoat of shellac speeds the building.

Richard-
Beautiful! Love the subtle foot. I aim for that with limited success!

Jamie Donaldson
02-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Good luck with the healing, and this bowl was hard to photograph because of the contrast of dark wood against a very bright background. With a highly reflective background bouncing lots of light, exposure errors are a big problem. This image is overexposed as a result, and a series of about 5 different exposures(bracketing) using the same f stop, changing only the shutter speeds if the camera has manual overrides, will give a selection of images from which to choose the best.

Roger Chandler
02-19-2013, 12:25 PM
That is a very well done bowl, Richard! You have a great form and nicely finished off bottom ......nice finish as well. Hope you heal fast ......don't over do it too soon!

Richard Jones
02-19-2013, 2:09 PM
Good luck with the healing, and this bowl was hard to photograph because of the contrast of dark wood against a very bright background. With a highly reflective background bouncing lots of light, exposure errors are a big problem. This image is overexposed as a result, and a series of about 5 different exposures(bracketing) using the same f stop, changing only the shutter speeds if the camera has manual overrides, will give a selection of images from which to choose the best.

Jamie,

i bracketed 4 exposures, but started at 0 and I should have gone lower. I think I also need to do something to reduce the glare on the left side. Have relocated my tent from another room and had to shorten the height of the tent.

Thanks for the info.

Rich

Baxter Smith
02-19-2013, 3:08 PM
Great shape and the beads on the rim and foot are a nice touch! Hope your hand heals fast Rich!

Richard Jones
02-19-2013, 3:40 PM
Thanks, guys. A bit sore today, but nothing Mr. Vicodin can't handle. Hope I am done with that after today. Was really bummed when he told me 3 weeks. Oh, we'll, guess I can work on my photography.

Thanks for all the positive vibes and the nice comments about the bowl.

Thomas Canfield
02-19-2013, 9:10 PM
That is a super nice looking bowl with the rim and foot detail and the finish makes you want to pick it up. I'll add my hopes that your hand heals fast and you get back to making more. It is a bummer to have to sit out for several weeks due to some recovery.

Timothy Mann
02-19-2013, 9:31 PM
Beautiful looking bowl. I think the beaded foot is wonderful on it to.

Steve Kubien
02-19-2013, 9:57 PM
'Tis a beauty bowl.

Carpal tunnel surgery?

Tim Rinehart
02-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Richard, I like this bowl a lot. The rim detail is subtle but really nice. Hope the recoup goes quickly. When I went in to have my doc remove stitches from carpal release, I gave him a pen I made the day before. He just shook his head, he clearly didn't understand!:D