PDA

View Full Version : Isn't she lovely?(slider gloat)

johnny means
02-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Picked this up today for $2500. She's a real beast. I've worked on plenty of high end saws SCMI, Felder, Altendorf but nothing is built like a Martin. I can't even wrap my mind around why you would overbuild something this way. The closest comparison I can make, quite literally, is a tank. I always wished I could get myself a Martin, but they are a rare beast and don't come up in my price range, ever.

David Kumm
02-18-2013, 11:10 PM
That is definitely gloatworthy. The little things will add some cost to replace and fix but in the end you will have a saw that will compare to 15-20K new and make you feel warm and fuzzy every time you fire it up. I can real close on a similar saw but ended up with an older SCMI. Easier to fix and really sweet but no Martin. The old T75 isn't real practical but in my mind the most beautiful slider out there. T71 or 78? Dave

Jeff Monson
02-18-2013, 11:13 PM
Nice Johnny, really nice. Great price also. The only time I have seen Martin machines was at the AWFS show. They are definitely in a league of their own, I'd have to say the Ferrari of woodworking machines. Overbuilt is a word that came to my mind also, but in a good way. What's the weight and HP on this saw? Again, nice score.

Stephen Cherry
02-18-2013, 11:19 PM
You suck, the saw sucks, everything sucks. waaaaaaaaaah!

(sorry, just venting an outburst of envy, super nice score!)

johnny means
02-18-2013, 11:45 PM
Nice Johnny, really nice. Great price also. The only time I have seen Martin machines was at the AWFS show. They are definitely in a league of their own, I'd have to say the Ferrari of woodworking machines. Overbuilt is a word that came to my mind also, but in a good way. What's the weight and HP on this saw? Again, nice score.

Saw weighs in at about 3k#. Got the roll back up off its front wheels for a moment. My similarly sized SCMI weighed in at about 2k. 7 HP. She's a T78.

Victor Robinson
02-18-2013, 11:47 PM
I literally had the song playing in my mind as I was looking at the pics. Congrats!

Steve Rozmiarek
02-19-2013, 12:52 AM
$2,500!!?? That is once in a lifetime, maybe if you are very lucky! Any idea what year it was made?

Paul Incognito
02-19-2013, 5:38 AM
Nice!
I've had my eye on that craigslist ad myself. I'm suprised how long it took.
It looks better in your shop than it did in the ad.
Did you get the pneumatic clamp too?
Glad you snagged it!
Paul

Jim Andrew
02-19-2013, 5:38 AM
Do you hear sirens in the distance?

Bill ThompsonNM
02-19-2013, 5:47 AM
Wow! I'm envious! And what a great deal. Thousands of creekers will be drooling on their monitors with this one!

johnny means
02-19-2013, 7:14 AM
Someone had already left a deposit in the clamp. She was born in 89.

Harold Burrell
02-19-2013, 7:34 AM
You suck, the saw sucks, everything sucks. waaaaaaaaaah!

(sorry, just venting an outburst of envy, super nice score!)

You know...there is absolutely NO way I could have said it better...

Neil Bosdet
02-19-2013, 8:08 AM
Wow! Awesome! You suck!!!

Don Morris
02-19-2013, 8:43 AM
Know what I said when I saw the pic? Sorry for the crudity, but that's exactly what I said. That's how envious I am. Great purchase for an unbelievable price.

peter gagliardi
02-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Nice get! Welcome to the Martin club! I have 3 of their saws, but have owned 5 . I personally think the older T75 has the nicest lines and like using it the best, but there is something to be said for some of the more user friendly improvements of the newer saws. I have looked at a lot of saws, nothing, but nothing is built like, or works like a Martin.
Enjoy!
peter

Peter Kelly
02-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Think I noticed that one on CL too. You pick it up in suburban Philadelphia? The hold down bar would've been a nice addition.

Good score either way.

Peter Quinn
02-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Was there any smoke coming from the building as they loaded you up? Wow, nice deal, a Martin slider for the price of the scrap weight. Congrats and enjoy. I'm presently the same color as your new saw.

Jim Rimmer
02-19-2013, 1:21 PM
Nice saw. I don't want one; I just wish I had the space in my shop required for a saw like that. :)

Joe Calhoon
02-19-2013, 2:57 PM
Nice get! Welcome to the Martin club! I have 3 of their saws, but have owned 5 . I personally think the older T75 has the nicest lines and like using it the best, but there is something to be said for some of the more user friendly improvements of the newer saws. I have looked at a lot of saws, nothing, but nothing is built like, or works like a Martin.
Enjoy!
peter
I agree Peter. I had a brand new SCM SI 15 in the mid 80s. Sold that and bought a 1968 T-75 for around $3500. The 75 was better in every respect. Ran it hard for 20 years and sold it for about the same price to a shop down the road. It still runs well. The newer ones do have some nice features but like you say just something about the T75.

Great Find Johnny!

Gus Dundon
02-19-2013, 3:26 PM
Great score! Worth to gloat! Goodluck on that!a

Kevin Jenness
02-20-2013, 6:39 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but this looks like a T78 without the tilting arbor. A wonderful saw for square edge panels, but limited. Our T75 is the workhorse of our shop, sure to outlast me as long as the ways are kept lubricated.

johnny means
02-20-2013, 7:09 AM
Yes, the T78 doesn't have a tilting arbor. This works for me, I had my SCMI for about 5 years and never made a bevel cut on it. Of course, I'm fortunate to also have a cabinet saw and a track saw both, of which I prefer for bevel cuts. The upside to a non bevel saw is uncompromised dust collection. Without the need for a tilting trunnion, the arbor can be located in a sealed compartment within the base.

Kevin Jenness
02-20-2013, 9:14 PM
Congratulations, nice score at a great price. I miswrote, we have a T71 of 1984 vintage, the tilting arbor version of your saw. Paid $8500 which we felt was a fair bargain.Our saw has an oil reservoir in the carriage to lube the ways, but one side for whatever reason doesn't get oiled, so we apply oil manually to that side weekly, and inject oil into the trunnion ports at the back of the saw regularly with the supplied gun. We have had excellent support from Ed Papa at Simantech who has been selling the Martin line for at least 30 years. Enjoy.

Jim Becker
02-20-2013, 9:17 PM
Wow...congratulations, Johnny! That's a real score. Lots of "mass" in those Martin machines!

Joseph Tarantino
02-20-2013, 10:18 PM
congrats on the buy. that's a very impressive saw. it'd fit well in my shop, if it weren't for the shop's walls getting in the way and the floor not being large enough. geez, that thing's HUGE!

marty shultz
02-20-2013, 10:28 PM
That ranks as one of the best bargains I've seen in a long time.