PDA

View Full Version : Good News and Bad News

Josh Bowman
02-18-2013, 9:30 PM
Here's a piece of oak that was laying around in the shop. It had some checks in it so I didn't have great aspirations that it would get finished so I tried some Jimmy Clewes techniques that I learned at the TAW symposium and some texturing with the Sorby spiraling and texturing tool that I learned from Frank Bowers last weekend at our club meeting. Overall I'm satisfied with the results.....up until the side come out:(

Kathy Marshall
02-18-2013, 11:49 PM
Not a total loss since it looks like you were successful with some new techniques, so I'm looking forward to seeing a completed piece using your new techniques!

Fred Belknap
02-19-2013, 8:27 AM
The effect is kind of neat, guess you could call it a dieters cereal bowl.

Thom Sturgill
02-19-2013, 8:42 AM
I take it from the checks that you were not surprised too badly.

Every once in a while I see some texturing work from tools like the Sorby that make me want to try them, but mostly not. This looks like it could be a winner, and I'm sure that the difference is in both where and how the texturing is applied. I look forward to seeing more from you.

Mike Cruz
02-19-2013, 9:52 AM
Reminds me of a classic chipped tea cup (Beauty and the Beast?). I'd call it a design element and finish it!

Richard Coers
02-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Very lucky you didn't catch a chunk of that oak in the face. Wood with checks like that should be firewood, not bowls.

Brian Finney
02-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Josh,

A suggestion, smooth out the broken edges.254842
Put fruit in the bowl, and make the feature the front - it will look good.
Jimmy Clewes is good, I did a class with him and came out having turned 'his' oriental bowl.

Brian

Mike Cruz
02-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Wouldn't hit you in the face when you wear a face shield.

Let's not get too "over careful" about what woods to turn and what not to. Just take the safety precautions that protect you. Otherwise, all turnings would be free of voids and character.

Turning wood comes with inherent risks that we all take. If you chose to turn only wood that is completely solid and completely check free, that is your choice. Now, wind shake is another issue...one that SHOULD be avoided. But I've seen plenty of turnings that have "checks" that are embeleshed and beautiful.

Mike Cruz
02-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Brian, I know you just "drew" that line in with black because that is what whatever software you were using uses. But I actually LIKE the black trim thing. And as I said earlier, I'd either leave the chip, or do what Brian just suggested and either burn or dye the edge...including the rim. Design opportunity, Josh.:rolleyes:

Thomas Canfield
02-19-2013, 9:14 PM
That looks like a candidate for sitting high on a display shelf with the crack at the back and not visable. Lots of good detail and should help with the next one.

Richard Coers
02-19-2013, 11:15 PM
Wouldn't hit you in the face when you wear a face shield.

Let's not get too "over careful" about what woods to turn and what not to. Just take the safety precautions that protect you. Otherwise, all turnings would be free of voids and character.

Turning wood comes with inherent risks that we all take. If you chose to turn only wood that is completely solid and completely check free, that is your choice. Now, wind shake is another issue...one that SHOULD be avoided. But I've seen plenty of turnings that have "checks" that are embeleshed and beautiful.

We've had people die, and others undergoing multiple surgeries to repair damaged bodies from woodturning accidents. Suggesting that "Let's not get too over careful" is just plain reckless. The OP is showing a bowl with a chunk missing! What if he takes your advice next time on a larger bowl? There are risks in woodturning, but I'm not shifting the odds any further by turning wood with lots of checks, and that second picture shows lots of checks even after removing a lot of material to develop the form.

Mike Cruz
02-19-2013, 11:32 PM
Take a look at the works of Keller, Dane, Tim, and others. Many of their pieces have 1/3 of the vessel missing. Suggesting that one doesn't turn it because it could blow up would be what I would say is overly cautious.

Now, I said it before, and I'll say it again. Make sure you take the necessary precautions to protect your face and body (faceshield, turning smock...maybe even a leather one for riskier pieces, whatever you need to do). Obviously, some wood is simply firewood. But to dismiss wood because it isn't 100% sound is, in my opinion, overly cautious.

Even with the necessary precautions, one could still get hurt. Even with a 100% sound piece of wood (if there is such a thing). Maybe we need a LatheStop with "Catch Technology"...:rolleyes: I can see the commercials now... I just can't figure out where the weiner will come into play.