PDA

View Full Version : How to run my 240v electric

Wade Lippman
02-18-2013, 7:29 PM
I have to put in 3 outlets for 240v tools; only ever used one at a time. Two possible ways to do it.

1) Run the cable over the ceiling to first machine, along the wall to the second machine, over the ceiling to the third machine. Total length about 70'. While the third machine is only 11a, I figure that even if I put a 18a machine in later the voltage drop is only 1.7%

2) Run the cable to a junction box on the ceiling. Run one cable over the ceiling to the first two machines 40'. Run the second to the last machine 30'.

Same amount of cable, but #1 is largely along joists while #2 is through joists.
So, #1 is much easier, but I can't get over the fact that #2 is a shorter maximum length. But since 70' is not excessive, #1 is fine, right?
Oh I hate decisions; it is so much easier when there is only one reasonable choice.

Jim Andrew
02-18-2013, 9:47 PM
Call me crazy, but I have all my 240 machines wired up separately. Took some extra wire, but just went from the breaker box over the ceiling and hung a plug down from the ceiling. The #8 wire for the sander was longest and the most expensive, as copper hit a new high after I bought the sander.

Mike Cutler
02-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Wade

Yes you can "daisy chain" 240 and no there is nothing wrong with it. However,,,,, You say only one machine will be running at a time, I think maybe 2 will be running simultaneously, sometime in the future. Put the Dust Collector on it's own 240 breaker, and let the rest fall out around that. Your DC is the one load that will probably be your "average" largest continuos load.
Solution #2 has 8 conductors, minimum 12awg, plus ground in a single junction box. If you do it, make sure you have the proper sized box, and wire nuts..

Carl Beckett
02-18-2013, 10:30 PM
I ran a chain of outlets for the ones that are 'one at a time': jointer. Planer. Sander. Band saw. (actually these are split between two circuits, just half the outlets on each because I put in more outlets than I need simply for moving stuff around.

Then a separate circuit for compressor

Then a separate circuit for dust collector

I would choose #1. The length won't matter. But I have an aversion to junction boxes so would avoid it if possible.

(NOT an electrician)

Wade Lippman
02-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Wade

Yes you can "daisy chain" 240 and no there is nothing wrong with it. However,,,,, You say only one machine will be running at a time, I think maybe 2 will be running simultaneously, sometime in the future. Put the Dust Collector on it's own 240 breaker, and let the rest fall out around that. Your DC is the one load that will probably be your "average" largest continuos load.
Solution #2 has 8 conductors, minimum 12awg, plus ground in a single junction box. If you do it, make sure you have the proper sized box, and wire nuts..

I already have a 30a circuit in for the DC. This is a 20a circuit for the tool.

I was taught that junction boxes are a sign of poor workmanship; don't know how true that is, but I also have an aversion to them. But short runs are nice also...
With some people supporting chaining, I will do that. Thanks.

fred klotz
02-18-2013, 10:47 PM
I've wired my shop way beyond anything I think I will need, mostly for convenience in changing/rearranging things. In the process, I daisy chained also. In a thread here, maybe 6 months ago, a similar topic came up, and some one responded that daisy chaining is not ok on 240 volt circuits. And cited NEC. And the poster also said it didn't make any sense, as long as the wire was protected by the proper breaker. I think the original post was a question about two machines on the same circuit, requiring widely different amperages, and the consensus was to run the proper gauge for the higher draw, with the proper breaker.

Having wired quite a few residences, I was surprised that daisy chaining wasn't allowed by NEC on 240V. But thinking about it, in a residence, every 240V breaker was a dedicated circuit.

So, be aware, and check the code, if it is relevant to your situation.