PDA

View Full Version : Dumb, really dumb

Bob Glenn
02-18-2013, 6:25 PM
I usually hang out in Neander, however, making Windsor chairs requires some lathe work for the legs. Since I do so little turning, I converted my metal lathe so I can turn wood rather than add to an over crowded garage with another machine. I mounted a tool rest to the cross feed tool holder, which by the way will move the length of lathe bed with the powered lead screw so you can turn screw threads.

I had center bored some wooden end caps for a wooden screw vise and had to back the tail stock out to turn a leg. I had to engage the lead screw to move the tool holder back into the middle of the lathe bed. This was in the reverse rotation that you use to turn wood. (Anyone see what's coming?)

So I chucked up a nice piece of walnut and happily started in with my roughing gouge. All of a sudden the lathe started making very unusual noises, ones I'd never heard before. It seemed to be timed with rotation of the wood. At first I thought a shard of wood was coming of the freshly hewed log. I stepped back and turned the lathe off, wondering what was going on, then I saw the problem. I had left the lead screw engaged and the tool rest was being driven in to contact with the three jaw chuck.

No harm, no foul, however, dumb.

Steve Kennedy
02-18-2013, 6:44 PM
The only person that never makes a mistake is the one that doesn't do anything!

ray hampton
02-18-2013, 7:32 PM
I did the same mistake with the lead screw and was surprise as how difficult it were to move the tool post back away from the chuck

glenn bradley
02-18-2013, 7:59 PM
Excitement! Excitement! I really hate excitement in the shop. Glad there was no damage.

charlie knighton
02-18-2013, 8:08 PM
weird noise, time to stop, good for you, you should be able to add embellishments with your metal lathe that a wood lathe can only dream of doing, when you finish your chair try some some boxes and embellishment the top or bottom