PDA

View Full Version : Broken belt on PC Random Orbit for second time. What new sander?

Wes Billups
02-18-2013, 5:25 PM
I've broken the little O-ring belt on my PC sander for the second time and am thinking it's time to upgrade. I'd like to stay under $100 and have been relatively happy with this sander as it's 15+ years old I just hate to spend any more on it as the pad is nearly worn out as well. I'm looking for suggestions on what is the best quality/cost random orbit out there right now.

Current broken sander:

Part #37 is what is broken:

I'm thinking of this sander as I know I've seen it for under $70 but the cheapest right now is $115.

Any feedback would be appreciated. If someone knows where I can get a replacement part for under $3, I may go this route and just watch for a better sander to go on sale in the future.

Thanks,
Wes Billups

Dick Mahany
02-18-2013, 7:20 PM
I have the same sander, about the same vintage as yours. My pad brake o-ring has worn out, but not broken yet, and the sander actually woks better in that condition IMHO (although it can accellerate quickly when lifted off the surface). I have replaced the pad twice, fortunately HD stock them. Not a bad little sander, so I'll just keep mine going. The two o-rings that hold the dust canister have worn out on mine, but I only use it with dust collection any more.

Todd Hyman
02-18-2013, 7:54 PM
I've broken the little O-ring belt on my PC sander for the second time and am thinking it's time to upgrade. I'd like to stay under $100 and have been relatively happy with this sander as it's 15+ years old I just hate to spend any more on it as the pad is nearly worn out as well. I'm looking for suggestions on what is the best quality/cost random orbit out there right now.

Current broken sander:

Part #37 is what is broken:

I'm thinking of this sander as I know I've seen it for under $70 but the cheapest right now is $115.

Any feedback would be appreciated. If someone knows where I can get a replacement part for under $3, I may go this route and just watch for a better sander to go on sale in the future.

Thanks,
Wes Billups

The PC 390 is $69.99 at Woodcraft good until 2/28. Not sure what the difference is between the PC 390 and PC390K. The K is probably for the kit.

Lee Schierer
02-18-2013, 8:20 PM
The two o-rings that hold the dust canister have worn out on mine, but I only use it with dust collection any more.

You can take a screw type radiator clamp, place it around the open end of the dust bin and tighten it. It won't take a lot and the o-rings will grip again.

I have the same sander and really like it. I would look for a sharp edge somewhere or perhaps the Oring isn't getting put on correctly. I've had mine for 10-12 years (possibly more) and I think it is on the original o-ring.

Robert Chapman
02-18-2013, 8:23 PM
I have a 390K - the new PC sander you have pictured - and it doesn't fit my hand well. When I use it I find myself grabbing it under the cord and on the dust port. Otherwise it has plenty of power and does a decent job. I think it also has a brushless motor. I'd grab one and see how it feels before you buy one.

Dell Littlefield
02-18-2013, 9:04 PM
I have the same sander and it gets pretty uncomfortable if you have a lot of sanding to do. For me, its best feature is the quick stop once it is turned off.

Jim Andrew
02-18-2013, 9:27 PM
I'm on the 3rd pad on my Bosch, keeps on running. When it screws up, I'm planning to send it to the service center to be refurbished.

Dick Mahany
02-18-2013, 9:38 PM
You can take a screw type radiator clamp, place it around the open end of the dust bin and tighten it. It won't take a lot and the o-rings will grip again.

I have the same sander and really like it. I would look for a sharp edge somewhere or perhaps the Oring isn't getting put on correctly. I've had mine for 10-12 years (possibly more) and I think it is on the original o-ring.

I don't want to hijack the OP thread, but thanks for a great suggestion. Zero cost fix as I have many of those clamps around:)

Carl Beckett
02-18-2013, 10:24 PM
I have a Bosch for .... 20+ years now? (oh my.... Time flies)

Would buy again. (considerably more than $70 though)

Ben Reese
02-20-2013, 8:22 AM
I almost bought the PC but went with a Dewalt 8 yrs ago. In fact I keep 2 of them in my shop. I use them so much that I have had to replace the velcro pad a couple of times on one of them. The pads are usually in stock at Home Depot for less than $20. The last time I went ahead and bought 2 to have one on hand. I have been exttremely pleased with the service we've gotten from the Dewalts.