PDA

View Full Version : Hicksville Planing Mill

Jon Wilson
02-18-2013, 4:19 PM
This is a bit silly and a complete shot in the dark...

Anyone in the Western Maryland area, or coming through this way want to take a newbie to Hicksville Planing Mill??
The wife and I took a ride out there today but the whole process was a tad overwhelming, there was wood EVERYWHERE!!!

I'm still way to green to be at a place like that, way to many species of wood to look at.

I'm not looking to but a bunch of wood , just need a few bf for a couple small boxes I have planned for the near future.
Just want better wood than any of the big box stores have to offer.

David Nelson1
02-18-2013, 4:27 PM
Make up your mind what you need before you go ask a few polite question and I'm sure they will help you. I can't go to the Bass Pro near Baltimore. Way to may choices, I even had a list of what I wanted and walked out with nothing other than a few shirts. Couldn't make up my mind. LOL They did save a few hundred though. Do you have the tools you need to deal with raw lumber?

"Gary Smith"
02-18-2013, 9:45 PM
When you go up there, you need to act like you own the place! Oak, Cherry, Pine and Popular will be stacked all over the place. Most others are stacked up high and any of the workers will get what you ask for but you won't get a lot of help with deciding on what you want.
If you are looking for someone to take time with you, maybe you should visit Frederick Hardwoods (goole it for info). If you go real early in the morning you might find them to be a little more helpful

Stephen Cherry
02-18-2013, 10:05 PM
When you go up there, you need to act like you own the place! Oak, Cherry, Pine and Popular will be stacked all over the place. Most others are stacked up high and any of the workers will get what you ask for but you won't get a lot of help with deciding on what you want.
If you are looking for someone to take time with you, maybe you should visit Frederick Hardwoods (goole it for info). If you go real early in the morning you might find them to be a little more helpful

Do you mean Hardwoods inc in Frederick? They are a good place- clean, neat, organized and polite, not cheap though. (not out of site for pricing, just not cheap)

Jon- do you know what you are looking for? Hearne hardwoods has a good "wood encyclopedia" with just about everything.

Alden Miller
02-22-2013, 8:32 AM
Jon, I could be talked into a trip to Hicksville. I don't need any huge amount of wood right now but I'd be willing to go and pick out some wood to play with. When would you want to go?

I am in Howard County so it's a little over an hour for me but I've been going there for years. Robert Miller is the owner and Robert Petri is his number one man. I always ask Robert Miller for a family discount. Never works but always gets a laugh.

-Alden

Jeff Bartley
02-22-2013, 8:43 AM
Jon,
Don't be afraid to ask questions, just have an idea of what you're after first. I went there years ago and found them to be really helpful, good prices, and it's the type of place that might have 1 or 2 common grade which is way cheaper. For small boxes you can save $ by using 1 or 2 common and just cut around any defects.
Hardwoods Inc is a nice place too, they certainly have enough selection, and they're very helpful. It's worth the trip just too oogle all the exotic woods! But you'll spend more, especially when comparing prices on domestic lumber.
Why not get lumber from both for the full experience?