PDA

View Full Version : Bird Watching

Lee Schierer
02-18-2013, 8:33 AM
I was watching the birds at our feeder yesterday morning when I first saw this guy. I got my camera and finally late in the afternoon, I was able to snap a couple of pictures. The photo quality isn't the best, but he would fly away anytime I got close to the window.
I have no idea whether this is just an old bird, has some sort of disease or if he ran into something. If you look closely you can also see that his upper beak is chipped. He seems to fly okay and the other cardinals we have don't seem to bother him.

Rudy Ress
02-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Looks like a male cardinal that is loosing some head feathers. The other photo shows both the male and female cardinal.

David Weaver
02-18-2013, 11:30 AM
It looks like he's lost a fight for territory or something. Though I can't imagine cardinals being able to chip each others' beaks. Maybe he flew into a window.

Matt Marsh
02-18-2013, 11:41 AM
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/BaldBirds.htm

Matt Marsh
02-18-2013, 11:47 AM
I think it's probably mites. The reason that the head is the only place affected, is that it's the only place on its body that it cannot preen.

http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~insrisg/nature/nw98/baldbirds.html

Lee Schierer
02-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Looks like a male cardinal that is loosing some head feathers. The other photo shows both the male and female cardinal.

Actually both photos are of the same bird taken a few seconds apart. It is a male cardinal less head feathers.

David Weaver
02-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Is bird #2 a cardinal, or is it a purple finch?

Jim Rimmer
02-18-2013, 1:02 PM
Photo 2 looks like he may have been plinked at with a BB or pellet gun. Or maybe he just had rough Saturday night. :D

Sam Murdoch
02-18-2013, 2:06 PM
Maybe he just goes to the same the same salon :D

Paul Saffold
02-18-2013, 2:06 PM
The second bird in the second picture looks like a female cardinal.

The male looks like he just go back from New Orleans' Marti Gras.

Bill Cunningham
02-18-2013, 2:38 PM
Could be a Zombie Cardinal (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1633302/) Don't let it bite you! :eek:

David Weaver
02-18-2013, 3:28 PM
I think the second one is definitely a purple finch (or a similar kind of finch), only because the wings of a cardinal don't look like that. Females have less white on their wings, and sometimes (always?) red coloration at the edges.

Purple finches and cardinals have the same-looking beaks.

I am no bird watcher, but recall as a kid that there were 5 purple finches (or more) for every bird you wanted to see at my dad's feeders, and he always groaned about purple finches and blue jays.

Female cardinals often hang back or walk on the ground, as the males deliver food to the females as a courtship thing.

They also have an orangish beak that matches the males.

Lee Schierer
02-18-2013, 4:43 PM
Is bird #2 a cardinal, or is it a purple finch?

It is a male cardinal, no purple finches were involved with these photos. Both photos are of exactly the same bird a male cardinal missing all head feathers. The photos were taken 5 seconds apart.

We do get house finches, but they were not around when these photos were taken.

Paul Saffold
02-18-2013, 5:14 PM
Lee, I believe it is the second bird in the second picture that is being questioned. Just to the right of the male cardinal.
I believe it is a female cardinal, others believe it is a finch.

David, purple finches are not very common anymore, but house finches, which look similar, the males both have red, are more common.

Jim Becker
02-18-2013, 5:17 PM
Yea, a male cardinal with an issue...could be mites or some other affliction. Or maybe a fight with another bird.

Sam Murdoch
02-18-2013, 5:29 PM
Lee, I believe it is the second bird in the second picture that is being questioned. Just to the right of the male cardinal.

David, purple finches are not very common anymore, but house finches, which look similar, the males both have red, are more common.

I'm voting house finch. It is difficult to see but the 2nd bird at the right side of the cardinal in the 2nd photo is more evidently a male house finch. The beak is the wrong color for a cardinal - male or female - and the wing bars are white as seen on the male house finch. The wing tips of the female cardinal would be red and without the distinctive pattern seen here.

Jim Underwood
02-18-2013, 5:34 PM
I think that's a Cardinal Buzzard. Look out, he'll start vandalizing your dog's dead squirrel stash... :D

Lee Schierer
02-18-2013, 5:45 PM

The second bird in the second photo is in fact a house finch. I was paying so much attention to the bald cardinal that I didn't see the second bird.

Don Morris
02-19-2013, 8:22 AM
I have had two cardinals with head mites. Both looked similar to the original photos. In fact one of them was the father of a nest in the dogwood which sits smack in the center of our yard. We watched as the nest was built, populated, and the young hatched. He was attentive and the family was successful. Unfortunately, cardinals don't often nest in the same place twice, although the nest withstood several strong storms into the following year. Over the years our bird feeders support several families of cardinals, but only twice have I had males with that condition.

David Weaver
02-19-2013, 8:38 AM

Yeah, I have to stretch back to remember what was at a feeder in SCPA about 20 years ago. What happened to purple finches, did they get pushed out by something else?

They came to our feeders in gobs and kept all of the *desirable* birds from being able to eat. Wherever they went, I wish the european starlings would follow them.

Bill Edwards(2)
02-19-2013, 9:50 AM
Could be a Zombie Cardinal (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1633302/) Don't let it bite you! :eek:

Seeds! must have seeds!

Phil Thien
02-19-2013, 5:48 PM
I'd hate to be a cardinal right now, don't get me started on the stress involved in (for example) selecting a new pope.

Larry Whitlow
02-23-2013, 9:02 PM
i think it is a mohawk.

Rich Stewart
03-01-2013, 10:06 AM
That is a married Cardinal.

Tom Fischer
03-02-2013, 5:55 PM
A pair of Hooded Mergansers showed up in the pond yesterday.
March 1. Guess they have a calendar.
I watched him go right into the "courting dance" then mating, in the pond.
And synchronized divers. Just amazing.
David Attenborough stuff.
Should have had the movie camera charged. My mistake.
This pic from this morning, from nearly 100 yards (they definitely DO NOT like people being nearby)
They will be in Canada week after next.
Bon Voyage!