PDA

View Full Version : When life gives you lemons.....

Kathy Marshall
02-17-2013, 10:36 PM
You use the wood for turning! Ok, so I can't say for sure that it's lemon wood, but it is citrus wood.
I've passed up so much citrus wood before because it always looked so bland. Wish I would have tried it earlier, but at least it's something that comes available pretty often.
It cuts very nice, has very tight grain and sands up great.
This is just a simple closed bowl form. The finish is just a coat of sanding sealer. Oil would have changed the color and I wanted the yellow to stay yellow. The little spots in the bottom of the bowl are just very small bark inclusions, they give a little bit of added character.
It's about 9" x 4".

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Hayes Rutherford
02-17-2013, 11:11 PM
Looks tasty!

Montgomery Scott
02-17-2013, 11:59 PM
"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Brian Kent
02-18-2013, 12:28 AM
I am surprised. Inever knew why we didn't use citrus trees for woodworking. I'll keep my eyes open now, since there is a lot of citrus around Escondido. Now, what about avocado trees?

Thom Sturgill
02-18-2013, 7:43 AM
Lemon wood is a classic wood for archery bows - of course nearly all bows are composite materials these days. We get LOTS of citrus down here in Florida, but have to turn it quick as a fungus attacks the dead tree and quickly turns the yellow wood brown, so turn to thickness and seal.