PDA

View Full Version : Miniature Furniture Help...

Derek Arita
02-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Wood is getting so expensive these days, that I can't afford to build like I used to...this is after all, a hobby for me. As a result, I'm thinking more about trying to build miniature furniture or what used to be called, salesman's samples. Does anyone have experience with this? Do you use plans for full sized furniture and size it down or is there a difference in construction of miniatures?

Lee Schierer
02-18-2013, 8:40 AM
I would think that if this is a selling tool then you would want the joinery to match what the final piece would look like only scaled down to the size of the item.

If it is just going to be doll furniture, then joinery can be pretty crude as it won't see any real working stresses.

Derek Arita
02-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Salesman samples are supposed to be scaled down versions of the real thing, however practically speaking, I don't know what's doable with your average shop tools, with average skills. Also, what about things like material thickness and joinery...do they get scaled down as well? If so, does that require special saw blades, router bits, etc.?

'Jacques Malan'
02-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Traditional dollshouse furniture is scaled at 1:12, Barbie size is 1:8.

Duplicating tenons and things at that level is almost impossible, so you will start selecting woods according to how much detail you can get out of it.

And you will learn how to work with a magnifying glass.

And I've 2 dollshouses looking at me and I just don't have time.

Matthew Hills
02-18-2013, 11:22 AM
What have you been building and what wood have you been using?

As an example of an ambitious project that is slightly downsized, how about this 18"x26" spice chest:
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/editors-blog/why-build-a-spice-chest

Matt

Bill Bukovec
02-18-2013, 9:42 PM
Hi Derek,

For doll furniture, I take a full size measurements and divide them by 3.

I don't worry about it being a perfect reproduction.

johnny means
02-18-2013, 11:10 PM
Hi Derek,

For doll furniture, I take a full size measurements and divide them by 3.

I don't worry about it being a perfect reproduction.

I did a couple of 1/3 scale beds. They end up a lot bigger than you think, almost like toddler furniture. Most furniture for 1/3 scale dolls is made much smaller than 1/3.

Derek Arita
02-18-2013, 11:51 PM
Divided by 3...hmmm...sounds bigger than I thought, but a nice size.