PDA

View Full Version : Need a new scroll saw...advice please

Ben Reese
02-17-2013, 4:41 PM
I think that it is getting time to replace my Dremel 1680. I use my scroll saw occasionally, though not as much as I used to. I would like to get a good, easy blade change, minimum vibration scroll saw without paying a 4 figure price for it. (I would probably never recoup my $ from one that expensive) I did see a reasonable Hegner on Craigs but it would have been a 700 mile round trip., Whew!

Any advice on a brand and model, please. Thanks guys.

Stephen Cherry
02-17-2013, 8:32 PM
Ben- one option is the older, made in Canada, Dewalt. I've got one and it works fine. Target price, maybe 250-300?

Jim Finn
02-17-2013, 8:46 PM
Hegner is about the best saw out there. It is the most durable. I agree 700 miles is a long drive though. I drove only two hours each way to buy a used one. I had a DeWalt and it is a good cutting saw but died after using it only 20 months.

Mike Henderson
02-17-2013, 9:49 PM
Where are you located? Someone may be able to offer you something, or point you to something, if they know where you are.

Mike

Ben Reese
02-18-2013, 8:37 AM
I live in Ft. Mitchell, Ala. It's below Phenix City, Ala and Columbus Ga. Only things I've seen around here are the old C-arm Delta's and old Craftsman. I may be wrong, but with those choices I think I'd do better to repair the Dremel I have. I just thought since I was buying I'd upgrade a little. Thanks

Cary Falk
02-18-2013, 9:48 AM
I live in Ft. Mitchell, Ala. It's below Phenix City, Ala and Columbus Ga. Only things I've seen around here are the old C-arm Delta's and old Craftsman. I may be wrong, but with those choices I think I'd do better to repair the Dremel I have. I just thought since I was buying I'd upgrade a little. Thanks

The old C-arm Delta's are great saws.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0526.jpg

Bryan Cramer
02-18-2013, 1:40 PM
The old C-arm Delta's are great saws.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0526.jpg
They are a great saw unless you are trying to use very small blades, it can't tension or hold them as well. My Powermatic works best with coping saw blades. The blade clamps will not hold anything below a #9 blade. They used to call them jigsaws, that is what they still are. Consider them a precision jigsaw, not a modern scroll saw. I like mine to do the occasional interior cuts I can't make with my band saw. It will last you your lifetime though. I also got a 220 V3 RBI Hawk on Craigslist for $200. I had been waiting for one for 2 years.