PDA

View Full Version : New Saw (I've Been Smalserized!!!)

David Fried
05-04-2005, 5:09 PM
I was reading one of Bob Smalser's fascinating boat posts and it referred to an earlier post. I pulled up the list of threads started by Bob and found he had posted several tutorials. One was on building a coping saw. Since I had some scrap left from my March project (still unfinished :eek: ), I decided to make the saw as my April project. I think finishing in the first week of May is pretty good :rolleyes: . I do vow not to start a May project until I finish that March one!

I selected and laid out some scraps (photo 1 ). The ruler, shown for scale, is a seven inch ruler! What a deal, an extra inch!
I did my best to redraw Bob's plan, full size, and transfered it to the wood using carbon paper (photo 2).
Photo 3 shows the parts laid out on Bob's original plan. All that remained was to turn the handle.
The last two photos are of the finished saw. It was soaked in a BLO mix and finished with tung oil, rubbed out with bees wax.

My version might not hold up to professional use since my scrap was Tiger Maple which is pretty but not the straight grained, rift cut Bob recommended. I used brass rod and cold-rolled steel rod from the hardware store instead of the drill rod the plans called for. No one around here seemed to know what that was.:confused: I used brass tubing from the hardware store for the ferral rather than turning down a hose fitting, as Bob did. It just seemed easier.

As my saw will live a charmed life in my shop, only seeing occasional light use, I think it will be OK .

Thanks Bob - I really like it. Time to post more tutorials!

Kent Parker
05-04-2005, 5:19 PM
REAL NICE!!

Looks like it would be a gas to use. Definitely a display tool. Hang it up in the shop where all can see and Gloat:cool:

kp

Jeff Sudmeier
05-04-2005, 6:20 PM
Wow, that sure is a nice looking saw! I would not want to use it! :)

Mark Singer
05-04-2005, 6:50 PM
David,

Really excellent! I think Bob will agree and hes the man that knows....

Bob Smalser
05-04-2005, 7:50 PM
Hey! Looks great.

A magazine bought that article but wants their own pics instead of mine. Long story short... I sent their editor the materials and he's gonna make one in the mag's shop with their own photographer.

Hope his comes out as nice as yours. ;)

Dennis McDonaugh
05-04-2005, 9:19 PM
Nice looking saw David, and congrats on the article Bob. I gotta make me one of those.

Erin Raasch
05-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Very nice - beautiful wood and a beautiful finish. That's been on my project list since Bob first posted the tutorial, hope I find time to get to it this year.

Bob, congratulations on the article, which magazine, and any idea of when it will be published?

Erin

Jerry Palmer
05-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Hey! Looks great.

A magazine bought that article but wants their own pics instead of mine. Long story short... I sent their editor the materials and he's gonna make one in the mag's shop with their own photographer.

Hope his comes out as nice as yours. ;)

So which mag and which tentative issue? If this info would violate SMC policy, drop me a PM or e-mail at:

jerrypalmer82@hotmail.com

Definitely want to support another SMCer by picking up a copy if it's not one I subscribe to.

Bob Smalser
05-06-2005, 2:07 PM
Popular Woodworking bought it but I have no idea when they'll use it.

Sometimes they plan these mag layouts 18mo in advance.