PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Bandsaw Table

Jim Barrett
02-16-2013, 4:21 PM
I have a MM16 BS that I purchased in 2004. Nice saw but rarely if ever do any resawing. I do some joinery with the BS but I find the table is too small. Thinking about selling the MM and buying something with a bigger table...any suggestions? Don't need all the HP that the MM provides...table on the MM is 17.75 x 24.5"...Would like something closer to 24x24" or so...

Jim

Chris Padilla
02-16-2013, 4:24 PM
Consider building a bigger table that you can add to the top. I built in extensions on mine that I can take off and on when I have some serious planks to resaw.

David Kumm
02-16-2013, 4:27 PM
I built a table from mdf with formica and set it on top of the cast iron. I remounted the fence and put a miter slot in. Dave

Jim Barrett
02-16-2013, 4:34 PM
I built a table from mdf with formica and set it on top of the cast iron. I remounted the fence and put a miter slot in. Dave

Do you have a picture of that setup you could share?

John Bailey
02-16-2013, 6:39 PM
My Oliver 192-D (18") has a 24"x26" table. It is very nice to have that size for general use. I'd hate to give up that MM if I was you. Try contacting MM to sew if they have some options. I don't suppose you'd be lucky enough to have the MM 24 have the same attachments.

John

David Kumm
02-16-2013, 6:55 PM
Do you have a picture of that setup you could share?

No, it went on my ACM 18 that I have in storage now. It was just 3/4" mdf with a hardwood 1x2 under the edges. The front was a little thicker to give the rip fence tube more support. Underneath was a subframe of 3/4" stock that fit tightly around the cast iron table and was clamped to it with c clamps. Saw a kerf into the top to let the blade out and drill some holes for the dust around the blade and you are good to go. Dave

glenn bradley
02-16-2013, 8:16 PM
I agree, especially if you don't resaw much, that an additional table of whatever size suits you laid on top would be optimal. You could even use the miter slot as an alignment aid for returning the expansion table to position after blade changes. Another option would be to just add more table off the back similar to an extension wing on a tablesaw.