PDA

View Full Version : Half Blind Dovetails on a Leigh Jig

Ken Krawford
02-16-2013, 2:44 PM
I've got 16 drawers that need half blind dovetails. I've got an old Leigh jig (1258R) and the scale on the finger assembly is only incremented in 1/16's so adjustments to the finger assembly is only approximate once the pointer leaves the 1/16 lines. I would like to cut one of the components (pins or tails) all at once and then rotate the finger assembly and cut the corresponding mate. I know that if the tails are too deep in the pins, that you move the finger assembly out. I also know that if the joint is too loose, you lower the cutter.
Which component (tails or pins) would leave me room for tweaking if the fit is slightly off? In other words, should I cut all the pins first and then cut 1 tail for a trial fit and adjust or should I do the tails first? Please don't tell me neither of these options will work:rolleyes:.
I've already made a test joint but it doesn't seem to be 100% reproducible once the finger assembly has been rotated.
Thanks for you help and I hope this made sense.

Jay Jolliffe
02-16-2013, 3:36 PM
I bought the 24" about 10 yrs ago & upgraded all the components to be as a new one but ever used it. I tried but I couldn't get it to do a decent job so I gave up. I know the newer book that you can get for it is much better than the one that came with. So now it sits collecting saw dust until I want to try it again...

Ole Anderson
02-16-2013, 6:27 PM
I am planning on half blind drawer dovetails also with my Leigh jig, never did half blinds on it though. On my old Rockler-like jig, the pins and tails were cut at the same time in one pass. Not so on the Leigh? Maybe I better pull out the book and study up.

Chris Rosenberger
02-16-2013, 6:45 PM
It makes no difference which you cut first, pins or tails. Just set the scale as close as you can to the correct setting for one or the other of the joints & put a mark on each scale for that setting. Cut those parts, then flip the template, set the scales as close as you can & make a test cut. If adjustments need to be made, make adjustments & test cuts until you have it dialed in. Then put marks on the scales to mark the setting. I like to cut the joint a little deep to allow for glue in the joints. If you want to make more drawers later with the same thickness material, make notes of what thickness material the marks you put on the scales go with.