PDA

View Full Version : 5 inch Random Orbit Sanders

kevin nee
02-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Hello, My Klingspor (Bosch) 5 in ROS is getting tired. It has served me very well. I am looking for any suggestions on replacing this. I am looking to upgrade without breaking the bank. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Kevin

Damon Stathatos
02-16-2013, 11:17 AM
If you have air (and vac), Rockler has this Dynabrade (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=32044&site=ROCKLER&filter=dynabrade) on sale which is a 'screaming' deal. It comes with a vac hose and air hose to boot !

There's a lot of truth in the old saying...'once you've switched to air, you never go back.'

Mel Fulks
02-16-2013, 11:50 AM
One thing that gets overlooked,even in commercial shops is the orbit size. I think there are three,often in ads,there is no mention of which one is being offered. Effects how fast material is removed and scratch pattern.When I've heard complaints about sanders making scratches they are using one with the biggest orbit.

Kevin Groenke
02-16-2013, 11:52 AM
I would recommend the Milwaukee 6021-21 (http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/milwaukee-random-orbit-sanders/milwaukee-random-orbit-sanders,default,sc.html). We've tried many of the sub $100 units in a school shop where they take considerable abuse. We try to catch dust at the source, so a vacuum adapter and a tool triggered vac are almost always employed. After breaking (switches/dust collection port/adapter) and frequent replacement of wear parts (the brake disc that prevents free spinning) on Dewalt, Bosch, Metabo/Rigid and PorterCable units we found and have settled on the Milwaukee. The dust bag/vacuum adapter on this one is nearly indestructible which cannot be said for any of the others (it's also effective). We haven't had a single switch/variable speed failure in a couple of years and there are no wear parts that require frequent replacement. As a bonus, the tool is nicely balanced, feels good in the hand and sands well. The dustbag/vac adapter is easily modified to be a vacuum adapter only (and spares are cheap).

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=243434&d=1350419488&thumb=1 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=243434&d=1350419488)

Rob Feldner
02-16-2013, 11:52 AM
It's actually a 6" model, but I highly reccomend this Metabo:
http://www.amazon.com/Metabo-TurboTec-Watt-Electronic-Sander/dp/B0019IF93U
They'll run for countless hours, won't vibrate the bejesus out of your hands, and leave a great finish. Aside from how well it sands, the two things I always look for in a sander is how much vibration you feel and the availability of parts if you do eventually have a problem.
Rob

Rich Engelhardt
02-16-2013, 12:10 PM
I bought a DeWalt 5" single speed for about $50.
It's been a great sander so far, but, when it dies I'll get something else.

Replacement pads for it run about $20.
That's crazy expensive for a $50 sander.

scott vroom
02-16-2013, 12:47 PM
You'll get as many different sander recommendations as you will recommenders...lol.

I've got a Porter Cable 390K. Probably about as good as most in that class. It's shorter than most palms, giving it a lower center of gravity which makes for easier control, but it's also a beast so not good if you have a smallish hand. Cost $145 on Amazon. I'm not familiar with the Kingspor you referenced so don't know whether the 390K is an upgrade or downgrade.

Julian Tracy
02-16-2013, 1:32 PM
I think that PC unit is brushless as well. I might be corrected on that though...

JT

Chris E Smith
02-17-2013, 7:54 AM
I have a PC that I have had to replace the H&L pad on twice because the material between the mounting plate side and sandpaper side disintegrated. The replacement part was 20-25$ which seemed expensive. Last time this happened I found a dense foam block that was intended for yoga or some other exercise. I sliced a slab off with the bandsaw then using the old PC pad traced the outline and cut the discs out with the bandsaw. I glued (gorilla glue) the mounting plate on one side and new hook material to the other and drilled holes through the foam for the dust collection. The new pads work fine and I have several extras for future repairs. Another minor annoyance on this PC sander is that the dust collection cup is held on by friction from an o-ring. Mine flies off all the time and it's about to get a screw or clamp to stop that.
Oh, one possible downside to the yoga block pad is that it is bright purple :).
Chris

John Coloccia
02-17-2013, 7:59 AM
If you change your mind about breaking the bank, check out the Mirka CEROS. There's a demo setup at the Woodcraft in Manchester, CT if you'd like to swing by and check it out.

Anthony Diodati
02-17-2013, 8:31 AM
I would recommend the Milwaukee 6021-21 (http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/milwaukee-random-orbit-sanders/milwaukee-random-orbit-sanders,default,sc.html). We've tried many of the sub $100 units in a school shop where they take considerable abuse. We try to catch dust at the source, so a vacuum adapter and a tool triggered vac are almost always employed. After breaking (switches/dust collection port/adapter) and frequent replacement of wear parts (the brake disc that prevents free spinning) on Dewalt, Bosch, Metabo/Rigid and PorterCable units we found and have settled on the Milwaukee. The dust bag/vacuum adapter on this one is nearly indestructible which cannot be said for any of the others (it's also effective). We haven't had a single switch/variable speed failure in a couple of years and there are no wear parts that require frequent replacement. As a bonus, the tool is nicely balanced, feels good in the hand and sands well. The dustbag/vac adapter is easily modified to be a vacuum adapter only (and spares are cheap).

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=243434&d=1350419488&thumb=1 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=243434&d=1350419488)

"Thank You"
I just brought one, Nothing wrong with my old 2 speed Black & Decker,
Be sure to use the pres15 code for 15% off, it pays your shipping. $58.14 to my door.

Chris Fournier
02-17-2013, 1:24 PM
I know that you have specified 5" ROS but I can tell you that I no longer use my 5" now that I have a 6". The added weight and sanding surface saves me hours of time. I hate to think of how much less time I could have spent sanding in my life if I'd had a 6" ROS years earlier.

Dave Cav
02-17-2013, 10:11 PM
If you have air (and vac), Rockler has this Dynabrade (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=32044&site=ROCKLER&filter=dynabrade) on sale which is a 'screaming' deal. It comes with a vac hose and air hose to boot !

There's a lot of truth in the old saying...'once you've switched to air, you never go back.'

I'll second that. I had recently bought one on Amazon; I heard about the Rockler deal, so I got another one. I love them. Much faster and quieter than an electric, but you do need a 5 HP air compressor to keep up with them.

glenn bradley
02-17-2013, 11:15 PM
When I saw the 1295 preparing to exit the scene, I ordered an extra. When they both die I hope to find one that has that smooth of a scratch pattern without spending a ton.

Steve Keathley
02-18-2013, 12:17 AM
I bought a Rigid ROS in a pinch a couple of years ago, but have been very pleased with it. I know Rigid can be hit and miss, but they make a decent ROS.

Jim Neeley
02-18-2013, 1:14 AM
I'll second that. I had recently bought one on Amazon; I heard about the Rockler deal, so I got another one. I love them. Much faster and quieter than an electric, but you do need a 5 HP air compressor to keep up with them.

You're correct, Dave.. but with all of the misleading advertising out there I'd prefer to spec it as "14 or more CFM @ 90psi", with a 60 gallon or larger tank.

There are too many lies about horsepower on shop vacuums and small horsepower.

If the compressor runs on 120V, it is too small.

Just my $0.02.. YMMV.

Prashun Patel
02-18-2013, 9:42 AM
I have a Bosch 20vs. It's great. I have a Mirka Ceros. It's great. ROS's are like drills; you're better off asking which ones to AVOID, as most people tend to love their's.

The results are IMHO more a function of paper and technique than the ROS. I've gotten very bad results with my Ferrari sander (Ceros) when I rush it, or it skates, or I rush it.

Two things going for the Bosch: good dust collection, and light weight (lower fatigue means longer time until technique drops off...)

John Piwaron
02-18-2013, 9:55 AM
I use a pair of old Porter Cable 333 sanders. I use these with pads for sticky back paper. Though I do have pads for hook 'n loop. It's possible that like most other things technology has advanced and there are better sanding options.

BUT

I'll give them up when they pry them from my cold dead hands. The reason I'm keeping as long as possible is acceptable sanding performance and the circular port for the plastic dust catcher. I no longer use that, I found out almost immediately that my Festool dust extractor will connect directly to them. Since I got that Festool vac, sanding is now a dustless activity. And *that* is the reason I don't try anything else.

So if you have a great vac for the purpose, finding some used PC 333s (sticky back pad) or 334s (same machine but hook 'n loop pad) might be worth the effort.

Jim Neeley
02-18-2013, 2:19 PM
The swirl pattern "residue" is heavily dependent upon the orbit diameter. I have one sander with 3/32" orbit and a pneumatic I-R with a 3/16" orbit. The 3/16" is about 4 times as fast but leaves larger swirls. I-R also makes one with a 3/8" orbit for heavy body work that would be even more aggressive, particularly with coarse paper.

Todd Hyman
02-18-2013, 6:55 PM
You'll get as many different sander recommendations as you will recommenders...lol.

I've got a Porter Cable 390K. Probably about as good as most in that class. It's shorter than most palms, giving it a lower center of gravity which makes for easier control, but it's also a beast so not good if you have a smallish hand. Cost $145 on Amazon. I'm not familiar with the Kingspor you referenced so don't know whether the 390K is an upgrade or downgrade.

The PC 390 is $69.99 at Woodcraft good until 2/28. Not sure what the differnece is between the PC 390 and PC390K. Maybe one is a kit and one is not.