PDA

View Full Version : Need escutcheon pin help!

Tom Hammond
02-16-2013, 7:43 AM
I refinished a c.1900 QS white oak sideboard this past year, and it looks great. I still need to rewax the drawer guides, but otherwise it is in tip-top shape, and looks traditional, not like a new-refinish.

But... I have one minor problem that has turned into a major pain. The escutcheon for the center lock of the main drawer was not on the unit when I bought it. The previous owner had it inside the cabinet. Upon completion of my project, I started to install it, but realized I had no dark escutcheon pins to match. Looking online, only bright brass ones could be found. I finally found a supplier in Connecticut who shipped me some dark pins. They matched great except for one thing... the holes on the escutcheon are too large for the pins' heads. It appears whoever took the excutcheon off the piece simply pulled it off the pins, pulling the heads through the soft metal excutcheon holes. Now I have real problem... my supplier says "sorry... I have nothing big enough for that."

So... ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!!!

Brad Patch
02-16-2013, 9:50 AM
Bright Brass can be darkened by several methods. The one that works for me is to suspend the brass in a closed container of Janitorial strength Amonia. The amonia fumes do the trick.

Jamie Buxton
02-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Maybe brass screws are what will do your job. You can get them in a variety of sizes. You'll probably have to darken them yourself.

glenn bradley
02-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Maybe some possibilities: http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/howto/parts/nails.htm

Michael Heffernan
02-16-2013, 11:21 PM
There are plenty of chemicals that will darken brass. I've used this pre-mixed darkener for harware, pins, escutcheons, etc. Drop the pins in the solution in a glass jar for a while and take them out, rinse off and let them dry. You can buff them with 0000 steel wool or a white synthetic wool to achieve the patina you want.
http://www.amazon.com/Jax-Brown-Patina-Colorant/dp/B0036IRVGY

mike holden
02-18-2013, 2:34 PM
Ignore those holes and drill smaller sized ones in closer to the lock opening. Darken the brass pins appropriately, drill starter holes, and apply. The large holes you currently have look enough like part of the pattern to ignore.
Mike