PDA

View Full Version : 21st birthday

curtis rosche
02-16-2013, 1:44 AM
Ive always seen so much stuff about how the 21st birthday is supposed to be awesome and memeroable if you can remember it,,,, mines been horrible. Said things i didnt mean to say and i hadnt even touched a drink,, just a bad day in general. how was your 21st?:confused:

Tom Fischer
02-16-2013, 4:10 AM
As you get older, you start sneaking a peak at the obits in the local paper. At least I do. After doing that for a few years, you come to realize that birthdays are always good news, NEVER bad. You'll see.

Chuck Wintle
02-16-2013, 7:40 AM
Ive always seen so much stuff about how the 21st birthday is supposed to be awesome and memeroable if you can remember it,,,, mines been horrible. Said things i didnt mean to say and i hadnt even touched a drink,, just a bad day in general. how was your 21st?:confused:

bad days come and go....words and actions take longer to forget. i have said and done things that were regretted...only age and wisdom will help from falling into the trap.

John Shuk
02-16-2013, 7:45 AM
If done right, beating yourself up over things helps avoid doing them in the future. There isn't a man alive that wouldn't change what happened on a particular day here and there. I know I've opened my big mouth many times and wished I could take it back later. You move forward a better man than the day before. A daily struggle.
You have a really good start Curtis.
Happy Birthday.

Myk Rian
02-16-2013, 8:07 AM
how was your 21st?:confused:
That was 43 years ago. I don't remember that far back.

Kevin Bourque
02-16-2013, 9:02 AM
I remember my goal was to drink 21 screwdrivers. I passed out well before attaining that mark.

Matt Meiser
02-16-2013, 9:02 AM
I think I had two finals that day and two more the next.

Rich Engelhardt
02-16-2013, 9:42 AM
how was your 21stIt was in 1973....my ex wife decided she'd rather "go find herself" than be a wife and a mother to 2 year old and a 6 month old.
I remember the evening pretty well. Her parents had invited all 4 of us over to celebrate my 21st birthday w/a steak dinner. The kids and I showed up, my ex called and said she couldn't make it for dinner. That was on a Saturday.
Didn't see or hear from her for the next three days.

Turned out well though. I got full custody of the kids and got remarried to my "amazon temptress" in 1981. :)

Just put the bad day behind you - stash the car keys and toss back a few.
Life really does get better - but - only if you let it.

Von Bickley
02-16-2013, 9:55 AM
I had been drafted and was overseas.......

Chuck Wintle
02-16-2013, 10:19 AM
It was in 1973....my ex wife decided she'd rather "go find herself" than be a wife and a mother to 2 year old and a 6 month old.
I remember the evening pretty well. Her parents had invited all 4 of us over to celebrate my 21st birthday w/a steak dinner. The kids and I showed up, my ex called and said she couldn't make it for dinner. That was on a Saturday.
Didn't see or hear from her for the next three days.

Turned out well though. I got full custody of the kids and got remarried to my "amazon temptress" in 1981. :)

Just put the bad day behind you - stash the car keys and toss back a few.
Life really does get better - but - only if you let it.

Do you know or think she ever regretted those actions? Often, as youth, we make rash decisions and live to repent in leisure.

Chuck Wintle
02-16-2013, 10:20 AM

Army Veteran
NRA Lifetime Member
I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Long live the second amendment!

Chuck Wintle
02-16-2013, 10:21 AM

Long live the second amendment

Rich Engelhardt
02-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Do you know or think she ever regretted those actions? Often, as youth, we make rash decisions and live to repent in leisure.
Chuck,
I don't believe she ever did regret anything.
Her loss though. She missed out on a lot, but, I don't think it really mattered to her.

BTW - thanks to both you and Von for your service.
& yes - 2nd all the way..

Bill Gugel
02-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Maybe you should had a drink , and you're on SMC at 1:44am on your 21st , c'mon . Happy Birthday anyway. Yes mine was fun 28 yrs ago.

David Helm
02-16-2013, 1:29 PM
It was a very long time ago, but I believe I was in an airplane, over the North Pacific, staring at a radar scope. No day off (and my birthday is January 1), no drinks, just another day defending the US from manned aircraft attack from the Soviet Union!

Jim O'Dell
02-16-2013, 3:19 PM
I'm with a few of the others, too long ago to remember exactly what I was doing. ;) I just looked back on Google, it was a Friday. I do know I was in school at Baylor. The LOML had been in Waco for 3 weeks in September hoping to make a substitute teaching job a full time job so we could firm up a wedding date and go ahead and get hitched...didn't happen. Had to put it off until the following August between summer school and she finishing her Masters and my classes starting back up. I probably started out the day at work 7 am to 8 am, class from 8:30 to 1 or 2 pm, sandwich on way back to work until 6 pm, then head to Oklahoma, 250 miles away, that evening to see her and my parents.
The others are right, chill a bit, it will be fine. Talk to those you feel you might have verbally offended to set things right so that the following days won't be just as miserable. Then go do something you really enjoy doing. Maybe that's in the shop, maybe it's a ride or a drive to a favorite spot. I know when I was 14-16 years old, when teenage life was getting the best of me, I'd get on my motorcycle and drive to a secluded spot just out of town behind the Kerr Water Laboratory and just chill. I could work through whatever I perceived to be the problem de jour, make a plan and then be comfortable in it's implementation. I sometimes wish I could go back and do that again. Now my shop serves that purpose. Keep your chin up. It will all work out. Jim.

phil harold
02-16-2013, 3:21 PM
In the army in Korea
so it had to involve drinking and women

Did you really say things you did not mean to say
or
say things out loud, that you do think...

Ted Calver
02-16-2013, 4:04 PM
Fifty years ago--1963....made deans list junior year at SUNY ESF ....two years later started a 27 year career with the USAF. I've said a lot of things I didn't mean to say. I learned that the longer I kept my mouth shut the smarter people thought I was.:) Man up, apologize and admit your shortcomings...it makes you feel better and it's the right thing to do.

Jeff Monson
02-16-2013, 5:07 PM
Well it's not too late to turn it around, be humble, apologize, drink and be merry. I remember my 21st....a little.