PDA

View Full Version : Plasti Dip

Stephen Tashiro
02-16-2013, 12:50 AM
I notice photos on the internet showing people have customized their cars by painting parts of them with Plasti Dip. They seem to get a smooth surface. The last time I tried a product by that name, it was sold as a way of creating tool handles. You were supposed to dip the tool handle, not use a brush. I found it hard to get a smooth surface. Has Plasti Dip become a new product? Or do the car customizers thin it with something?

glenn bradley
02-16-2013, 1:49 AM
It is also offered in a rattle-can now.

Kevin Bourque
02-16-2013, 9:00 AM
Theres a video somewhere of a guy who painted his entire car with truck bed liner stuff. It looked fantastic.

Brian Elfert
02-16-2013, 9:26 AM
Are you sure it is really Plasti Dip and not something else?

Lee Schierer
02-16-2013, 9:31 AM
The lower part of the door panels and fenders on our 95 Miata were spray coated by the factory with a clear rubberized material to prevent paint chips. It looks like paint until you touch it and it has held up extremely well.254449

Jacob Muldowney
02-16-2013, 9:52 AM
It is just the rattle can plastidip. People use it customize all sorts of things now. I saw a thread in another forum where a guy sprayed the back of his phone with it. They even have clear now. It is quite a common practice now for car guys to spray the grill badges on their cars etc.

Jim Becker
02-16-2013, 6:32 PM
A lot of folks on the Grand Cherokee forums I visit use Plastidip to trial their various "black out" schemes before committing to something permanent. What they've pictured seemed to be pretty smooth, but I didn't see any "application notes" from them.

John McClanahan
02-16-2013, 6:49 PM
From what I understand from the FJ Cruiser forum I visit, it can be peeled off if you don't like the look. Sounds like its not designed to be permanent.

John

Jim Becker
02-16-2013, 7:02 PM
From what I understand from the FJ Cruiser forum I visit, it can be peeled off if you don't like the look. Sounds like its not designed to be permanent.

John

This is correct. It's non-permanent. Accordingly, it also shouldn't be expected to last a long time, either, depending on "where" it's been applied.

loren forney
03-05-2013, 3:04 AM
Take a look at this link. http://youtube.com/watch?v=rNY9Dx617N8 Not my cup of tea but the results are amazing. Make sure you watch a couple of the suggested videos so you can watch them peel the stuff from the car.

Loren

Harry Hagan
03-05-2013, 10:03 AM
There’s a neighbor I’d like to Plasti Dip. I wonder how it would work on humans?

Jeff Monson
03-05-2013, 12:14 PM
The lower part of the door panels and fenders on our 95 Miata were spray coated by the factory with a clear rubberized material to prevent paint

chips. It looks like paint until you touch it and it has held up extremely well.254449

Nice car Lee, those Miata's are great little cars.

Chris Padilla
03-05-2013, 8:23 PM
There’s a neighbor I’d like to Plasti Dip. I wonder how it would work on humans?

Be sure to post it on YouTube! ;)

Chris Padilla
03-05-2013, 8:24 PM
So this stuff isn't the stuff typically used to line your truck bed? LineX or Rhino are some "brands" I recall.

Eric McCune
03-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Take a look at this link. http://youtube.com/watch?v=rNY9Dx617N8 Not my cup of tea but the results are amazing. Make sure you watch a couple of the suggested videos so you can watch them peel the stuff from the car.

Loren

Shocked he doesn't wear a respirator in the video. Maybe this stuff protects your lungs too.

Erik Loza
03-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Many guys on my car forums talk about spraying their rims with Plasti-dip as a winterization-thing, to protect from road salt and such. They claim it lasts the season with no maintenance.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA