PDA

View Full Version : scratches under mask on mirror acrylic

Vicki Rivrud
02-15-2013, 3:53 PM
Hi all,
I use mirror acrylic as a back plate for led lit plates & plaques.

Hope someone can offer up a solution or suggestion.

When I take the mask off of the top side of the mirror acrylic, there are are scratches.

How do I "polish" off, fill-in or remove a scratch? I've tried to carefully use the Novus products but therer is still a scratch that the light will come through. It etracts from the cast engraving.

I'm not talking about the mirror coating but the clear top. There isn't a tear in the mask when I receive it but when the mask is carefully removed its scratch.

Any way to salvage a piece?? help?

Thanks
Vicki

George Brown
02-15-2013, 5:07 PM
The only other thing I can think of is to flame polish it. But i may just warp, try on a scrap piece with very gently heating in a localized area.

Rodne Gold
02-15-2013, 5:48 PM
Flame polishing will destroy it , well you will get a "funfair" mirror , even buffing will be noticeable as an abberation in the mirror. What might actually work is to use some vaseline in the scratch , it kinda hides it and stops it from being a refracting disturbance..put some on then wipe the surface clean , you will need some elbow grease to do so . I used to make scratches in my negatives almost dissapear that way when i was into photography.

Chuck Stone
02-15-2013, 5:51 PM
if there's a woodworking store near you, see if they have MicroMesh round pads.
You put them on your ROS and polish. I use them on the acrylic 'window' for
the sandblasting cabinet. If it'll take those scratches out, should work great on
what you're dealing with. Seems to me the set was around $20, maybe $25.
But they'll last forever. Mesh goes from 1500 (equivalent to 400 grit) up to 12000.

Chuck Stone
02-15-2013, 5:52 PM
I used to make scratches in my negatives almost dissapear that way when i was into photography.

What, no nose grease?

Vicki Rivrud
02-15-2013, 6:29 PM
Thanks for the help . . . I don't like playing with fire :eek:. . . I think I'll try the vaseline first.

I read about an aviation windshield product called Plexus, which will do something similiar. Fills the scratch with wax and then polishes it too. The company sent me this: Plexus makes colored plastics vibrant, makes clear plastic virtually transparent, and leaves plastic paints gleaming like new. Plexus seals the pores in plastic surfaces with a micro-thin layer of shiny, protective wax, plastic becomes resistant to debris, oil, scratches, and eventual yellowing. And its anti-static properties repel dust and lint.
Since new plastic is most vulnerable to contaminants and damage, using Plexus early on can help in the long-term protection and maintenance of plastic.
Anyone ever hear of Plexus?

A business associate suggested real Lemon Pledge (not the green formula) as it contains wax.

I'm trying to find it quickly as I have a big project for NASCAR & the Daytona 500, trying to salvage a big piece of mirror that is refracting a small scratch in a blank area.

Thanks,
Vicki

Vicki Rivrud
02-15-2013, 6:55 PM
Flame polishing will destroy it , well you will get a "funfair" mirror , even buffing will be noticeable as an abberation in the mirror. What might actually work is to use some vaseline in the scratch , it kinda hides it and stops it from being a refracting disturbance..put some on then wipe the surface clean , you will need some elbow grease to do so . I used to make scratches in my negatives almost dissapear that way when i was into photography.

Here's an example of a scratch after pulling off the factory mask - any idea how to avoid this??
Of course the smudge comes off but the scratch is the problem

Mike Null
02-15-2013, 7:03 PM
I think I'd contact the supplier and ask them to replace the material.

Joe Pelonio
02-15-2013, 10:49 PM
I read about an aviation windshield product called Plexus, which will do something similiar. Fills the scratch with wax and then polishes it too.

You could even try using Rain-x, you may already have it for your car. I use it on ours and you don't even need to turn on the wipers for mist. It fills the micro pores in the glass and might help if the scratch is not too deep or after you polish it out.