PDA

View Full Version : King Starboard - Anyone laser cut..

Donald Ethredge
02-15-2013, 2:59 PM
I ordered a sample of King Starboard material to see if I could cut on my laser but really not finding a lot of information on laser cutting it.. it is a polyethylene based material from what I can tell. It is used mostly in marine applications which is the reason I purchased it I want to custom make a overhead console from it..

Jim Reinhard
02-15-2013, 3:41 PM
I buy my acrylic from prospect plastic localy .They also have a 100 watt laser and cut acrylic and sell alot of starboard to boaters here in florida.They said me there laser wont cut it.They cut it with a cnc.But let me know how it works for you as I would love to be able to cut it also.

Donald Ethredge
02-15-2013, 4:28 PM
Well went ahead and cut it.. since all I bought was a sample 4 x 4 square. Since it is plastic based the it wants to melt, on the one cut thru I slowed it down and kept it at full power and as you can see it cut all the way thru the only issue was some flash back on the back side so it will need to be raised off platform, so really guess it depends on what you are gong to do with it. Since I want to make some items for my Suzuki Samurai I think I can live with it. I went ahead clean up the discoloration with cleaner.

Jim Reinhard
02-15-2013, 5:40 PM
The starboard i have seen is 1/2 or 3/4 thick .The picture you have looks like 1/4 abs .

Dennis Rech
02-16-2013, 2:02 AM
I ordered a sample of King Starboard material to see if I could cut on my laser but really not finding a lot of information on laser cutting it.. it is a polyethylene based material from what I can tell. It is used mostly in marine applications which is the reason I purchased it I want to custom make a overhead console from it..

It doesn't laser at all well.
It routes beautifully.
Dennis

Keith Outten
02-16-2013, 12:09 PM
The King Starboard product is a solid color and the King Color Core has one color core with a different color cap on the top and bottom. Both are available in 3/4", 1/2" and 1/4" thickness sheets. I have used the Color Core sheet. I purchased a white core with red and a white core with blue to make marine signs and I even made a custom bumper for a golf cart. The Color Core makes an instant sign because you don't have to paint, just route it and hang it. For beach signs this is probably the most durable material that will resist being sandblasted by wind storms.

I'm told that there isn't any adhesive that works with this material so mechanical fastening is the only option. I was also told that paint doesn't stick to this stuff. I have seen some pictures that show people using a propane torch to melt the rough edges of Color Core leaving a very smooth rounded edge.