PDA

View Full Version : Flexible sanding drum sleeves

Doug Carpenter
02-15-2013, 2:34 PM
Does anybody have a source for bulk flexible sanding drums sleeves?

I have a King arthur tools sander. I do custom gunstocks. i sure would like to buy the sleeves in larger quantities than 4 at a time.

Thanks, Doug

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-15-2013, 4:47 PM
Wrong forum but have you tried Klingspore?

Doug Carpenter
02-15-2013, 5:52 PM
Wrong forum but have you tried Klingspore?

What? Im in the wrong forum? I thought wood truners used these for working on bowls. I can't seem to keep out of trouble on this forum.

Looks like Klinspore has them. I guess I wish they weren't so pricey.

Lloyd Keniston
02-15-2013, 7:49 PM
Doug. You can try this place.
http://www.supergrit.com/

Mike Cruz
02-16-2013, 1:01 AM
Doug, good turners don't need sandpaper... Guess that's why I need a LOT!

James Boster
02-16-2013, 7:13 AM
Check out Industrial Abrasives. Pretty sure they have a website. I have used them for belts and sleeves for my spindle sander and have had good service from there products and a great price.

Doug Carpenter
02-17-2013, 7:39 PM
Why was this thread moved?
In the shotgun forum where I spend most of my time the moderators do you the courtesy of letting you know when, where and why they move a thread.
This tool is for turners that make bowls. I just thought that there might be more users of this tool in the turners section.

I appreciate the replies that are helpful.

Mike Cruz
02-17-2013, 9:11 PM
Doug, as a bowl turner, I see no use for sanding sleeves (for turning bowls). If you posted a picture of one (maybe you are talking about something different than what we turners are thinking about), that might help. That said, maybe you've just been misinformed regarding their use for bowl turning. I'm not being sarcastic or rude. Just trying to clarify.

My previous post was, btw, sarcastic...but not toward you.

Chris Fournier
02-17-2013, 11:03 PM
Look in your yellow pages under "abrasives" or google it. There will be someone who can help you out.

Doug Carpenter
02-18-2013, 7:47 AM
Mike,

I can take a joke. No problem.

Here is a link to the website. http://katools.com/carving-tools/guinevere-minature-finishers/
I thought I saw pictures of it being used to finish sand and polish bowls. I can say it is a great tool for the odd shapes of a gunstock.

What bothers me is a thread being moved with out explanation. I understand the mods might feel a thread will get better traction in a another section but a heads up would be nice so you can find it.

Also an answer like "Wrong forum" is not in any way helpful. The desciption says "all thinys spiny" and I felt I would find people with experience with that tool in that section.

"google it" is also another non helpful answer and often posted just to boost ones post count. I know how to use search features. If we all just google everything we wouldn't need forums at all. I thought forums were places to go to share ideas and resourses. In my opinion if a person doesn't have anything other than "google it" to offer then they shouldn't post.

Mike Cruz
02-18-2013, 8:04 AM
Doug, in all honesty, not that I'm the be all and end all of turning, but I've never seen that for bowl turning, nor have I heard of anyone here (or on other turning forums) using one of those for turning/sanding bowls.

All things "spinny" is a bit of a cutsy term that is "turning" people understand. Maybe it is vague. Maybe it shouldn't be there. But what is meant by all things spinny is all things that are spun/created on a lathe...and bowls are just one of those things. So, it means bowls, pens, hollow forms, bottle stoppers, platters, and just about any other thing (that maybe doesn't have a description other than "art") that comes off of a lathe.

As for moving the thread without so much as notice... Yeah, well, welcome. ;) You aren't the first victim and you won't be the last. Sometimes you are notified, sometimes you aren't. Had you started the thread saying "I need sanding drums for this sander that is used for sanding turnings." Then you thread may have stayed in the Turning section. Yeah, I know, I know... semantics. But again, welcome. :rolleyes: