PDA

View Full Version : Fun and Practical Hand Tool Project-- Pair of Shop Built Marking Gauges

Mike Allen1010
02-15-2013, 1:53 PM
Here is a fun, inexpensive project that I thought some of my fellow Neanderthals might enjoy. Below are some pictures of a marking gauge and panel gauge I built for marking stock primarily for ripping (I also use the panel gauge for marking multiples to consistent lengths for crosscutting).

This project didn't take much wood and I use these gauges all the time. It also gave me a chance to incorporate some curved surfaces and work on my precision/ accuracy in creating straight, square reference edges that allow for accurate use of the finished gauges.

I dimension most of my stock by hand, not because I'm a zealot, but because at one time I found myself without stationary power tools and that was the only alternative. Over the years I've become more proficient with hand tools and now I confess that I really enjoy being able to get straight, square, flat workpieces without the noise and dust of electrons.

The body/fences of the gauges are maple and the marking beams are walnut. I used some threaded inserts and threaded rod that I glued some wing nuts to lock the beams in place. I also used a couple pieces of brass left over from a saw building project as pressure plates to hold the beams squarely against the reference surface that is 90° to the fence. HMW plastic is glued to the fence to provide a firm, low friction surface.

The only thing that didn't come from the Borg are the bevel edge, wheel cutters I got from Lee Valley for $5 apiece. FYI, the wheel cutters with the bevel side facing away from the fence (which leaves a straight edge parallel to the reference edge) are called "inside" cutters on the LV website. However, the pictures that appear when you add these to your cart show "outside" cutters (don't ask me how I know this!).

This is my second version of a panel gauge. The first time I bored a hole and chopped the mortice in the fence for the beam. I also had the locking screw coming down vertically through the top of the tool. The end result was I wasn't able to lock the beam absolutely solid within the fence and the small amount of rocking of the beam relative to the fence prevented me from being able to scribe a line that was absolutely parallel to the reference edge, especially on wide, glued up panels.

With these second versions, I ripped the fence at the bottom of where the beam mortice was going to be, which allowed me to saw the Mortice perfectly straight and flat before re-gluing.

I also created a longer bearing/reference surface to clamp the beam against by increasing the width of the fence to 2" at the point where the beam passes through. With the threaded rod passing horizontally through the fence, it locks the beam solidly against this reference surface - presto no more rocking and now I get perfectly parallel layout lines!

Nothing fancy, but a fun project and a couple tools I thought others might enjoy.

All the best, Mike

daniel lane
02-15-2013, 4:09 PM
Really nice, Mike. I like how you've put the rod horizontally through the fence, I don't think I've seen that before. Nicely done!

daniel

David Weaver
02-15-2013, 4:27 PM
They look great mike, really nice.

I like the UHMW idea on the fence, what glue works with it?

Chris Griggs
02-15-2013, 4:35 PM
Great stuff Mike. I like the UHMW too. I've been wanting to put some of that on my shooting board as well. You got that at the BORG? What section?

A panel gauge is on my, as Jim K would say, "Round Tuit" list. Great inspiration. I love these shop made tool threads.

Mike Allen1010
02-15-2013, 8:36 PM
Chris, I got the UHWM at a Woodcraft store. Although they do have Lexan at my local Borg, which would probably work almost as well (I still laugh everytime I see your X-man tagline!)

David, contact cement - I'm no expert but I think if it's not wood to wood, the answer is almost always contact cement. Rough up the back of the UHMW with some sandpaper and it sticks great. Like Chris, I've have some on my shooting board for years with no problems.

Mike

Bobby O'Neal
02-15-2013, 8:50 PM
Very cool. Inspires me to build one. Someday.

Chris Griggs
02-15-2013, 9:32 PM
Chris, I got the UHWM at a Woodcraft store. Although they do have Lexan at my local Borg, which would probably work almost as well (I still laugh everytime I see your X-man tagline!)

David, contact cement - I'm no expert but I think if it's not wood to wood, the answer is almost always contact cement. Rough up the back of the UHMW with some sandpaper and it sticks great. Like Chris, I've have some on my shooting board for years with no problems.

Mike

Cool, thanks Mike. I'll check my local WC. Glad my tag makes you happy....it makes me happy too:). Always good to see what you've been working on. Keep on posting!

Mark Dorman
02-15-2013, 10:22 PM
They look great mike, really nice.

I like the UHMW idea on the fence, what glue works with it?

I like the UHMW fence as well. Here is a link to gluing this to that. http://www.thistothat.com/