PDA

View Full Version : adapting an Incra 24 inch Ultra router table Jig

Michael Weber
02-15-2013, 1:45 PM
254397Picked one up at an auction yesterday new in the box. Thought I had a gloat but now I'm not so sure. It's for making dovetail and finger joints on a router table. Don't really see much need for such precision for most of my work so I was wondering if this thing has other uses it could be adapted for. Is it suitable for just a really nice general router table fence or could it be adapted to be used on a table saw somehhow? No boat anchor jokes please;) thanks, Mike

Brent Ring
02-15-2013, 3:16 PM
I love mine on my router table. You will need to get the crosscut sled they make - I really like mine!

Michael Weber
02-15-2013, 7:04 PM
Thanks Brent. Obviously I didn't know exactly what I was buying. Don't know much about Incra stuff and when it popped up at the auction I pictured it being on a table saw somehow. Going to have to find out more about it before I decide if I want to keep it.

Brian Brightwell
02-15-2013, 9:01 PM
I have the Joint-Tech version. Actually I have two, one is on my router table. I have never used the joint making capabilities but I use the fence all the time. I just connected the fence and bottom of my router table to dust collection and boy is it nice.
The joint making system, to me, seems like it has quite a learning curve.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy11/bebrightwell/Sept2012054-Copy_zpsc5252a9a.jpg

Robert McNaull
02-15-2013, 11:38 PM
Brian, that is quite the table you have there. That thing must weigh a ton!

Michael Weber
02-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Holy Cow, that must be the worlds most substantial router table! Thanks for your input. Looks like yours has an insert. Might have to modify the Incra to accept a bigger bit. Guess I need to take it out and look at it instead of trying to rely on the picture on the box.

Jim Neeley
02-17-2013, 12:21 AM
254397Picked one up at an auction yesterday new in the box. Thought I had a gloat but now I'm not so sure. It's for making dovetail and finger joints on a router table. Don't really see much need for such precision for most of my work so I was wondering if this thing has other uses it could be adapted for. Is it suitable for just a really nice general router table fence or could it be adapted to be used on a table saw somehhow? No boat anchor jokes please;) thanks, Mike

Mike,

I've had my Incra set up for about 5 years now and really like it, even though I rarely make the fancy joints.

The Incra fence is, in essence, a highly accurate, highly _repeatable_ fence that lets you easily make things which others struggle to make.

Below is an example of a project I made for Christmas gifts one year. They are trivets, about 5"x5" square and I made about 3 dozen of them from a combination of maple and padauk. There's nothing *magic* about making them; you just need to make each "valley" by cutting increasingly deeper with 1/2", 3/8", 1/4" and 1/8" bits. They're actually pretty easy except you need to be able to make all of the 1/2" cuts, replace the bit with the 3/8" and set it deeper and then cut *precisely* in the same spot, then again with 1/2" and 1/8". The indexing on the Incra makes that a breeze.

You won't regret getting the fence. :-)

Jim in Alaska

Peter Kuhlman
02-17-2013, 8:03 AM
If you contact Taylor - Incra, they will tell you what parts and pieces you can purchase to turn it into a tablesaw fence system. They will sell you rails, fence, etc and are wonderful people to deal with. The drawback is you don't have the "normal" 32" positioner that is usually used for their tablesaw system so you will have less fence travel.

I would not adapt this to a tablesaw as it probably is not cost efficient. If you don't have a positioner on a router table yet, that is where you need to use it!! So nice to be able to go back and remake parts that are dead nuts identical later on in a project.

Carl Beckett
02-17-2013, 8:43 AM
Any router table of mine will get an incra bolted on immediately. For me it's an essential feature ofthe router table.

I do prefer the shorter versions.