PDA

View Full Version : Game Call Laser

Robert Lock
02-15-2013, 1:35 PM
I run a small hobby business producing game calls. Anything from Duck to Elk to Squirrel.

I have been getting my bands done and any personalization done by sending these out of state to another business owner and hobbiest but can see the potential in having a small laser machine of my own in house. I am not looking to spend ten grand but would have been looking at some models for around $2500 to $3500 and was wondering what would be the best route to take. I am going to need a rotary attachement for the duck calls and such and have one that can handle the small stuff but yet could pull off a wine glass had I had the need to make one for the wife.

Is this something any of you are familiar with or could possibly help.

I have read the stories of the Full Spectrum Lasers but am still leaning tward them as they are the only ones in that price range that I am wanting to keep at.

I really like Universals though but they do not have prices and have not responded to emails so ...

If anyone has any suggestions please, entertain me.

Thanks,

Mann

greg lindsey
02-15-2013, 2:15 PM
Hi Robert,
Welcome to the Creek. I would suggest looking for a used USA made unit such as Epilog or ULS, from what I understand the Import models lack in the engraving dept but are pretty good for cutting. The budget you described is possibly a little low for a decent laser exp if you need a rotory device also, they can range from 700.00 to 1000.00 alone. Try looking on Ebay (but be careful, they are some scams on lasers out there) or try looking at the manufacters websites as they often list refurbished machines for sale. I know Engravers network has a few ULS on thier site and Epilog has had some on thiers.

Bruce Dorworth
02-15-2013, 3:13 PM
Robert, you should check with Lucy at Gweike Lasers. They have smaller lasers that would fit your need. I own a Gweike and I am very happy with it. If you plan on doing more engraving than cutting you want to get a 60 watt or lower machine. I personally have an 80 watt machine and I am more than satisfied with the engraving it does.

Where are you located??

Bruce

Robert Lock
02-15-2013, 3:39 PM
Thanks guys,

I am out of Arkansas. I am in no hurry but wanted to get a better idea of what all is out there and just how much its all going to run. I am looking into a CNC lathe also in a desktop model just to help out too. I have recently taken on a couple of vendors and my work load is increasing. The current company I use to laser engrave things is getting a little slow and I need an extra hand in the shop hence the CNC... If I am going to keep growing like this and begin to do more shows the machines are going to be a must.

Thanks for the responses so far.