PDA

View Full Version : table alignment

Frank barry
02-15-2013, 12:52 AM
Good morning all
Must say I love this forum I am glad I joined as I have learnt to much thank you to all of you

Just a quick question

In the alignment the table why not just put a magnetic dial indicator on the head and clock the table in that way you could check any point on it simple and fast

Just a taught
Frank

Rodne Gold
02-15-2013, 1:31 AM
Yeh , thats the most accurate solution.
However If you dont own a dial gauge , and even if you do , It's sometimes easier to make the nozzle or head or focus probe/rod "just" skim slightly above the surface of the table and move it around to all points on the table , is soon evident where the distance tween table and head/probe whatever changes

Bruce Dorworth
02-15-2013, 2:45 AM
What I have done is use a 3"x3" block of Delrin I have. I move the laser head to the top left corner. I move the laser up and down till the nozzle is just touching the top of the Delrin. I now move the laser head to the bottom left corner and try and slip the delrin under the nozzle. I don't make any adjustments at this point. Now I do the other two corners. I am looking for the lowest corner where the Delrin will not fit under the nozzle. Adjust the table for the lowest corner Delrin is just touching the nozzle.

Then move the nozzle to each one of the corners and adjust the table there so the nozzle is just touching the Delrin. DO NOT adjust the table using the motors. There is either a screw in the corner of the table, or you have a belt under the table that you will have to remave and then manually adjust the threaded rod for that corner.

I hope that makes sense. I can take pictures if needed.

Bruce

Frank barry
02-15-2013, 4:26 AM
Some good ideas there

In fact you could strap a digital vernier callipers to the head with a few plastic ties and use it a depth gauge

Frank

Rodne Gold
02-15-2013, 5:09 AM
Yes you could , but you will have big issues if you use it while engraving , the speed of travel and thus speed of engraving of the machine relies a LOT on the lack of inertia of the flying head , acceleration and deceleration will be severely compromised by the additional mass of the head.