PDA

View Full Version : Jet JBC-18 band saw: good or bad?

David Brimm
02-15-2013, 12:16 AM
I've been waiting for a band saw bigger than my old 14" Grizzly for a while now.

Found a guy in my local area selling this Jet JBC-18 today, asking $500 but I don't know anything about this particular saw and not much seems to come up on google. Does anyone here have any info or thoughts about this saw they can share?

Thanks!
Dave

david brum
02-15-2013, 11:32 AM
I've been waiting for a band saw bigger than my old 14" Grizzly for a while now.

Found a guy in my local area selling this Jet JBC-18 today, asking $500 but I don't know anything about this particular saw and not much seems to come up on google. Does anyone here have any info or thoughts about this saw they can share?

Thanks!
Dave

That's a lot of money for an old Taiwanese saw. It probably isn't a bad saw, but will lack many of the modern conveniences, like dust collection, roller bearing guides, stout trunnions, easy spring tension adjustment, etc. Also, there probably aren't any parts available for anything that old.

At $500, you aren't that far away from a basic steel frame saw, like a Grizzly G0513.

David Brimm
02-15-2013, 3:16 PM
Thanks David, I'm trying to find something a bit better than a Grizzly (I've currently got a 14" Griz) so given what you've said and my inability to find any info or parts on this saw on google I think I'll just keep holding out for the Laguna LT14 I've been waiting for. Now, to convince the wife.. ;)

Gus Dundon
02-15-2013, 3:32 PM
That's not that bad saw but just not decent and price seems not legit. Read this blog (http://bandsawblog.com/what-to-look-for-in-a-used-band-saw/)about used band saw. Goodluck!

David Kumm
02-15-2013, 8:48 PM
If the wheels and tires are good the saw itself could be better than the current jet or other 18" steel saws. The old cast iron saws if not cracked will tension better than the lighter duty new ones. In the cast iron world an 18" is a big step up from 14" and the pricing will reflect it. Would be interesting to see it in person and run it. Dave

David Brimm
02-17-2013, 2:13 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys, the seller didn't return any of my messages so I'll be holding off and waiting some more, probably just hold out for the Laguna which is what I really want. Anyways, thanks again!

Dave