PDA

View Full Version : How difficult is it to attach router DRO to Mast-r-lift / PRL V2?

Michael Heffernan
02-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Just bought a PC 7518 for my router table. Currently I have a Triton 2-1/4 hp router with an Incra plate in my table. Works well, but got a good deal for a new PC.
So, I'm going to get either a Incra/Jessem Mast-r-lift or Incra/Woodpecker PRL-V2 lift for the PC 7518. I like the Magna lock inserts, so I'm going with the Incra branded version of one of them. Still haven't decided which one. I'll want to add a Wixey DRO to the lift and have a couple of questions for those who use them:
1. How easy/difficult is it to install the DRO on both lifts? Drilling, tapping required?
2. Is it more accurate on either lift or the same?
3. The PRL-V2 has the micro adjust thumbwheel on the plate. Do you think this makes it easier to dial in the exact height on the DRO as opposed to the hand crank shaft on the Jessem?

Any input/advice from those who have either set up would help in making my lift purchase decision.

Thanks.

Alan Lightstone
02-14-2013, 10:55 PM
I've done it with a Wixey DRO on a Woodpecker PRL-V2. It had to be drilled/tapped and was a little finicky until I got it right. There's still a little play in it (I think play in the PRL-V2) but it works real well.

Seems quite accurate.

I dislike the thumbwheel and would rather have the sidewinder or a hand crank. I think it is an inferior design, IMHO.

Michael Heffernan
02-15-2013, 8:07 AM
Thanks for the comments Alan. I was leaning toward the Mast-r-lift because of the hand crank. Similar raise/lower action to my current Triton winder crank. I don't necessarily see the benefit of the PRL-V2 rapid up/down spring assist lift wrench and micro adjust thumbwheel. I like the fact that the Jessem cranks and you use the same crank to lock the carriage in place. With the PRL, you 'adjust close' to your height, use the thumbwheel to dial in your actual height and then use and Allen wrench to lock the carriage.
I know that the Mast-r-Lift Excel II table set up has a Wixey DRO designed for it. Does anyone know if this is also compatible with the stand alone lift? I wonder if the holes are pre-drilled on the Mast-r-lift for securing the DRO. Guess I'l call Jessem and find out.

Bill Huber
02-15-2013, 8:35 AM
I have the Master R Lift and I installed the Wixey on it, in about 10 min.
It is a very easy job.