PDA

View Full Version : My first wedding glass

Paul Williams
02-14-2013, 8:48 PM
I turned this out of cherry for a cousin's daughter's wedding who we will be seeing on our road trip to Arizona next week. A first for me. It was a fun project. The color is not as red as this photo, but it was the best of the photos I took.

Edited to correct type of wood.

Baxter Smith
02-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Good job Paul! With a daughter recently engaged, I suppose I should learn how to do one too.:)

Richard Madden
02-14-2013, 10:53 PM
Nice job, I'm sure it will be appreciated. What diameter are the rings? The reason I ask is that I recently made two wedding goblets like this. The first one had 1-1/2" dia. rings and they looked too big. I was able to snap one ring to interlock with the other. The second, I made the rings 1-1/8" dia. and they looked better in proportion to the goblet, but I was not able to snap a ring in one place and twist it around the other without breaking the ring in two. Yours looks good.

Kathy Marshall
02-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Nice job Paul! I'm sure they'll love it!
If you're in the Phoenix area on your trip to Arizona, the Desert Woodturners Roundup starts on Friday the 22nd. We've got some great demonstrators lined up for Saturday and Sunday, but if you don't have time for an all day excursion the vendor's area and instant gallery are open to the pulic at no charge.

Paul Williams
02-15-2013, 8:47 AM
Richard, the rings are 1 1/4 by 5/16. Next time I will go a little thinner as they were tough to break. I turned three rings in case I needed the extra.

Kathy, thanks for the information. We will be coming up from Tucson on the 22nd, and in town for the week end. Perhaps I can steal a little time to see the gallery. We are really overbooked with agreements to meet friends and family this trip. Now that we are retired I would like to make the trip next year with several weeks or a month so we can do more. It is a long drive from Minnesota.

Brian Kent
02-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Aha! You take one ring apart and put it back together! I have not seen how y'all make those interlocking rings. I love things that are impossible.

Tim Rinehart
02-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Well done Paul. This will be surely appreciated. Be sure capture a pic of the big toast for the new couple.