PDA

View Full Version : Faceplate as hand wheel?

Dan Masshardt
02-14-2013, 2:31 PM
I'd like to have a hand wheel on the headstock of my old delta lathe.

Is there anything unsafe or unwise about using the faceplate as a hand wheel on the outboard side? It is threaded for it.

Steve Busey
02-14-2013, 3:56 PM
Aside from using a setscrew to retain it, the other thought that comes to mind is maybe screwing some wood to it so your finger doesn't accidentally get stuck in a spinning hole. And are the edges rounded or squared? Not sure what would happen if you tried to "brake" a spinning object at 2000rpm if that square edge has some burr to it...

Reed Gray
02-14-2013, 4:17 PM
If it fits, it would work I guess. Some of the outboard threads are in reverse. If you want to use just the face plate, like Steve said, make sure all edges are rounded over and sanded smooth. Might be better to make a wood plate for the face plate, and again, all edges sanded/eased, and make sure the screws do not extend through the wood.

robo hippy

Peter Fabricius
02-14-2013, 4:47 PM
Make a wooden Handwheel with a recess in it to accept the faceplate. Then bolt the handwheel to the faceplate making sure all bolts are countersunk and everything is sanded nice and smooth. Finish the Wheel with a Oil/wax mixture so it will feel nice when breaking that 2000 rpm spindle..
Drill the faceplate for a set screw if it does not have one.
Go for it and good luck.
Peter F.

Dan Masshardt
02-14-2013, 5:52 PM
Peter - love your vision.

It is round now. And smooth. I will make a wood wheel for it.

Are front faceplates supposed to have a set screw? None of mine do.

Peter Fabricius
02-14-2013, 8:18 PM
Thanks, Dan;
I just see things that need to be done and then DO THEM!!!
A set screw is always nice to have if you plan to do any sanding in REVERSE. I would drill the hub of the faceplate for a 1/4" x 20tpi set screw. Then buy a hardened set screw in that thread with a allen key head. Lock it on and you will not have to think about it any more. Enjoy the nice smooth, waxy feel of the new wood handwheel. My wheel is made from Cherry and feels great.
Peter F.

Harry Robinette
02-14-2013, 8:44 PM
My 18" General has the 3" face plate and a 7" piece of Corion screwed to it as a hand wheel been then for about 14 years. Works great.

David C. Roseman
02-14-2013, 10:42 PM
I did much the same for our ancient Grizzly G1495, using the 8" alloy outboard sanding disc that came with it. I screwed a slightly larger, rough-turned disc of 3/4" High Density Polyethylene to it, then trued the HDPE up in place with a sharp scraper. Also recessed a 1-3/8" double-shielded bearing in the HDPE, so it doubles as a vacuum adapter for our vacuum chucking system.

David

robert baccus
02-14-2013, 10:52 PM
I used one for years and loved it. I also cut a 3/8" groove for a belt driven by a WM motor to slow down the Griz for roughing out. Really got used to a good wood wheel. You might substitute Thread lock for a set screw if you find that difficult.