PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Twin Screw issues - ideas?

Scott M Perry
02-14-2013, 1:11 PM
Hi, all -

I have the Veritas twin screw vise on one of my benches, and lately it's been giving me headaches: After a bit of use, the lock screw that keeps the two screws tied together loosens, and the screws stop working in sync. Which necessitates removing the face shroud on the vise, re-zeroing the screws, cranking down on the lock screw, and reassembling everything. It's not the end of the world, but seems to be happening about two or three weeks these days.

Anyone else run into this? I'm wondering if some Loc-Tite on the screw would be in order?

Thanks,
Scott

Jim Koepke
02-14-2013, 1:39 PM
Without having any familiarity with this all my thoughts are just general ideas.

My first step would be to call LV and see what they know about this. Yours may be the first, it may be they have seen the problem and have a cure.

Have you tried changing the set screw? There are different standards of fit and finish in threads. Some screws end up with looser threads than others.

It may also be possible to change the set screw to a longer screw and use a jam nut to keep if from coming loose.

Loc-tite could be a solution. There are so many types of Loc-tite and in my experience if the wrong formulation for the metal is used it can become an undoable mess.

Another solution if there is good access to the parts involved could be drill a divot for the screw to seat into on the part it is meant to hold in place. If there is enough metal you could even tap it following the original threads. With the set screw threading into two pieces it is less likely to come out. It is also more likely to become deformed at the junction making it difficult to remove in the future.

And especially in a case like this your milage may, most assuredly, vary.

jtk

glenn bradley
02-14-2013, 1:46 PM
Lee Valley is tops in customer service. I would call them. Is there a flat where the set screw contacts? Is the screw wearing a groove or simply backing off. If it is just backing off a drop of loc-tite ought to do it but again, call LV.

Ryan Mooney
02-14-2013, 2:09 PM
I have had the same problem. I don't th

My last round with it I:

took everything apart and cleaned up the contact area where the lock screw contacts really well (acetone and then light filing to remove some spalling)
Locked the set screws down like I'd torque an engine head. One two and then back again twice! I mean I really torqued those suckers down. I also put a dab of locktite on them.

I also changed my usage patterns a bit and don't crank down on one handle as hard if the other one is taking any load, in which case I crank it most of the way down and then alternate handles once.

So far about 2 months and so good.

Does anyone else with one of these wish it was a quick release?

Fitzhugh Freeman
02-14-2013, 4:03 PM
Just chiming in to reiterate and expand on the comment about types of locktite: I'd start with one of the low strength version first. They have a lot of formulations, but I think it's the strength to consider most. If I recall correctly, that's a very small screw (my twin screw is still in box, got it for xmas, still building bench). Too strong/permanent can be a problem. Too weak? just move up a grade. Don't ask me how I know...

Scott M Perry
02-14-2013, 8:28 PM
I contacted LV, and (no surprise) their customer service is, as always, top notch. They tore a vise down to photograph and demonstrate filing a flat into the screw shaft under the follower sprocket. Offered to send me new set screws, too. I'll get this knocked this weekend, but kudos (again) to Lee Valley.

Mike Cogswell
02-14-2013, 8:38 PM
Just chiming in to reiterate and expand on the comment about types of locktite: I'd start with one of the low strength version first. They have a lot of formulations, but I think it's the strength to consider most. If I recall correctly, that's a very small screw (my twin screw is still in box, got it for xmas, still building bench). Too strong/permanent can be a problem. Too weak? just move up a grade. Don't ask me how I know...

Use Loctite Threadlocker Blue (242). Do NOT use Red (271). Red takes a fair amount of heat to loosen with hand tools.

Al Weber
02-15-2013, 8:49 AM
I had the problem with mine but after tightening it several times the problem seems to have gone away. Nevertheless, would it be possible to post the pictures LV did so others might be able to see the solution? Thanks.

Scott M Perry
02-15-2013, 10:45 AM
That's a good idea, Al. I'll post them sometime this weekend.

Scott

I had the problem with mine but after tightening it several times the problem seems to have gone away. Nevertheless, would it be possible to post the pictures LV did so others might be able to see the solution? Thanks.

Kevin Nathanson
02-15-2013, 1:31 PM
That would be terrific, as I have the exact same problem as well. It's been on the "things I really OUGHT to do" list for awhile now. The nice thing is that the problem doesn't disable the vice, but it does make it much more inconvenient to use.

K

Matthew Kenney
02-15-2013, 1:46 PM
I had this problem, too. I tried filing flats but that didn't work. So, with the jaw closed tight against my bench and the handles set where they needed to be, I took out the set screws and drilled a hole into the screw shaft, using a drill slightly smaller than the diameter of the threaded hole. The hole in the shaft doesn't need to be too deep. Then when I put the set screws back in, I tightened them into the hole on the shaft. That solved the problem for me.

Mike Allen1010
02-15-2013, 2:55 PM
I had this problem, too. I tried filing flats but that didn't work. So, with the jaw closed tight against my bench and the handles set where they needed to be, I took out the set screws and drilled a hole into the screw shaft, using a drill slightly smaller than the diameter of the threaded hole. The hole in the shaft doesn't need to be too deep. Then when I put the set screws back in, I tightened them into the hole on the shaft. That solved the problem for me.

+1 Mat's suggestion and some blue Loctite has worked great for me too.