PDA

View Full Version : Looking to replace old PC Jigsaw with a Bosch

John Hollaway
02-14-2013, 12:02 PM
I been reading about the newer Bosch jigsaws as a replacement for my old PC jigsaw. My PC is a top handle type and I would probably stay with the same style. With Bosch having several different models, it's a litle tough to determine which one. So, for Bosch jigsaw owners - Which One Should I Buy? Thanks.

Victor Robinson
02-14-2013, 12:16 PM
I had heard rumblings that the new Bosch jigsaws weren't up to the same quality standards as the venerable 1590/91 saws. I can't say myself as I've not used the new Bosch extensively (but love my 1590). That being said, if you come to such a conclusion, Acme Tools currently has recon 1590s for $114.

EDIT: I believe they also have a 10% coupon going now...

Steve Rozmiarek
02-14-2013, 3:19 PM
I had no idea the 1590 had been "upgraded", NOOOOOOO!!! Mine is one of my favorite tools.

Victors link to the 1590's, and I see a few more ala google, make it apparent that you can still get one, and I highly recommend doing so. Otherwise, Festool???

Dick Mahany
02-14-2013, 6:14 PM
I've used the Bosch 1590 and can't imagine ever wanting another jig saw. I upgraded from a 25 yr old Craftsman and couldn't believe how smooth and versatile a jig saw could be. I have heard that the new replacements aren't as good as the 1590/1591, but can't verify that as I haven't used one to make a valid comparison.

John Bailey
02-14-2013, 7:18 PM
I've been working some leopardwood lately. Leopardwood is notorious for splinters. I was worried about using a jigsaw that I might produce rough edges with splinters. Not to worry. My 1591 cut straight and true, and with the type blades that are designed for smooth cut both up and down -- no splinters. My hands thanked me.

The Bosch 1591 may be the best tool I have when doing what it's designed to do.

John

Joe Shinall
02-14-2013, 8:26 PM
I purchased the Bosch JS470EB 7 amp with the barrel grip about 6 months ago. I had an old craftsman of my dads it replaced. The old craftsman was a one speed with no adjusting. After switching to this I can't see how I ever used the other one. It took some getting use to how to tune in the speed per what I was doing but with the right blade and usually on a lower speed, this thing cuts smooth, true, and like butter. I also really like the extra long cord too( I think about 10 feet). I can usually cut in the middle of the shop without an extension cord.

The barrel grip is also really easy on my wrists and feels like I am holding the whole tool more stable.

Kim Gibbens
02-14-2013, 8:54 PM
I had heard rumblings that the new Bosch jigsaws weren't up to the same quality standards as the venerable 1590/91 saws. I can't say myself as I've not used the new Bosch extensively (but love my 1590). That being said, if you come to such a conclusion, Acme Tools currently has recon 1590s for $114.

EDIT: I believe they also have a 10% coupon going now...

Have a link for that?

Thanks

Jim Andrew
02-14-2013, 8:58 PM
I have a Dewalt jigsaw, don't know the model, but not the most expensive one, but it takes the bayonet style blades, like the PC, and it is a great jigsaw. Much better than the older Dewalt that used the old style blades.

John LoDico
02-14-2013, 9:29 PM
I just bought a new jigsaw and after a lot of research I settled on the Makita 4350FCT ($169). I was leaning towards the Bosches because of their reputation, but went with the Makita instead. Was it worth it? Don't know; hasn't arrived yet! But you may want to check it out some of the reviews --Taunton's 2012 tool guide and Woodworker's journal top-line jigsaw review (2011?). Wish me luck and good luck to you.

glenn bradley
02-14-2013, 9:43 PM
Another Bosch 159X user here. A 1591 in this case as I prefer the barrel grip. If you like trigger-speed control go for the 1590 top handle. The blade change mechanism, the guide-jaws and the oh-so-smooth motor make these saws a joy to use.

Victor Robinson
02-15-2013, 1:13 AM
Have a link for that?

Thanks

I don't actually - I have a catalog. Searching on their website it doesn't seem to come up, but it is listed on page 46 of their most recent catalog (Model 1590EVSK-RT) for 114.99. It is possible they sold out, but it is worth calling them if you are interested as sometimes their website isn't up-to-date with the inventory they are able to ship out.

Ray Newman
02-15-2013, 1:41 AM
Said it before and I’ll say it again:

A tool fits your hand or it doesn’t. A simple and important feature.

If you can, take a woodworking “culture trip” to the various tool suppliers and handle the Bosch and other jig saws on display. That was you can pick what feels right and fits your hand.

Over the years I have know a few woodworkers who bought “recommended” tools that were not utilized very much or eventually replaced because they just did not feel right….

Kim Gibbens
02-15-2013, 2:03 PM
I don't actually - I have a catalog. Searching on their website it doesn't seem to come up, but it is listed on page 46 of their most recent catalog (Model 1590EVSK-RT) for 114.99. It is possible they sold out, but it is worth calling them if you are interested as sometimes their website isn't up-to-date with the inventory they are able to ship out.

Gave them a call and they have them in stock. One is coming my way. Thanks for the foot work. It will replace a 30 year old Craftsman.