PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your wood?

Glen Blanchard
02-14-2013, 9:23 AM
I'd like to find a source for stock that is the appropriate dimensions for a hollow vessel, and it has not been easy sledding thus far. I'd like blanks in the neighborhood of 6" - 8" cubed, but about all I can find online are bowl blanks limited to about 3" thick. Great for bowls. Not so much for vessels.

For those who purchase their wood, where are you getting decent sized blanks that would work for hollow vessels?

Dick Mahany
02-14-2013, 9:34 AM
I get a fair amount of mine from Global Wood Source since they are local to me. He has a lot of Amboyna Burl, Buck Eye Burl, Maple Burl, as well as many others. To my knowledge they have never had Box Elder, Cherry, Holly or Mesquite turning blocks when I have inquired. He has a pretty good selection online. They also have some incredible figured slabs for luthiers that are amazing. Good people to deal with but the Amboyna at $20 / lb can break the bank.

I've also had very good luck with NC Woods on ebay. Quick service, nice quality, and good prices.

John Keeton
02-14-2013, 9:52 AM
Glen, most wood you buy is green and shipping is a killer. I have bought a BUNCH from Mike Smith of Century Tree Turnings (http://www.centurytreeturnings.com/). Mike is a nice fellow and carries nearly all domestics, including some nice BLM burls. He will ship, and his prices are very reasonable.

You might also try Les Carrington at Northwood Figured Wood (http://www.nwfiguredwoods.com/). Les travels the show circuit, as well. Some very nice burls!

Your best bet is to buy at shows you attend to avoid shipping, but those opportunities are limited.

Chip Sutherland
02-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Locally, I have bought project wood from Texas Wood World down behind TI in Richardson. They (Craig) graciously support the Golden Triangle Woodturners in Denton so I support them. I have also bought locally from Woodcraft and Rockler but they typically don't stock pieces for larger HF forms.

For a recent collection bowl set, I reached out to Choice Woods (www.Choice-Woods.com (http://www.Choice-Woods.com)) for maple blanks and it was an excellent experience. They are currently carrying several 7-8" wide maple vessel blanks now. I have also bought on Ebay although it was been several years so I don't remember who I bought from.

My favorite sources are FOG (found on grown), harvested wood and the SWAT vendors always seem swap my money for their wood every year. The majority of my wood is free local Texas wood. FREE is best.

This pic shows the 13-14" square blanks from Choice Woods right out of the box. The 4 14" round blanks to the right came from Rockler when they had a rare crate shipment of curly maple. I needed 6 but couldn't locate them in time so Choice Woods delivered.

Chip Sutherland
02-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Great comment John....shipping green wood is expensive. Ask if it is green or dry. I had a $120 order with an extra $58 in shipping. The wood had a surface moisture content 20-22% using my 2-pin moisture meter. These were 3+ inch pieces so who knows what the internal moisture content was.

Prashun Patel
02-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Glen, I'm curious if you harvest any of your own. If not, a minor investment in a good chainsaw and a few phone calls to the local tree services can keep you stocked in local wood for a lifetime.

Glen Blanchard
02-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Glen, I'm curious if you harvest any of your own. If not, a minor investment in a good chainsaw and a few phone calls to the local tree services can keep you stocked in local wood for a lifetime.

I have done VERY limited harvesting, and the limited amount I have done I have not yet cut into blanks. I have been meaning to call a local tree service, but I'm not sure how receptive they might be. Thus 90+% of my wood is purchased.

Montgomery Scott
02-14-2013, 10:49 AM
local saw mills.

Bernie Weishapl
02-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Like John K. if I buy wood it is from Mike Smith at Century Tree Turnings. I wanted to make some canisters for flour, sugar, etc. I called Mike and he cut me a set of 4 pecan 6 x 6 x 8 and 4 hickory 8 x 8 x 10. Got to meet Mike on my way to my sisters house. He is a great guy and had a ball going thru his buildings.

Prashun Patel
02-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Glen-
There are a couple places you can call: a tree service, local landscapers, nurseries, local park rangers, golf courses.

I've never met someone who was averse to me 'stealing' a 14" stump or two for turning.

I've also gotten logs from peoples' yards (with permission). They're usually happy to let me have the wood for free, but I end up making the first bowl for them.

While this will confine you to local species, there's a lot variation tree-to-tree even in the same variety. Of course, working green is a whole 'nuther art - arguably harder to learn than turning it!

Once you have a few, it also becomes possible to trade with people in other parts of the country. I've done that quite a bit - and will offer that if you build up an inventory of Osage Orange or Mesquite, I'd be happy to trade you for some cherry , oak, maple, or walnut, birch, red elm, or poplar!!!

Paul Gilbert
02-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Glen - You might try this link: http:// dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/zip/3564352206.html. South Fort Worth is not that far from Prosper. If you have a chain saw and a pickup you can get a lot of free turning blanks. They normally have Bois d'Arc and mulberry and a lot of really big logs.

robert baccus
02-14-2013, 11:35 PM
Very good question. A chainsaw is hard to beat. Most of the big name wood stores sell sell small dimension wood. My best sources are backyard operations found on the web.----Roosterexoticwoods.com---Mike1950---jimmywoodworker@gmail.com-- ncwood ? And the wood stores listed in woodturning wood on e-bay. Please add Mike1950 and jimmythe woodworker and ncwood.

Chip Sutherland
02-15-2013, 12:35 AM
I can second Mike Smith at Century Tree Turnings. He has been a vendor at SWAT in Waco I have frequented. Monk Lumber was another one. I have never ordered from them only bought in person.

David Starks
02-15-2013, 11:14 PM
I I have been meaning to call a local tree service, but I'm not sure how receptive they might be.

As the owner of a tree service, i say 'come on' or 'where do you want me to dump my truck'. Unless your wanting my high-dollar oak or pecan, Ill just about give anything away (unless I want it to turn myself, then you might get a piece). Ive had turners call before about getting stuff and they come, get, leave. Some have offered to pay, others have traded finished goods. Since I too sell firewood, I have a pile of chunks to dig through as well as big narly peices that are a pain to split so get tossed to the side.

I wouldnt be afraid to call a tree service, the worst they can tell you is 'no'.