PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen cabinet hardware

Chris E Smith
02-14-2013, 9:01 AM
Does anyone have experience with Salice hinges and Vitus drawer slides for frameless cabinets ? I'm designing my first set of kitchen cabinets and these are the brands that my local hardwood lumber and plywood supplier carries. I am more familiar with brands like Blum and Accuride but my supplier says the Salice and Vitus hardware is "comparable". I don't know how to evaluate their claim other than buying some of each and building them into something to try them out. I'm hoping someone more experienced can comment and save me that long process. These cabinets are for my home and I want high quality hardware since I will be living with it possibly for the rest of my life. Does anyone have a better source to purchase good quality hardware online ?
BTW, this is my first post here. My latest woodworking project was actually a welding project. I built a plywood storage cart that stores sheets of plywood vertically. It's built from 2" square tubing I salvaged form an old Universal Gym and I counterweighted the bottom with some of the weight stack plates to eliminate it's tendency to tip over. It's still easy to roll around on it's 600 lb. cap. glass filled nylon casters and the 4 ft wide sides finally gave me a place to hang my shop chalk board. Pictures to come.
Thank You
Chris

Ole Anderson
02-14-2013, 9:42 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Chris! Please list your location by going to your settings, then about me, then location. That way we can tell if you are our neighbor or posting from New Zeland (in which case you probably have a fellow Creeker there!).

I presume you have been following the recent thread regarding drawer slides? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?198599-What-s-Your-Favorite-Drawer-Glides The consensus is to go with Blum. For drawer mounts use the Blum Tandem with Blumotion, same for hinges, be sure to get the ones with the soft close Blumotion, particularly of you are going frameless. Slides are about $20 per pair, hinges $4 each from several internet suppliers, but expect to pay way more from places like Rockler.

I bought mine locally from a plywood/cabinet supplier, but I got the template and drill bits from these folks who also have great prices on the slides: http://cabinetreecollection.com/store/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_48

Jeff Duncan
02-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Go with what you know....Blum! There are plenty of vendors that carry them you just have to look a little bit.

good luck,
JeffD

Jamie Buxton
02-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Salice is a reputable supplier. I've never heard of Vitus.

If you're willing to buy online, www.wwhardware.com is my usual source for this stuff.

Chris E Smith
02-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the information guys.
Chris

Von Bickley
02-15-2013, 1:00 PM
These are the hinges that I used recently..... Woodworkers Supply has a large selection to pick from.

http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?PARTNUM=134-531&LARGEVIEW=ON

Peter Kelly
02-15-2013, 1:28 PM
Salice hinges are excellent. I've not heard of Vitus either but Hettich and Ferrari are also very good and certainly less expensive than Blum.

CS Hardware has the best prices I've found on the web http://www.cshardware.com/kitchen-and-bath.html

Scott Vaughan
02-15-2013, 2:58 PM
Amazon has a lot of Blum hinges - find what you want on the other sites then check Amazon pricing but remember to figure in the cost of shipping - sometimes that can be a deal breaker

Peter Quinn
02-15-2013, 3:23 PM
Ive used Salice hinges at work because that's what the main vendor sells, so that's what the boss gets. they are ok, I find they have a smaller range of motion versus a comparable Blum hinge. If you have a door or box that is less than perfect I can almost always adjust it out for good reveals with Blum, Salice not so much. So in the home shop for side jobs I always use Blum for the few extra bucks it costs it saves me lots of headaches. Funny thing is we spec Blum under mounts for 98% of the drawers. If I had my way the hinges would be Blum too.

John TenEyck
02-15-2013, 4:15 PM
Salice seems pretty comparable to Blum for me. Interesting comment about the adjustment range being greater for Blum; I had not noticed but never compared them directly either. Salice makes a really slick 170 deg (?) folding door hinge that I used on a kitchen job. Blum Blu Motion slides are very nice, but so are KV MuV undermounts, and they are quite a bit cheaper. Like another posted, I buy most of my hardware from wwhardware.com.

John

Buck Williams
02-15-2013, 6:16 PM
Another vote for wwhardware.com, on top of good pricing, I've found them to be a rarity, in that you can call their 800 number and talk to someone who actually knows their products and applications.

Zach Callum
02-15-2013, 6:44 PM
Salice makes a good hinge. Blum has features that salice doesn't. The new Blum 563 series slides can't be beat.

fRED mCnEILL
02-16-2013, 12:34 AM
When I renoed my kitchen 8 years ago I used Salice. No problems in 8 years. For the odd ball hinges that Salice didn"t maske I use Blum. They get real pricey.

Bill Neely
02-16-2013, 12:40 AM
Check prices at A&H hardware for Blum. I use WWHardware too but A&H is usually cheaper.

Craig Shilling
02-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Another choice is ahturf.com. For slides I like Blum 562H5330B 21" Tandem Plus Blumotion soft-close at $18.65 pr.. I have also used wwhardware.com, the same slide is $23.90 for 1pr. or you can get them at Rockler for $39.99 pr.. They all have a complete line of cabinet hardware and good tech. support. I like to shop around for good buys.