PDA

View Full Version : David vs. Can of Poly.

David Eisan
05-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Evening All,

Has anyone ever had this problem?,

http://members.rogers.com/moreweb/images/polycan.jpg

I pried and I pried and it don't open no how!

So, I got a little medieval on it...

David.

Jason Roehl
05-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Actually, yes, David, I have had that problem numerous times, since I am a painter by trade. Despite the widespread belief to the contrary, the tool you have pictured for opening that can is NOT THE CORRECT ONE. I have on my keyring a combination paint can opener/closer (I never use the closer part on paint cans, but it works well for opening beer bottles :D :cool: ). I believe I got it at a Sherwin-Williams.

Anyway, the opening part is essentially a flat piece of metal (looks to be not quite 1/16" thick, 3" long) with the end curved up about an 1/8" at about a 1/16" radius. This does much better than a screwdriver because it hooks the lip of the lid without unrolling it like a screwdriver does. Technique is important too--work it up just a little all around the can and the lid will pop open--don't "swing for the fences" on each pry.

Although your method looked like it might be a little bit of stress relief...:D

Charles McKinley
05-07-2003, 11:58 PM
Wait till you try to get the ring off that Mason jar!;)

Brute force and ignorance may not be the prettiest nor most efficient, but usually effective!

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-08-2003, 12:17 PM
Ok David - loses a turn and goes back to wood shop 1
First day of class
Present empty paint can to class.
Have each student
1. punch one hole in the valley of the top of the can with a 6 penny nail (2" or so).
2. Replace lid of can with "closer stick". NEVER A HAMMER OR MALLET! You'll get paint or varnish on you from the splatter.
Place lid on can;
Push down on 1" square (or there abouts) stick of wood (longer than can lid and comfortable to place both hands on ends of stick).
Seating lid into valley of can.
Rotate can after every push.

Enough!
But remember the holes are the important part of keeping the valley of the can from getting "gunked" up.
DO NOT BANG ON LID OF CAN WITH STICK. - PUSH -

Thats the lesson plan for the first day of school in shop.
After having all the students punch holes in the valley and replace the lid about 22 times, fill the can with some water. Replace the lid with the push stick and turn can upside down to demonstrate that can does not leak.
:D

ps Home Depot and Lowe's sell empty paint cans to help with your problem, because I also believe that you won't get the ring off the jar.

Dave Arbuckle
05-08-2003, 12:26 PM
Daniel, you ever have any success with that method using waterborne finish like David there was? I haven't, the dang cans rust.

David, what I've done is taken to buying waterborne finish in plastic containers.

Dave

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-08-2003, 12:38 PM
Yes,
The cans from HD or Lowe's have some sort of coating on the inside of the can. I haven't had a problem with rust.
I do have a problem with the holes in the valley filling up with poly because I can't get them big enough. The poly doesn't want to drain. Even wiggling the nail doesn't help. Cans last about 50 (guess) closings due to "gunk" in the valley building up - like David's.
Maybe a cut nail that's thinned a bit on the flats would work.
Been out of the teaching business for about 8 years, now.

Lee Schierer
05-08-2003, 12:41 PM
Before you try the brute force method when the rolled over edge on the lid unrolls. Yes this happens even with a paint can opener tool. First, before you start, take your mallet and seat the lid before you try opeing it.

If you don't break the seal by seating the lid, then you can grip the lip of the lid with a pair of pliers and pry down with the handles to break the seal.

Can we come and take video when you try to open the mason jar without breaking it???

You know you can buy empty quart cans from most paint stores for a few cents.

Mike Evertsen
05-08-2003, 2:32 PM
Dave ,,,,,Gallager has a can opener that works great on cans that are hard to open,,,he lays the can on it's side then hits it hard with a mallet,,,,LOL

Gary Bindel
05-09-2003, 1:55 PM
What I have found helps alot, is to before putting the lid on a can I have been using, is to clean both the top of the can and the lid of any paint/finish. Since I began to do that, I have not had any problem removing lids. The amount of time it takes to clean the mating surfaces is saved in time and frustration the next time I need it. It also has greatly reduced the rusting with water based materials.