PDA

View Full Version : triton router

Ken Harris
02-14-2013, 7:27 AM
I will be purchasing triton tra001 router had some concerns,I talked with Stacy Peterson at Avail Distribution he answered my concerns.He also informed me if anyone is having an issue with the plastic worm drive gear a new metal one will be provided at no charge.Stacy's number is 1-855-227-3478.

Ryan Lee
02-14-2013, 9:53 AM
I used a triton plunge router a friend of mine purchased. It had a nice soft start and worked well, but I was very frustrated with the mechanism for the on/off. There is a sliding cover for the on/off switch that would get stuck and randomly turn on the router while sitting on the bench. I believe that it was a much more unsafe than just a regular on/off switch.

Larry Browning
02-14-2013, 10:22 AM
I used a triton plunge router a friend of mine purchased. It had a nice soft start and worked well, but I was very frustrated with the mechanism for the on/off. There is a sliding cover for the on/off switch that would get stuck and randomly turn on the router while sitting on the bench. I believe that it was a much more unsafe than just a regular on/off switch.
It seems odd to me that anyone would complain about the on/off safety feature. It is one of the reasons I chose the Triton over others. I guess the old saying is true. "What's one man's trash is the other man's treasure."
BTW: The random turning on thing you describe has never happened to me. Was that a one time thing or does it happen on a regular basis? I am not sure how what you describe could even happen. That cover is spring loaded and closes when the switch is turned off. You have to slide it open to turn it back on. It stays open until the switch is toggled off again. I would think you may have a faulty switch.
I have mine mounted in a table. Another feature of the switch is that it won't let the spindle raise to the locked position unless the switch is off. This can be a bit annoying sometimes, but I still view it as a good feature.

Jim Rimmer
02-14-2013, 1:10 PM
It seems odd to me that anyone would complain about the on/off safety feature. It is one of the reasons I chose the Triton over others. I guess the old saying is true. "What's one man's trash is the other man's treasure."
BTW: The random turning on thing you describe has never happened to me. Was that a one time thing or does it happen on a regular basis? I am not sure how what you describe could even happen. That cover is spring loaded and closes when the switch is turned off. You have to slide it open to turn it back on. It stays open until the switch is toggled off again. I would think you may have a faulty switch.
I have mine mounted in a table. Another feature of the switch is that it won't let the spindle raise to the locked position unless the switch is off. This can be a bit annoying sometimes, but I still view it as a good feature.

I agree with Larry on the switch. I woild think the switch may be bad. I have had no problems with mine and have it mounted in my router table. Poor man's answer to a router lift.

Larry Browning
02-14-2013, 1:20 PM
I will be purchasing triton tra001 router had some concerns,I talked with Stacy Peterson at Avail Distribution he answered my concerns.He also informed me if anyone is having an issue with the plastic worm drive gear a new metal one will be provided at no charge.Stacy's number is 1-855-227-3478.

I will have to check mine when I get back to the shop to see if mine has that plastic worm drive gear.
Thanks for the heads up!

Richard McComas
02-14-2013, 3:57 PM
Rumors on the internet is that Triton routers is have difficulty and may have been sold to another company. Just something you may want to research. The following came from the Triton Routers forums.

"I went to my favorite toy store yesterday (Highland Hardware). They sell Triton Routers. One of the staff told me that Triton has gone out of business but has been bought out by another company. Is this a fact or a sales staff member hallucinating" ?

"I believe that the owners of Triton, Global Machinery Corp.in Melbourne, went into receivership last December but I've heard nothing since about it".

"Interestingly enough, sometime close the turn of the year, a new stockist of Triton was announced in Britain, which may
indicate that they still are in business, but I'm not sure of course".

Link:http://www.routerforums.com/general-routing/13708-triton-routers.html

Ken Massingale
02-15-2013, 7:14 AM
Rumors on the internet is that Triton routers is have difficulty and may have been sold to another company. Just something you may want to research. The following came from the Triton Routers forums.

"I went to my favorite toy store yesterday (Highland Hardware). They sell Triton Routers. One of the staff told me that Triton has gone out of business but has been bought out by another company. Is this a fact or a sales staff member hallucinating" ?

"I believe that the owners of Triton, Global Machinery Corp.in Melbourne, went into receivership last December but I've heard nothing since about it".

"Interestingly enough, sometime close the turn of the year, a new stockist of Triton was announced in Britain, which may
indicate that they still are in business, but I'm not sure of course".

Link:http://www.routerforums.com/general-routing/13708-triton-routers.html

That thread is from 2009.

Ryan Lee
02-15-2013, 7:49 AM

The actual slide that covers the on/off switch would get a little wonky and not slide in straight. When this happened it would actuate the on/off switch with the cover itself. Maybe it was just some operator error, but it happened a number of times while making 10 or so bee hives.

Larry Browning
02-15-2013, 9:09 AM
So it wouldn't actually just randomly turn on while sitting the bench with no one touching it? It would turn on as you were sliding open the cover to turn it on? This makes me think it probably is a faulty switch. I suppose I may have never run into this because I keep mine mounted in the table 99% of the time and only use the switch on the router when the table switch is in the off position when changing bits. I have never had this happen during the rare occasions when I do use it hand held.

Ryan Lee
02-15-2013, 9:35 AM
So it wouldn't actually just randomly turn on while sitting the bench with no one touching it? It would turn on as you were sliding open the cover to turn it on? This makes me think it probably is a faulty switch. I suppose I may have never run into this because I keep mine mounted in the table 99% of the time and only use the switch on the router when the table switch is in the off position when changing bits. I have never had this happen during the rare occasions when I do use it hand held.

Just when I was setting it down on the bench after using it. I guess it was not randomly, but after use.

Larry Browning
02-15-2013, 11:48 AM
This just about has to be a faulty switch. I wouldn't blame the design, any switch can be faulty, regardless of the design.

joseph f merz
02-16-2013, 12:16 AM
own one .in a table .price wasn't alot .have been using it for a number of years now . originally had trouble with the raising mechanism ,plastic gears stripped out twice but then put a router raizer in it and fixed that .i have 3 routers in tables right now .surprisingly the above table adjustment is no longer so important .i tend to have to reset the fense with every bit change anyhow so popping the router out is not such a big deal .basically it is a plastic router ,flexes a bit sooner then heavier routers so you have to keep your bit size and cut down . I would say it is fine but if it was my only one I would wish for more . this router gets alot of raves from some ,I think it is ok .