PDA

View Full Version : Wedding pen set – wood recommendations

Dave Bonde
02-13-2013, 10:50 PM
I am making a pen set for a wedding gift. I think I like the black pen for the groom and white pen for the bride concept. I am planning to use African Blackwood for the groom, but I am not sure on the white pen for the bride. What wood will give me as close to pure white as I can get without stain or dye? Dave

John Coloccia
02-13-2013, 10:53 PM
I am making a pen set for a wedding gift. I think I like the black pen for the groom and white pen for the bride concept. I am planning to use African Blackwood for the groom, but I am not sure on the white pen for the bride. What wood will give me as close to pure white as I can get without stain or dye? Dave

You might try Holly for the white pen. I can't imagine any whiter and more featureless without going to synthetic material.

Brian Kent
02-13-2013, 11:27 PM
I agree with John, or maybe a piece of curly maple. Sometimes yellowish but sometimes almost white.

Eric Gourieux
02-14-2013, 12:24 AM
Wooly mammoth ivory. Seriously. Makes beautiful, if not expensive, pens.

Eric Gourieux
02-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Thanks, Dave. You just gave me an idea for my daughter's upcoming wedding. I'm gonna steal it. Sorry

Brian Kent
02-14-2013, 2:22 AM
Wooly mammoth ivory. Seriously. Makes beautiful, if not expensive, pens.

I had to look that one up to see if you could be serious. You are! :eek:

philip labre
02-14-2013, 8:50 AM
Kallenshaan woods has a laser blank that is a tuxedo. Maybe they have a blank that has something relating to the brides interests too.

Paul Ray Moore
02-14-2013, 9:30 AM
This is a pen and pencil set that my son, 14yrs old, made for his cousin's wedding. it is holly with an ebony celtic knot. The larger pen is a cigar pen and th eslim is a slim line pen.

Tim Rinehart
02-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Dave, Holly will likely be closest to pure white, but if not kiln dried, it is somewhat subject to a bluish staining before you get your finish on it. Another nice pen blank to consider is one out of acrylic. Most of the pen kit suppliers will carry something in acrylic white, or alternative ivory, some with a pearly look...my favorite in the white acrylics. Here's one from woodturningz. http://www.woodturningz.com/Products/PBIA26.jpg

(http://www.woodturningz.com/Products/PBIA26.jpg)

Dave Bonde
02-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Thanks guys great information, no problem Eric glad to help :) I think I will give the holly a try the acrylics look really good but I think I have my heart set on wood. Wooly mammoth ivory would be cool but out of my price range :-0 Dave