PDA

View Full Version : Laser for Leather? Import Direct contact

Nicholas Ferrara
02-13-2013, 8:30 PM
I am looking for a laser to use to mark leather. I currently have a leather business and want a way to quickly "customize" for those who want names, pictures, whatever on their products, and I would like to offer logo's on certain items that are carried in local stores. I feel this will be cheaper in the long run than ordering a embossing plates for high volume items.

I will need to get the laser through a standard 36" door, but do not want to be limited by an ultra small bed. I don't need a huge 48" bed, but something in the 30" range would be nice.

I am not sure how well lasers cut patterns out of leather, but it would be nice to have some of my popular patterns cut out with the push of a button, and would be more consistent than cutting the leather by hand and would reduce sanding time to get edges even drastically.

I see the most recommended Chinese laser is the Shenhui, but I am not exactly sure how to contact them. I already have a customs agent since I import products from Australia, however the Australian manufacture handles shipping to California, then the customs agent handles it from there, I will have to see if they can handle shipping on both ends.

Also, recommendations for laser tube type, specific lasers, etc. will be greatly appreciated. I am really open to any advice, but I don't plan on spending 20K on a laser, 4k-6K if it is possible to get a good laser. If things go well, I would consider a second laser when we move to a larger location.

Thanks

Mark Smith61
02-13-2013, 9:31 PM
I just recently bought a Hurricane Ivan 60 watt laser. The laser bed is 20" by 16". Below is a sample engraving I did on a leather coaster that I got from Laserbits.com. I didn't put any protective tape on the leather, so you can see a little charring outside the lines.

Khalid Nazim
02-13-2013, 10:07 PM
I bought a 80W Shenhui laser late 2011 and most of my work with the laser since then was to cut and engrave leather. So you are on the right track as I feel its a great tool to have in a leather business. I dealt with Pascal in Shenhui and you can contact him on shenhuilasercncAT163DOTcom.

Regards
KN

Nicholas Ferrara
02-14-2013, 2:35 AM
I shot an email off to Pascal, I was hoping I could catch him late with the time difference, but it looks like he is out of commission through the 18th. Anyone know where I can compare pricing on the lasers?

Rodne Gold
02-14-2013, 2:55 AM
600 x 900 laser , 80w Reci tube with all the bells and whistles and a raft of spares should cost less then $5500 from Shenui , add about $1200 at the worst for shipping door to door. (you can probably save around $800 if you want a 60w cheaper tube ...)
Contact Blanca yan if pascal isn't around , skype her blaca610616.
Chinese all on new year right now...
You can get the laser thru just about any door , you can easily disassemble the stand from the main body and turn it sideways to get thru the door.
Read this thread in it's entirety and follow all links.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?181819-Chinese-Shenui-Laserworks-tips-and-tricks-thread

Nicholas Ferrara
02-14-2013, 12:18 PM
600 x 900 laser , 80w Reci tube with all the bells and whistles and a raft of spares should cost less then $5500 from Shenui , add about $1200 at the worst for shipping door to door. (you can probably save around $800 if you want a 60w cheaper tube ...)
Contact Blanca yan if pascal isn't around , skype her blaca610616.
Chinese all on new year right now...
You can get the laser thru just about any door , you can easily disassemble the stand from the main body and turn it sideways to get thru the door.
Read this thread in it's entirety and follow all links.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?181819-Chinese-Shenui-Laserworks-tips-and-tricks-thread

I read all the threads. It seems like the RECI tube is well worth the upgrade, but I am not sure if I need to upgrade anything else. So the laser would have an engraving area of 35X23"? If the ends open to allow for belts that would be more than enough.

Rodne Gold
02-14-2013, 2:05 PM
Only the front and back are open , so if you wanted to do something longer than 900mm , you would have to feed it front to back , however the engraving area front to back would be 600mm (23") , the sides aren't open. So if you had a belt 50" long and you wanted to engrave lets say 40" , you would have to engrave the first 23" , feed it , try to register and then engrave the next 17". If it's a continuous design its not easy to register it so the engraving looks seamless.
You do get open flatbed unenclosed lasers that are much bigger but a LOT more expensive. Leather stinks when engraved so an open machine is not advisable
You can also get something like a 1500 x 1200 enclosed laser for round $9-10k , or a 1200 x 900 for $6-7k

Nicholas Ferrara
02-15-2013, 4:00 PM
Well, I sent emails to Shenhui and GWeike for quotes on their 600X400 and 900X600 machines with 80 watt RECI tubes. Is there anything else I should upgrade besides the laser? I do like the fact that there are multiple American dealers of the GWeike machines. Seems like the most common problem with GWeiki is shipping replacement tubes from China, and if you can get one in the US, it might just be worth the up charge to reduce downtime.

I have been just looking at CNC routers also, something to handle a 4X8 sheet of plywood or acrylic, and I am surprised at the high cost for basic machines... Maybe later.

Sean Bullock
02-15-2013, 5:28 PM

I have burned my share of leather over the years. For these pictures we used a Trotec Speedy 300 60W. It can fit through most doors. I have had several issues where the door width was just <1/2" too narrow and had to remove part of the door, but that wasn't a real problem. One thing to keep in mind is that not all leather burns the same.

Nicholas Ferrara
02-15-2013, 7:01 PM

I have burned my share of leather over the years. For these pictures we used a Trotec Speedy 300 60W. It can fit through most doors. I have had several issues where the door width was just <1/2" too narrow and had to remove part of the door, but that wasn't a real problem. One thing to keep in mind is that not all leather burns the same.

I use mostly Hermann Oak tooling leather, but keep Hermann Oak bridle on hand, along with some exotics and lining leathers (Deer Skin, Pig Skin). Is that Blue on Suede? I have never used suede, but I have a recurring order that I plan to use the laser on that will use suede and it will be awesome if suede marks that well.

Mike Null
02-15-2013, 7:07 PM
Ooooh! That's the good stuff--from right here in river city.

Nicholas Ferrara
02-15-2013, 8:11 PM
Ooooh! That's the good stuff--from right here in river city.

Hermann Oak is the best, even the ungraded leather is awesome, it just may have damage on part of the hide. I use Grad A/B for Belts and will order the damaged leather for Holsters and other smaller items where I can cut around the bad spots, I forget what they call it but it is listed as U in the catalog. I don't see why people buy Mexican Leather when the Hermann Oak is only $2 more per square foot. I understand ordering a Chinese laser when a US machine cost 5X or more than the Chinese machine.