PDA

View Full Version : I need a laser sticker suggestion

Doug Griffith
02-13-2013, 6:20 PM
Hey All, I just finished designing an LED light and need to complete 8 units in under 3 weeks for a convention. I think I can do it. My question is regarding the 2 half-circle shaped stickers that are for branding as well as hiding a few assembly screws. They need to have a silver anodized look to them with black design elements. For the production units, I'll get custom die-cut stickers made. For the 8 units, I'm in a little more of a rush. Does anybody have any suggestions/recommendations for a laserable material I can use? I can CNC the perimeter if I have to.

The red line indicates the perimeter. The width is approximately 8 inches.

Thanks a bunch.

Doug Griffith
02-13-2013, 6:27 PM
I forgot to mention, it needs to be fairly thick.

Doug Griffith
02-13-2013, 6:36 PM
Something that looks like MetalPhoto?

Mark Sipes
02-13-2013, 7:19 PM
Rowmark Plastic Flexi Brass Silver .020 , MetalGraph Plus+ 1/32, 1/16, 1/8" Johnson Plastics

Pete James
02-13-2013, 7:23 PM
The Flexibrass with a brushed silver finish should work well. It would be a simple job to design and cut them. JDS Industries should have a location close enough to you for 1 day ground shipping.

Doug Griffith
02-13-2013, 8:03 PM
Thanks a bunch. I just ordered some. So far, so good.

Mohammed Issa
02-13-2013, 8:21 PM
hey Doug,

may i ask what you used to make the prototypes? are you going to use a 3D printer?
it looks like there is a lot of small parts in it, so i was wondering what/how you will build it from.

thanks,

moh

Doug Griffith
02-13-2013, 9:55 PM
hey Doug,

may i ask what you used to make the prototypes? are you going to use a 3D printer?
it looks like there is a lot of small parts in it, so i was wondering what/how you will build it from.

thanks,

moh

This light is too big to 3D print (40 inches across). So, in a nutshell, I'm biting the bullet and committing off of the 3D drawings. Partially committing at least. The vacuum formed parts will be high temp resin tools before aluminum tools. The flat aluminum parts will be waterjet prior to committing to a large punch (if ever). There's a 3D internal aluminum part that looks like a pie tin and will be spun before going to a metal stamping. The stainless bars at the end will be bent as for production. The ball is off-the-shelf. The lights themselves are custom built for us in China.

I usually build larger components and commit off of the drawings. Sometimes it takes big cohones.

Walt Langhans
02-14-2013, 12:50 AM
That's very cool looking what's it for?

Doug Griffith
02-14-2013, 11:07 AM
That's very cool looking what's it for?

Thanks, it's for photography.

Walt Langhans
02-14-2013, 5:51 PM
Thanks, it's for photography.

Looks like it could double for a sci fi prop as well :)

Doug Griffith
03-08-2013, 9:22 PM
3 weeks later and 8 prototypes are heading to Vegas for the show. They're 95% where they should be. All that's left to be done now is machine aluminum tooling to replace the composite tooling and tool up for a formed aluminum part to replace a cobbed together internal structure.

The stickers are:
Rowmark Flexicolor brushed aluminum over black.

Thanks for the suggestions. They came out really well.