PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Chuck Advice

Doug Goddard
02-13-2013, 4:41 PM
I'm building a 4th axis for my Joe's CastCNC router and want some input on a chuck. Woodcraft has the Nova Precision Midi chuck w/2 jaw sets on sale for $99 (reg $149). I can get a Nova G3 chuck for $125 w/1 jaw set. Size wise either chuck meets my needs. Anyone have any recommendations, pro's/con's? Input appreciated.

Richard Jones
02-13-2013, 5:39 PM
Doug,

The Midi uses tommy bars while the G3 uses a key/wrench. The G3 is maybe a bit heavier duty. Have you checked Nova's web page? They have reconditioned chucks for quite a bit less than new. I have several and I haven't been able to tell them from new. I'm assuming that you are aware that you need an adapter with the chuck for your specific thread?

http://www.novatoolsusa.com/Reconditioned-Products_c10.htm

Hope this helps.

Rich

PS After looking at the Midi with the two sets of jaws, that's a pretty good deal. I use both sizes quite a bit. Would probably come down to the tommy bars vs. one hand operation. And I also see that the Midi is a 1 x 8..........

Doug Goddard
02-13-2013, 7:25 PM
Rich, Thanks for the info. Think I'm going with the G3. Seller on ebay has the G3 with adapter for $125 and Woodcraft told me that they will be offering 15% discount on March 1 and 2. Like the key/wrench much more than the tommy bars. Looked at the reconditioned, however $89 for the chuck and $24 for the adapter plus shipping and I'm back to about same price for new one.

Anthony Diodati
02-14-2013, 8:51 PM
Doug,

http://www.novatoolsusa.com/Reconditioned-Products_c10.htm

Price
$109.99

Availability
See our Dealers

Looks like they don't have any recons right now. I see it went up $10.00.
I paid $100.00 for mine.

Anthony Diodati
02-14-2013, 8:53 PM
Rich, Thanks for the info. Think I'm going with the G3. Seller on ebay has the G3 with adapter for $125 and Woodcraft told me that they will be offering 15% discount on March 1 and 2. Like the key/wrench much more than the tommy bars. Looked at the reconditioned, however $89 for the chuck and $24 for the adapter plus shipping and I'm back to about same price for new one.
who has it for $89.00? $125.00 with adapter is a good price, what do they want for shipping?

Sorry, I was thinking of the super nova 2.
G 3 is said to be a good chuck too.