PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Dovetail Jig 4210/4212-Any Feedback?

Allen Bookout
05-03-2005, 10:56 PM
I have been thinking about the Porter Cable 4210 or 4212 dovetail jig. I did a search and found a post in March but nothing since. Have any of you guys had any experience with it and if so what are your opinions?

Unless things have changed I understand that the only bits that I can use are PC. I understand that seven degrees is really odd and shallow. I suppose that it is OK as long as the price does not get out of line. Also all routers will not work with it according to the manual. Also since it is not adjustable the width has to be standard or the ends will not work out right.

I know that there are other jigs that are very good but expensive and I did not want to spend an excessive amount as the use of the jig will be limited.

Thanks to you that have some experience with these jigs!

Allen

P.S. I was just reading another post about PC parts. I did not realize that PC and Dewalt are consolidating. May be it is time to stay away from both brands until things calm down.

Dev Emch
05-03-2005, 11:43 PM
I looked at the porter cable jigs, esp. the omnijigs and found them to be very well made. But they have severe limits. Usually, odd angle dovetail bits are not that odd. In fact, 7 degrees is a very good angle. Often, these bits are used for half blind dovetails and you need different angles with different depths. You cannot do variable spacing with half blinds using the porter cable system. They are all fixed space and fixed space looks like a machine of no skill level did the work. I researched long and hard and came to the conclusion that Leigh and their D-4 jig have it together. Dont think much about the FMT jig but the D-4 jig is the ticket. The most versatile. The easist to use. Unfortunately, I have seen the price just keep going up and up.

Allen Bookout
05-03-2005, 11:59 PM
I see what you mean. Gets into the bucks real quick. If I planed on doing masive amounts of dovetails I am sure that it would be worth the money. May be I will just get the video and could be it would change my mind. Thanks! Allen

Brad Knabel
05-04-2005, 8:20 AM
The new Leigh D1600 might be a reasonable comprimise for you. It provides variable spacing, supports 16" wide stock and is less expensive than the D4.