PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw advice

Gordon Eyre
02-13-2013, 4:18 PM
OK, with the new Grizzly bandsaw I just won I want to start out right so I am asking some advice. With the 10% off that Grizzly is offering I thought it would be a good time to equip the saw with a few items as follows:

1. Two Timber Wolf blades, a 3/8" PC for all around cutting and a 1/2" AS for resaw purposes.
2. An extension block kit to allow resawing at up to 12" instead of the 6" as the saw comes equipped.
3. A resaw retrofit fence.
4. Some zero insert plates.
5. Heavy duty mobile base.

Have I missed anything that is necessary to make the GO555LX saw perform at its best? With the 10% off I was able to save $30.00 on my order so I was happy about that. I also realize that the cost of these additional items is about half the cost of the entire bandsaw but I figured I would be happier to have it equipped properly at the beginning instead of waiting until I was unhappy with something before ordering a new part. I have also read the pro's and con's of ceramic vs ball bearing blade guides and at this point I felt it best to give it a try as equipped.

Advise and counsel would be appreciated.

Gus Dundon
02-13-2013, 4:48 PM
It is a good band saw but lots of good reviews. That band saw could be better with riser kit. IMHO.

Gordon Eyre
02-13-2013, 5:09 PM
It is a good band saw but lots of good reviews. That band saw could be better with riser kit. IMHO.

If I understand what a riser kit is I have one on order (see #2 above).

John Bailey
02-13-2013, 5:33 PM
You may want to get a couple of smaller blades. I find a 3/8" a little wide for general purpose. Although that will depend entirely how you're using the saw. I keep a 1/4" 6 TPI FOR general use and a 3/8" 3 TPI FOR resawing. I also keep a 1/4" 10 TPI for fine work. It's good to have at least a 3/16", or an 1/8" for the real curvy stuff although I rarely use them.

Its good to have extras around. When they go dull you'll start to have all sorts of trouble. Usually a new blade fixes it right up.

I wouldn't get one right now, I'd wait and see which blades work best for you, but when you decide on your chosen stable, you might consider bi-metal blades. They're more expensive but outlast the carbon blades about 10x's.

You listed a retro fit resaw miter gauge. I'm guessing you meant a resaw fence. If not, the retro fit fence would be a better choice. I've not heard of anyone switching out the miter gauge, but many have switched the fence.

By the way, congrats on the saw. My bandsaw is my go-to machine, and, my favorite. You'll enjoy it.

John

Gordon Eyre
02-13-2013, 5:59 PM
You may want to get a couple of smaller blades. I find a 3/8" a little wide for general purpose. Although that will depend entirely how you're using the saw. I keep a 1/4" 6 TPI FOR general use and a 3/8" 3 TPI FOR resawing. I also keep a 1/4" 10 TPI for fine work. It's good to have at least a 3/16", or an 1/8" for the real curvy stuff although I rarely use them.

Its good to have extras around. When they go dull you'll start to have all sorts of trouble. Usually a new blade fixes it right up.

I wouldn't get one right now, I'd wait and see which blades work best for you, but when you decide on your chosen stable, you might consider bi-metal blades. They're more expensive but outlast the carbon blades about 10x's.

You listed a retro fit resaw miter gauge. I'm guessing you meant a resaw fence. If not, the retro fit fence would be a better choice. I've not heard of anyone switching out the miter gauge, but many have switched the fence.

By the way, congrats on the saw. My bandsaw is my go-to machine, and, my favorite. You'll enjoy it.

John

Thanks John and your right, I did mean fence. I appreciate the advice on the blades.

John Bailey
02-13-2013, 6:10 PM
You'll also want to get Iturra Designs catalogue. It's like a text/history book for 14" bandsaws -- we'll worth the price of "free." Louis Iturra is a wealth of knowledge and his catalogue will help you make good choices while learning to use a bandsaw.

PM me and I'll send you one. Even though I've told him I don't need one, he's sent me three this winter with orders I've placed. Seems a shame to use them as fire starters for the wood burner.

John

Gordon Eyre
02-13-2013, 6:33 PM
How very nice of you John, PM on the way. Thanks a bunch.

Phil Thien
02-13-2013, 6:50 PM
You'll also want to get Iturra Designs catalogue. It's like a text/history book for 14" bandsaws -- we'll worth the price of "free." Louis Iturra is a wealth of knowledge and his catalogue will help you make good choices while learning to use a bandsaw.

PM me and I'll send you one. Even though I've told him I don't need one, he's sent me three this winter with orders I've placed. Seems a shame to use them as fire starters for the wood burner.

John

If they're the newer ones, how about sending one to me so I can scan/PDF it and make it available to anyone that wants to download it?

I can PM you my address.

Jim O'Dell
02-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Gordon, this is one simple item no bandsaw should be without. I looked and looked online and in the new Grizzly catalog but couldn't find this, so here is a link to a bandsaw blade tuning stone at Woodcraft. Multiple stores carry this, and I bet Grizzly does too, but it's not in the bandsaw accessory pages...at least that I could find. Jim.

Gordon Eyre
02-14-2013, 1:00 AM
Gordon, this is one simple item no bandsaw should be without. I looked and looked online and in the new Grizzly catalog but couldn't find this, so here is a link to a bandsaw blade tuning stone at Woodcraft. Multiple stores carry this, and I bet Grizzly does too, but it's not in the bandsaw accessory pages...at least that I could find. Jim.

Couldn't find your link Jim but I will look it up in the Woodcraft catalog. Thanks.

John Bailey
02-14-2013, 12:38 PM
If they're the newer ones, how about sending one to me so I can scan/PDF it and make it available to anyone that wants to download it?

I can PM you my address.

PM sent.

John