PDA

View Full Version : Triangle or T- Square for Squaring Sheet Good

George Bokros
02-13-2013, 1:51 PM
Thinking about which of these would be better for squaring sheet goods, a drywall t-square (if you can find one that will be dead square) or this large triangle. Here is a link to the triangle on Amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/CH-A-Square-Folding-Triangle-Package/dp/B00004TKDP/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi

The triangle if it is truly 3'X4'X5' should be a perfect right triangle, the t-square on the other hand is subject to it opening to a true right angle each time you open it.

Thanks

George

phil harold
02-13-2013, 2:45 PM
I have one of those triangles
It is good for for layout of of lines on floors for tile walls and whatnot
squaring sheet goods, it could be a reference, but not to use as a saw guide

George Bokros
02-13-2013, 2:51 PM
I have one of those triangles
It is good for for layout of of lines on floors for tile walls and whatnot
squaring sheet goods, it could be a reference, but not to use as a saw guide

I wasn't planning on using it as a saw guide. I would use it to square the other three sides to one reference side then cut them with a track saw.

Mike Goetzke
02-13-2013, 3:19 PM
I wasn't planning on using it as a saw guide. I would use it to square the other three sides to one reference side then cut them with a track saw.

What track saw system do you have? Many have attachments for your rail that will square against one of the long straight edges. (Maybe you already know this but the long sides of ply are pretty straight and parallel to each other but the ends generally not square to the sides.)

Mike

George Bokros
02-13-2013, 3:28 PM
What track saw system do you have? Many have attachments for your rail that will square against one of the long straight edges. (Maybe you already know this but the long sides of ply are pretty straight and parallel to each other but the ends generally not square to the sides.)

Mike

Don't have a track saw yet but planning on getting the Eureka Zone or the TruTrack system.

Mike Goetzke
02-13-2013, 3:39 PM
Don't have a track saw yet but planning on getting the Eureka Zone or the TruTrack system.

I have had the Eurekazone system for years. If you get about a 55" rail and their square you will be able to make cross cuts. If you get the new UEG (universal edge guide) you will be able to make rip cuts. Before the UEG I connected a couple of rails to make 8' rips on ply but it was bulky and you needed to line up the rail edge to the cut line. You might also want to get a smart table kit or make something similar yourself for material support.

Mike

UEG in action (well - still action):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Projects/Router%20Table/Cut%20Panels/IMG_0011_zps61fff707.jpg