PDA

View Full Version : Which mid-size bandsaw is best?

Igor Vasilenko
02-13-2013, 1:21 PM
Hi guys,

I am going through a shop upgrade - bought several new machines but stalled when I got to the bandsaw... so many choices and requirements!

My current Delta 14" riser-block saw is basically obsolete for my work now. I used to resaw small stock, but because I am now into bookmatched panels, I find it challenging to cut a 12" board open on the saw I have.

Anyway, I have the chance to buy a General Intenational 18" bandsaw #90 270 for $1,999 from my local dealer. Regular price was $2,600.

It's specs. are:

12" resaw (not bad for me)

3 HP 19 amp motor

600+ lb. - quite heavy for an 18" saw, I think

foot brake - an essential for me

Now, I am wondering if there is a bandsaw out here at a similar price with same or better features. Out of the Grizzly saws, I only liked the G0566B as being similar price and somewhat better features. It does way less, though.
European saws like the Minimax are interesting as well.

I am willing to pay up to $2,600 including shipping.
I am looking for at least 16" for European saws and 18" for Asian saws as for wheel diameter.

Used saws are also on my list.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Steven Lee, NC
02-13-2013, 1:30 PM
I don't know what the wheel diameter is but I have the SUV and really like it. I wish the table extended out past the blade a bit more but I bought it because of its small footprint to resaw abilty ratio so I really can't complain about that :rolleyes:

http://www.lagunatools.com/bandsaws/bandsaw-lt14suv

eugene thomas
02-13-2013, 2:17 PM
I don't do much resawing but one job i needed to resaw some wood 12" resaw was barley cutting it, i have 513 grizzly. If your work is going that route would want saw wiith more resaw capability than 12".

Bruce Page
02-13-2013, 2:23 PM
You should be able to find a used MM16 in your price range. The MM is one of the best mid size bandsaws out there, IMO.

Andrew Gibson
02-13-2013, 2:28 PM
I have a grizzly g0513x2 and have no complaints with the saw at all... I resawed some 12" cherry last week on it. If you are looking to do a lot of resawing I would definitely consider the griz G0636x. It has 16" resaw height, 5hp single phaze motor, and a foot break.

John Bailey
02-13-2013, 2:30 PM
The Grizzly 636X will be right in your price range with Grizzly's stated shipping. Don't know if shipping is different to Canada. Specs are very good, weighs quite a bit more and is said by many to compete well will the European saws. If you are going used, you can't go wrong with one of the European saws in good shape.

John

Andrew Joiner
02-13-2013, 2:43 PM
What is the return policy on the General? Can you test it in the store with a decent blade on your stock? Have you tried a good resaw blade on your current saw? I can recommend the Grizzly 21'' saw. A 14'' saw with the best carbide blade it can tension may give you acceptable results much cheaper.

Here's my story on picking a bandsaw.

I bought an 18" Rikon about 7 years ago and was disappointed. I think I got a lemon saw. I couldn't get it tuned up enough to make it worth buying a woodslicer or carbide blade for it, so I returned it.

About 5 years ago I bought one of the last Grizzly 21'' G0531 5 hp with a footbrake for around $1450 new plus shipping. I got a resawking blade deal from Laguna . I think it was $50 each for 2 blades. About the same price as the quick to dull woodslicer. I tested both resawkings 5 years ago at purchase and was unimpressed. The resawkings were only marginally smoother than a Timberwolf. Not anywhere near what Highland says a woodslicer will do in a much cheaper saw. Still I got a good 21" saw at a good price so I was OK with that. I found by searching here at Sawmillcreek that no bandsaw and blade combination anyone had could cut as smooth as the best tablesaw blades.

Then a few weeks ago I sliced a 6" wide 12/4 quilted maple slab into near perfect 1/16" veneers with the $50 resawking 7/8" wide blade. Both faces are smoother than most of my table saw blades! The sawn surface is easily ready for 100 grit RO sanding.The set up was the same as my tests 5 years ago, except I did tension the blade more. This time I tensioned the blade as much as I could by hand on the tension wheel of my Grizzly 21" saw. The saw gauge read just over 1-1/8".
This quilted maple veneer is so smooth and uniform off the saw I didn't need to joint each face before I sawed a slice. I can glue it down with both faces only processed by the bandsaw. This saves wood and gives a better bookmatch. No planing or drum sanding of the precious quilt needed.

So in my long quest I'm now very happy thanks to LOTS of tension.

Rod Sheridan
02-13-2013, 4:28 PM
There's also the Hammer N4400...........Rod.

Link to video of the saw.

http://www.felder-group.ca/ca-us/video/hammer-n4400.html

Myk Rian
02-13-2013, 4:39 PM
Look for a used Delta 20". That'll take care of the re-saw problem.

Gus Dundon
02-13-2013, 4:53 PM
Laguna, Rikon or the Powermatic PM1800 .goodluck!

Igor Vasilenko
02-13-2013, 6:30 PM
You should be able to find a used MM16 in your price range. The MM is one of the best mid size bandsaws out there, IMO.

How much is a new MM16?

Thanks.

Bruce Page
02-13-2013, 6:36 PM
How much is a new MM16?

Thanks.

I don't really know. I paid $1900 plus shipping for mine in 2004.

Wade Lippman
02-13-2013, 7:33 PM
You could just get 2 Rikon 18ers and have some cash left over.

Rich Riddle
02-13-2013, 9:03 PM
How much is a new MM16?

Thanks.
$2895 plus shipping. Erik can offer better guidance there.

Rich Riddle
02-13-2013, 9:04 PM

Easier said than done to find a used MM16. They seem quite elusive these days.

John Coloccia
02-13-2013, 9:08 PM
I'm vaguely looking around for one myself :)

Jim Andrew
02-13-2013, 9:15 PM
MiniMax usually has a sale about the end of the year. Mine included shipping and a resaw blade, but I got a 04 model in January 05 for 2500 delivered. Doesn't sound so good against that 1900. And the 05 model had more hp and more resaw. Of course, 14" isn't bad.

Bruce Wrenn
02-13-2013, 9:42 PM
What ever you buy, don't get rid of your 14" Delta. Had a friend do so and kicks his butt every day for getting rid of 14" Delta.

Bruce Page
02-14-2013, 12:17 AM
What ever you buy, don't get rid of your 14" Delta. Had a friend do so and kicks his butt every day for getting rid of 14" Delta.

+1 on this. I sold my 14" Delta and regretted it too. I ended up buying a 10" Rikon for small stuff.

Bruce Page
02-14-2013, 12:20 AM
Easier said than done to find a used MM16. They seem quite elusive these days.

Very true. We actually had one on the local CL a few weeks ago, the guy was asking $1500 for it. I thought I had the only one in town.

John C Bush
02-14-2013, 1:20 AM
I have the 531B Griz ' 21", 5hp, and have been very happy with it. I too started with a Rikon 18", liked it, but wanted a foot brake and larger capacity. Looked at the sexy Italians, but I live 1 1/2 hrs from Griz store. Drove up with my trailer and it was too big to lay on its back, actually they said it would be too hard to unload without a forklift, and I didn't want to drive on the freeway with it vertical. I had to pay the same shipping to Seattle as it would have been to Las Vegas!!!

Great machine. Heavy, large table, heavy cast fence, lots of power, can set up easily for accurate resawing. I use a Lennox 1" MC 3 tpi. Great value blade choice. I have replaced the guide bearings once-I bought cheapies and will likely upgrade to better ones next time. I had milled lots of old pine beams and, even with "sealed" bearings, they seemed to get buggered up with goo and don't roll as smoothly as I want. I think this is a good machine for the $$$$$. All the Griz BSs looked good in the showroom so I don't think you could go wrong with any of the heavy duty models.Good luck, JCB.

Mike Holbrook
02-14-2013, 2:51 AM
I ran a couple threads on the same subject. Narrowed it down to the Hammer & Laguna. I got a good local deal on the Laguna LT 14 SUV with 1 1/4" Resaw King blade & DriftMaster fence so rolled with it. No regrets so far, very powerful saw for the price, size & weight.

Just got a notice from Laguna saying they are moving their warehouse and offering big discounts on some floor/demo models, might be worth checking.

Igor Vasilenko
02-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Agree, might have to go with at least 14" resaw capacity then.

Igor Vasilenko
02-14-2013, 10:37 AM
The dealer I saw the GI at had a 30-day return policy, while the saw itself has a 2 year warranty. That's pretty good compared to Gizzly's 1 year. On the other hand, Grizzly's prices seem better? I believe both GI and Grizzly order their bandsaws from Geetech Tiawan if I'm not mistaken.

I have tried the 3/4" 105" Laguna resaw king on my 14" Delta, and it's OK but the 3/4 HP motor is just not enough "oomph" for the 12" resaw height, and the smaller wheel diameter and blade width capacity restricts my blade choices greatly. If not that, I would probably not be looking for a bigger saw.

Thanks.

Igor Vasilenko
02-14-2013, 10:42 AM
I've heard some not-so-good reviews on some of the Rikon saws a while back. Has that chaged recently?

Igor Vasilenko
02-14-2013, 10:44 AM
There's also the Hammer N4400...........Rod.

Link to video of the saw.

http://www.felder-group.ca/ca-us/video/hammer-n4400.html

The saw does not seem to come with a foot brake, yet one of the photos shows a foot brake up close. Am I missing something?

Igor Vasilenko
02-14-2013, 10:48 AM
I ran a couple threads on the same subject. Narrowed it down to the Hammer & Laguna.

Some Laguna customers said their CS was not the best by a long shot. Is this still so?

Bill ThompsonNM
02-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Some Laguna customers said their CS was not the best by a long shot. Is this still so?
From what I can tell Laguna CS seems to run hot and cold. In my case I got superb assistance from them while I was purchasing a used Laguna LT18. Multiple phone calls and emails with pictures and I was purchasing it from a third party!

it may be that they're understaffed and it depends on how busy they are when you call. The expansion of selling through Woodcraft and Rockler has hopefully enabled them to staff up to meet the demand.

Gus Dundon
02-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Seems like foot brake to you is really necessary. I bought band saw before doesn't have foot brake and I realized now that I need a foot brake.

Igor Vasilenko
02-14-2013, 6:38 PM
Seems like foot brake to you is really necessary. I bought band saw before doesn't have foot brake and I realized now that I need a foot brake.

It is. Large cast iron bandsaw wheels without a brake could take a while to stop.

John Coloccia
02-14-2013, 7:11 PM
It is. Large cast iron bandsaw wheels without a brake could take a while to stop.

Amen. My 19" Grizzly takes about a minute to stop with a big blade on it. 1/4" blades are maybe 30 seconds.

Igor Vasilenko
02-15-2013, 6:57 AM
So by now, I've narrowed it down to either one of the larger Grizzly bandsaws with the foot or electric brake, a used MM-16 or some other SCM saw (probably hard to find in my area), or the General International bandsaw I have looked at.

As I found out, the GI bandsaw had been discontinued around 2009, and is very well built.

But then I went onto the Minimax website, and they offer a lease-to-own option with equal monthly payments. Has anyone gone this route before with them?

Here is the link:
http://minimax-usa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=36&Itemid=41

Erik Loza
02-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Igor, you would want to talk to the Canadian SCM dealership on the leasing question. That's the US site and not sure if the lease policies are the same between our side and yoru side. I would be happy to get you their contact info if you want, just PM me.

Regarding the footbrake, you are correct: We call for that on all the Centauro (MM-series, aka "S400P", et al) due to the weight of the flywheels. They would coast forever if you just shut them off and didn't use a brake. Out of curiosity, have you looked a the S45N? Long history in the Minimax lineup and the bandsaw industry. The Canadian dealer should be able to hook you up with all the info on it.

best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Igor Vasilenko
02-15-2013, 1:10 PM
Does anyone on this forum own a Minimax or any other SCM bandsaw? Do you like it?

Thanks.

Richard Scholl
02-20-2013, 1:29 PM
If you can wait until one comes available, really nice used saws appear on various sites (e.g., MM, Felder) from time to time. Occasionally one will be close enough to make it worthwhile. The wait can be excessive, but if you get lucky the reward is great.

Jim Matthews
02-20-2013, 2:14 PM
I own an MM20.

It's a monster. Once the blade is set to zero drift, resawing is a breeze.
The only thing I dislike is the Euro guide - I'm retrofitting with ball bearing guides from Carter.

Be advised that the stock fence is rudimentary, and either a homebrew or aftermarket fence is essential for the heights you intend to scale...

Have a look on Kijiji, there are some interesting candidates for adoption...here (http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-business-industrial-New-King-Canada-14-3-Speed-Bandsaw-W0QQAdIdZ451780598) and here (http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-business-industrial-Bandsaw-575-V-W0QQAdIdZ435700151).
Good luck moving the second one, with 24" wheels it will probable be a metric ton!

Jim Barrett
02-20-2013, 9:48 PM
If you are looking for a resawing machine then a MM is great...I just sold my MM16 and will be looking at a MM S45N or Hammer N4400...more refined IMO...nice guides, better fence, etc...more of a furniture makers BS...just quoting MM so don't get your undies in a bundle. If you are a bowl turner or like to resaw big lumber then get a MM16, 20 or 24...

Jim

marty shultz
02-20-2013, 10:46 PM
I have a delta 14", Laguna LT16, Felder FB540 and a Rikon 18". I like all of them except the Rikon hasn't held up that well. After 1 year the motor went out. It probably had less that 2 hours on it. The CS was good and they replaced the motor. The tires were very cracked after 5 year while the Laguna is a '98 model (i think) and the Felder is an '06 with no tire issues. I replace the tires on my delta which is about a '88 model once. I do like the plexiglas window to see the blade and the lever arm de-tensioner on the rikon.

I bought all the saws used except the Rikon. I checked craigslist every day for many key words like minimax, felder, scm, laguna......