PDA

View Full Version : veneering a concave surface

Doug Cook
02-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Hi folks,
I have a double problem in that I have to veneer a cabinet top which is about 26" x 24" but the problem is the surface is concave about 3/16" dead center and about 14" in diameter. The veneer itself is rather wavy but am using a combo water/alcohol/glycerine mix to soften the veneer. I think I sort of solved the wavy problem, but is there a "filler" that I could use to reduce the concavity of the substrate surface? It is like a shallow bowl, 14" diam and 1/16" depression in center.
DCook

Jamie Buxton
02-13-2013, 11:24 AM
You say in one point in your posting that the depression is 1/16" deep, and in another place that it is 3/16" deep. If it is only 1/16", you should be okay. I'd use a vacuum press to ensure that the veneer conforms to the curved surface. If the depression is 3/16 deep, filling it might be a better approach. The challenge with filling and flattening is that flattening step. You might consider making a new top -- well, a new substrate -- that has a flat surface.

johnny means
02-13-2013, 12:28 PM
I would say to back up a step and deal with the substrate issue. Is there any particular reason for the dished substrate? Is it part of an existing piece and needs to be reused or is it new and could be refabricated from scratch?

Jeff Duncan
02-13-2013, 4:28 PM
I'm also confused....is the top 'supposed' to be concave and your trying to veneer it? Or is the top concave b/c it's warped or some other defect and your trying to veneer it? For me the answer would be very different depending on what the question is. I'm guessing the concave part is a problem area in which case I would certainly fix it before wasting veneer on it. How to fix it is going to require a lot more information and preferably pics as well. Is the top solid wood? If solid is it dry or? Is it attached or can it be taken off the rest of the cabinet? Is it finished top and bottom or at all? Just need a much better picture of what your trying to do here.....

JeffD

william watts
02-13-2013, 5:29 PM
Hi folks,
I have a double problem in that I have to veneer a cabinet top which is about 26" x 24" but the problem is the surface is concave about 3/16" dead center and about 14" in diameter. The veneer itself is rather wavy but am using a combo water/alcohol/glycerine mix to soften the veneer. I think I sort of solved the wavy problem, but is there a "filler" that I could use to reduce the concavity of the substrate surface? It is like a shallow bowl, 14" diam and 1/16" depression in center.
DCook
Hi Doug
I have used "Bondo" to fill around knots and cracks and works well, finishes and sands nicely but not sure how it glues. I think it would work, but make a test sample. It can be sanded and leveled to the surface, and works easily if you catch it just before it hardens
Bill