PDA

View Full Version : A "Bouncing Betsy"? (Long) (PICS)

Dale Thompson
05-03-2005, 9:57 PM
Hi Folks,
I think that was the name given to a bomb in WWII that was used for dam busting. I came close to having one on the TS late yesterday afternoon.

We have quite a few safety posts on this Forum. That is GOOD! Here is another one: A while back, we had a very long and informative discussion on the Sawstop. I made several points on safety in the shop in that post. Two of them involved “fatigue” and “showing off”. This is the scenario:

I am making a rounded table/cabinet for my daughter and SIL. The cabinet part requires four simple shelves. They are Oak plywood faced with solid Oak strips. They are simple rectangles with one corner rounded at a 4” radius. After many complex, for me, mathematical calculations, I determined that if I ripped about 1” from the back of the shelves and about 1” from each square end, the shelves would fit “better” into the cabinet. BRILLIANT!! Anyway, I was a bit tired but even a normal moron who was half asleep could SAFELY make four “simple” rips and four “simple” cross cuts on some “simple” flat stock. FIRST MISTAKE: I AM A SUBNORMAL MORON! Also, it was time to pour a “pint” and check out the cadavers who were floating down The Creek and showing off their talent. In addition, while I was not exactly “showing off”, I was mentally patting myself on the back for a few “new” cuts that I had made earlier in the day. Actually, they weren’t even mediocre but they weren’t total scrap either.

Pic #1 Shows what I think went wrong. The shelf hit the fence and I kind of deflected it away from me. As luck would have it, the piece “danced” across the blade and didn’t even leave the tabletop. I will admit, though, that there was a second or two when I wished that I were somewhere else – ANYWHERE else! After I hit the floor and killed the motor, my first reaction was that I had forgotten to “lock” the fence. WRONG! The fence had moved over about two inches but was still in the “locked” position. I didn’t think that that was even possible. Fortunately for me, it had apparently absorbed much of the potential “kickback” energy.

Pic #2 Shows that I SHOULD have feed the radiused end first and also shows the tracks of the blade as the shelf “danced” in a manner that was completely out of control.

I just wrecked one out of my four shelves.

From the three left, I did a perfect job of shortening the first TWO! You will not believe Pic#3 – even if you know me! Being a bit “shook up” I started to cut the WRONG end! Well, for some reason, instead of finishing my mistake, I decided to pull back on the Incra. BAD DECISION!! Again, I was VERY lucky. The Incra absorbed most of the “kick” and the only damage was that it was knocked out of “square by about 7 deg.

Pic #4 shows you the damage to the second shelf. HEH! Two out of four is a darn good average for moi!

Moral: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A “SIMPLE” CUT! Either CONCENTRATE or PROCRASTINATE – no exceptions!

DISCLAIMER: The guard is removed from the saw for picture clarity. ;)
DISCLAIMER: NASA removed my brain many years ago. They had a new electron microscope with which then could view sub-atomic particles. For twenty years they have searched for a SINGLE living brain cell. To date, the results have NOT been encouraging! :o :( :eek: :eek:

Dale T.

John Miliunas
05-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Hey Pesh! I thought you were under Dr.'s orders to be taking it light!!!:mad: What? You think the nurses over there miss you THAT much?! Dang it, man, they were happy to get rid of you the first time!:D Dooooooood, I'm just really happy you weren't hurt and by the looks of those boards, hurt BIG time! The first one was bad enough, but then to go and do it a second time! Sheeesh....What were you thinking? You sure your blade didn't get bent after the first mishap? Pesh, you may really want to consider sticking to the scroll saw for a while longer! You take care and thanks for the heads up and all that, but we really, REALLY like to see you around here in one piece!:) :cool:

Dale Thompson
05-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Hey Pesh! I thought you were under Dr.'s orders to be taking it light!!!:mad: What? You think the nurses over there miss you THAT much?! Dang it, man, they were happy to get rid of you the first time!:D Dooooooood, :

Hey Spring,
I'm danged if I do and danged if I don't! :cool: If those young nurses don't quit calling me at home, the LOML is going to KILL me! What a waste of a new chainsaw chain! ;) :eek:

I'm starting a new business. I'm setting up a crying towel concession stand outside of the hospital. That way I can give those pretty young ladies a chance to dry their eyes on their way IN to work, on ALL of their breaks and on their way OUT! I know that I will have to hire security to keep from being physically attacked but that is one of the costs of becoming the Bill Gates of grief, jealousy and lust! It's not going to be a pleasant job but somebody had to be the first to think "outside of the box". :rolleyes: ;) :)

Dale T.

Wes Bischel
05-04-2005, 2:11 AM
Dale,

Glad you weren't hurt either time! I guess it's time to take a break - with one of the nurses possibly? ;)

Actually it's called a "Bouncing Betty" Vietnam era anti personnel mine(though similar used by the Germans in WWII) It's also known as the castration mine. :eek: When activated (stepped on) it pops into the air about 30" then explodes in a 360 degree pattern with a range about 80-90'

Wes

Karl Laustrup
05-04-2005, 6:55 AM
Glad you were unscathed physically.:) Of course mentally, I think the jury is still out. ;) :D My jury has gone on extended holiday. :o :eek:

Pesh, I've been there, done that. Well, not exactly that, and now with your lucid rendition, I will not have to traverse that road. Well, that's if the sponge in the cavity between my ears would hold anything other than air. :o

As there doesn't appear to be any way to get from here to there [and vice versa] via any known form of transportation, we should consider ourselves lucky. The damage we could do together!!! OY, VEY!! There would probably be a worldwide wood shortage, just so we could build a simple wooden box. ;) :eek: :D

Take care and look at my signature below with the smily face.

Karl

Jay Knepper
05-04-2005, 7:24 AM
Great post, very sobering. It's amazing how bad things seem to pile up. But your post clearly points out the underlying reason for the "bad luck". Sometimes you've just got to hang up the apron for the day.

It's somewhat like eating in a lousy restaurant. You have a bad entree and decide to redeem the meal by ordering desert. Never works. In a restaurant, however, the consequences are generally less painful than in the workshop!

John Hart
05-04-2005, 7:41 AM
Dale,

You brought back some horrific memories for me....'cept with mine, the wood didn't attack me...It was the Radial Arm Saw that flew at me. (One of those big industrial killer saws, chest high)

....don't recall whether I soiled myself or not :eek:

John Renzetti
05-04-2005, 8:52 AM
hi Dale, Thanks for sharing that experience. I had that happen once a long time ago in my pre slider days.
When I do use the rip fence on my saw I bring it back so that it ends just beyond the blade at the splitter. I find that this gives better control and less chance for the board to turn if the fence has too much toe in or out.
take care,
John

Dennis McDonaugh
05-04-2005, 9:47 AM
hi Dale, Thanks for sharing that experience. I had that happen once a long time ago in my pre slider days.
When I do use the rip fence on my saw I bring it back so that it ends just beyond the blade at the splitter. I find that this gives better control and less chance for the board to turn if the fence has too much toe in or out.
take care,
John

Not to hijack the thread, but John can you rip with a sliding table?

John Renzetti
05-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but John can you rip with a sliding table?
Hi Denis, Yes you can. The length is limited by the length of the slider. I have a 9ft slider and use it to rip rough boards. One end of the board will be clamped under a "shoe," while the other is held by a hold down clamp that is attached to the slider via the slot in the table. All I do is turn the saw on and walk it through the blade. Pretty safe operation. I have also glue line ripped a finish board on the slider. This takes a bit more setup and unless the board is real long I'll just use the rip fence.
I'll try to get a picture posted so you can get an idea what this looks like.
take care,
John

Jerry Clark
05-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Hey Dale, "Been there done that". :mad: Still got 10!:o

Effie Lever
05-04-2005, 10:30 AM
Dale,

It's nice to know you are still typing with 10 fingers, and thanks for reminding us that some days we're better of just watching TV (or even better, planning the next project). Great sense of humor, always enjoys your posts.:o <O:p</O:p

Dennis McDonaugh
05-04-2005, 10:33 AM
Hi Denis, Yes you can. The length is limited by the length of the slider. I have a 9ft slider and use it to rip rough boards. One end of the board will be clamped under a "shoe," while the other is held by a hold down clamp that is attached to the slider via the slot in the table. All I do is turn the saw on and walk it through the blade. Pretty safe operation. I have also glue line ripped a finish board on the slider. This takes a bit more setup and unless the board is real long I'll just use the rip fence.
I'll try to get a picture posted so you can get an idea what this looks like.
take care,
John

Thanks John

Kurt Aebi
05-04-2005, 1:19 PM
Dale,

Glad you are all right :D Physcally!! I Mean :eek: There was never a doublt about the mental part - you are like me (LACKING IN THAT DEPARTMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I've got a Numb Thumb to show for it.
The Pin that they used to hold the mangled mess together until it all grew back together has been Glued to the front of my overhead blade guard to keep me reminded about the beast beneath!!!

Good to share these types of incidents with us, it reminds us to "Think Twice, Cut Once!" :rolleyes:

Dale Thompson
05-04-2005, 9:27 PM
Of course mentally, I think the jury is still out. ;) :D My jury has gone on extended holiday. :o
Pesh, I've been there, done that. Well, not exactly that, and now with your lucid rendition, I will not have to traverse that road. Well, that's if the sponge in the cavity between my ears would hold anything other than air. :o

As there doesn't appear to be any way to get from here to there [and vice versa] via any known form of transportation, we should consider ourselves lucky. The damage we could do together!!! OY, VEY!! There would probably be a worldwide wood shortage, just so we could build a simple wooden box. ;) :eek:

Take care and look at my signature below with the smily face.

Karl

Karl,
Why is it that we "Cheeseheads" are always bragging about our incredible mental superiority over the rest of the world? :confused: I think that we should become more humble and try to empathize with those less "blessed". :cool:

In fact, I have been considering making the "ultimate" sacrifice. I may just put my necklace mirror in the drawer and try not to look at myself every fifteen seconds. I wonder if there is a "patch" for "quitting mirrors"? :(

Karl, it's not YOU making mistakes! It's the smoke from Spring's scrap fires that is getting in your eyes! :)

Dale T.

John Miliunas
05-04-2005, 10:43 PM
Karl, it's not YOU making mistakes! It's the smoke from Spring's scrap fires that is getting in your eyes! :)

Dale T.

Ha! Shows how much YOU know! I generate enough scrap to heat a couple full-size houses, yet don't even have a woodburner over here! My scrap is being burned at my buddy's house, miles away from here!!!:D :cool: