PDA

View Full Version : I got an email from Woodcraft today, and now I'm ticked....

Jim O'Dell
02-12-2013, 10:32 PM
There has been a Woodcraft store on the west side of Ft. Worth, about 8 minutes from the house. The email says they are moving, to the northeast corner of the city, actually outside Fort Worth city limits. That is about 25 miles away.:mad: I rarely go to that side of town for anything. Now I won't have a quick go to place for my finishes. I work about 8 or 9 miles north of the Rockler in Arlington, but not sure how late they are open. I wouldn't be able to get to them until about 6:30. And I wonder if this is a good idea for Woodcraft or not. There was a General dealer out that direction about 5 years ago. They closed down before I had a chance to get into the store to look around. Couldn't have been open a year. Nuts. Jim.

Jim Underwood
02-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Your 25 miles is still closer than my 57.5 miles... But I know what you mean. I sure wish it were closer too... But maybe it's a good thing. If it were closer I'd be broke ALL the time...

Stephen Cherry
02-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Maybe it's cheaper rent.

Jeff Monson
02-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Your 25 miles is still closer than my 57.5 miles... But I know what you mean. I sure wish it were closer too... But maybe it's a good thing. If it were closer I'd be broke ALL the time...

Beats my 246 mile trip all to heck!! I'd be thrilled with a 25 mile trip.

Ron Griffiths
02-12-2013, 11:22 PM
I have to drive 75 miles. I usually end up ordering on-line. We use to have one 5 miles from my house.

Matt Meiser
02-13-2013, 7:44 AM
Mine is 25 miles, but with Toledo vs. DFW traffic mine would seem a lot closer.

Rob Matarazzo
02-13-2013, 8:53 AM
I would be happy with 25 miles. There's nothing around here. The nearest Woodcraft is in Connecticut.

Larry Browning
02-13-2013, 8:55 AM
Jim,
I don't think you are going to get much sympathy from those of us who live outside a major metropolitan area. It is nice to be able to put your hands on the stuff you buy before you buy, but it is really not necessary. The internet is a wonderful thing when it comes to woodworking. I visit a good woodworking store maybe twice a year, but I buy stuff from them weekly. Once you get used to the idea, it really is more convenient to order online. It just takes a little more advance planning. You don't have to go anywhere, it comes to you.
As for finishing products, Target Coating is a great place to order on line. It take about a week for an order to arrive. There are other great places to order finishing supplies as well, such as Homestead Finishing, and many many more. Advance planning is the key.

Phil Thien
02-13-2013, 8:57 AM
Jim, any idea why they are moving? Maybe they thing the demographics are better (they may already know more of their customers are closer)? Or the rent could be cheaper, as someone mentioned. Or they could be moving the shop closer to an owner's residence?

I'd be curious why they decided to move.

Keith Outten
02-13-2013, 9:12 AM
I'm not a big fan of WoodCraft because the Corporate office has not been kind to The Creek. I will say that I do visit and purchase some items from the WoodCraft Store in Norfolk VA a couple times per year, the local Store Manager is a great guy and the Staff is very friendly. The drive is about 30 miles but it takes about 1.5 hours to get there from my home.

Stores don't close up or move if they have the necessary support from the local population. When people visit a store then rush home to purchase on the Internet the store will soon cease to exist. I purchase a lot of items and supplies from Internet sites but I do prefer to patronize a local store when they are available even though I know the price will be higher.

Bill Huber
02-13-2013, 9:15 AM
Well you know what they say, what is bad for one is good for another. It cuts the mileage down by about 10 miles, but it is harder to get to and with the construction going on with 183 it will take me longer to get there.
I am just wondering why they are doing it, moving from Fort Worth to Hurst, maybe it is the taxes or something like that.

Myk Rian
02-13-2013, 10:42 AM
I go to the local Marsh Power Tools store. About 10 miles, and they carry Rockler products.
Woodcraft is 50 miles to the closest of 4 stores. Rarely do I get to one.

Kevin Bourque
02-13-2013, 11:05 AM
There's a simple solution: Move closer.:)

Jon Wilson
02-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Just Sayin...

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk292/gottathrow/woodcraft_zps403c726f.jpg

Gordon Eyre
02-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Think how you would have felt if they just moved and didn't tell you. :-)

Harry Hagan
02-13-2013, 1:02 PM
I’m crying big alligator tears for you, Jim! :(

Jim Rimmer
02-13-2013, 1:06 PM
I live in the Houston area and it's about 20+ miles to the nearest Woodcraft plus about $7 or $8 in tolls. Unless i want to hold what I'm buying or ask questions, I order on line from WC when I need their stuff. With gas prices and tolls, it ends up being cheaper.

Dennis Peacock
02-13-2013, 1:44 PM
How about 6 hour drive (one way) to my nearest Woodcraft store.....and there's not a woodworking supply in Arkansas. The closest lumber supplier for various woodworking hobby stuff now only sells to commercial businesses. I guess I could drive to Dallas, Texas to get wood. ;)

Bruce Page
02-13-2013, 2:15 PM
You’ll get no sympathy from me. They closed down our only Woodcraft a couple of years ago.

Steve Meliza
02-13-2013, 3:59 PM
I tend to visit Rockler over Woodcraft because the Rockler store is only about a 1/4 mile out of the way when going home from work where as the Woodcraft store is 3 miles past the house. I'd be willing to give that all away to not be able to see any other houses from mine and have to wait for UPS to bring my Waterlox to me.

Larry Browning
02-13-2013, 4:57 PM
How about 6 hour drive (one way) to my nearest Woodcraft store.....and there's not a woodworking supply in Arkansas. The closest lumber supplier for various woodworking hobby stuff now only sells to commercial businesses. I guess I could drive to Dallas, Texas to get wood. ;)
There is one in Tulsa, which is only a 4 hour drive for you.:)
Surly there is a place to buy wood in Little Rock. That is only a 30 minute drive for you isn't it? If not you can come over here to Fort Smith, we have a place to buy wood.
Man! I sure wish someone would open a Woodcraft or Rockler in Little Rock. I go over there quite often, now that my son moved there.

See Jim, you don't know how good you have it.

Erik France
02-13-2013, 6:59 PM
There has been a Woodcraft store on the west side of Ft. Worth, about 8 minutes from the house. The email says they are moving, to the northeast corner of the city, actually outside Fort Worth city limits. That is about 25 miles away.
I'm going to miss them too, and I probably won't get out to the new store much. I hate driving over in that area, especially from South Fort Worth. After hearing some of the distances some folks have to go, I guess I'm just spoiled. (still going to miss that store).

Jim O'Dell
02-13-2013, 8:42 PM
Yeah Eric, I guess I am spoiled too. I might have to look into the Target Coatings Larry. I've seen them mentioned here a lot. I don't spray. Lately I've been using Waterlox too Steve. I was working on refinishing a chair for my wife, finally got a nice day temp wise, and low and behold the can I had was jelled. I'm sure I shook it up and/or didn't get enough Bloxygen in it, but it was a 25 minute round trip and I was working again. The Rockler in Arlington wouldn't be too bad for you Eric, but it's easily an hour and fifteen minute trip for me, plus the time in the store. The new Woodcraft location will probably be worse because of the traffic out there. Maybe they will have a moving sale by the end of the month and I can stock up on supplies!!!:rolleyes:
Thanks for putting things back in perspective for me guys. I just read the email when I posted last night...kind of caught me off guard. They just moved to this location what 3 years ago? The used to be on the other side of the Mall. I bet some of you are right, the lease expired and the rent went up. Probably getting a place out in the northeast side cheap that a previous business failed because of all the traffic problems they have.;) Jim.

David Cramer
02-14-2013, 7:19 AM
Mine is just over 2 miles away and I am extremely grateful. The owner has been featured in the Gallery of Finewoodworking and really knows his stuff. The staff is kind and experienced and the store is large and extremely well laid out. It used to be a dedicated flooring store and they just couldn't make it as several different companies tried. The owner moved to the current location from a location that was just over a 1/2 mile away, believe it or not. That made a huge difference as the previous location was tucked in the corner of a strip mall and was missed by many. Now he's right on Van Dyke road and directly in front of a traffic light where 1000's of people have to stop everyday (Van Dyke is very busy). That was a smart business move by him as it made all the difference in the world. I don't buy things off the internet to save .50 to a $1 on a pen kit, I buy from that store as I don't wanna be even 1% responsible for him ever having to close down. Somebody has to help pay for the lights:) and I don't mind as that place to me is what Cheers was to Norm:) Honestly, I feel badly for you Jim.

Jim Matthews
02-14-2013, 7:23 AM
Is there a Rockler affiliate nearby?

It's pretty rare that I need something ONLY Woodcraft sells...

Larry Browning
02-14-2013, 9:01 AM
I don't know what you guys are complaining about. There is not a single woodworking store in the entire state of Arkansas. Yet, we have a whole bunch of woodworkers. Seems like an opportunity for somebody to me.

Rick Moyer
02-14-2013, 9:38 AM
Jim, I'm walking to Woodcraft, do you need anything?:D

Just kidding, they are actually just over an hour from me. Rockler is just under an hour. Ironically, Grizzly is closer than both, about 45 mins. I know how you feel, though. Our local hardware store where I used to live was only a few blocks away, in town, before they moved to the outskirts of town. They only moved about three miles outside of town but it seemed way more inconvenient. Made a <10 min. round trip into 1/2 hr. round trip, but it seemed like a lot longer, especially if you were in the middle of something.

Gary Hodgin
02-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Nearest WC is about 35 miles from me but I'm sure glad one opened about 10 years ago. Before that, it was the internet or drive to Highland Hardware in Atlanta, about 200 miles. l still get most of my stuff over the internet, but it's still nice to have a WC reasonably close. We got a real good WC.

Chris Padilla
02-14-2013, 12:33 PM
I don't know what you guys are complaining about. There is not a single woodworking store in the entire state of Arkansas. Yet, we have a whole bunch of woodworkers. Seems like an opportunity for somebody to me.

Well, it IS Arkysauce...who wants to go there?! hahahahaha

Larry Browning
02-14-2013, 1:37 PM
Well, it IS Arkysauce...who wants to go there?! hahahahaha

As I recall you came out here once. It was to a Terry Hatfield picnic a few years back. You had a good time didn't ya?

Matt Meiser
02-14-2013, 2:35 PM
Yeah, but has he come back? :D

Larry Browning
02-14-2013, 2:51 PM
Yeah, but has he come back? :D

Best I could tell he had a great time. Lots of BBQ and woodworking talk. What's not to like?
I'd bet he would come back if Terry had another BBQ!

Larry Fox
02-14-2013, 3:04 PM
Closest one to me is about 12 miles but it is VERY difficult for me to get to because this (see link below) is between me and the Woodcraft store. Can't tell you how many "hey, I thought you said you were going to Woodcraft and would only be there about 10 minutes" conversations I have had with SWMBO. :)

http://www.victorybeer.com/

OP - stinks about your local store moving. They are by no means the cheapest but they are sometimes convenient if you really need something.

Val Kosmider
02-15-2013, 1:47 PM
Well, i moved in the last year from a town that had no Woodcraft, and only one private 'tool' store (actually they are pretty good...General is their primary brand in larger machines, and they picked up Festool for those with serious ka-ching to spend) to a place where WC is about 5 minutes down the road. I buy more from them than i should (don't we all?) but when i think about the time/cost to drive further to save a dollar here and there, it seems reasonable to give them a decent amount of business. I am sure it costs them to be 'convenient'.

BTW, i just received a 10-15% off coupon from WC which, IIRC, is good through early March on most everything....i think some here refer to is as their 'annual 10% off sale'. Anyone with serious stuff to buy might wish to hunt down the coupon if they have not already received it in the mail.

Chris Padilla
02-15-2013, 3:48 PM
Best I could tell he had a great time. Lots of BBQ and woodworking talk. What's not to like?
I'd bet he would come back if Terry had another BBQ!

I have not been back! ;) I dunno...I might come out if Terry held another shindig...maybe.... :)

Bob Kerr
02-18-2013, 4:37 PM
At least you had it close to you for a while.

There is nothing on the south side of Atlanta. We did get a Harbor Freight but that's still 20 min from me.

Joe Shinall
02-18-2013, 4:46 PM
Closest Woodcraft to me: 145.48 miles
Closest Rockler to me: 277.97 miles

I don't want to hear it gentlemen.

John C Lawson
02-23-2013, 7:59 PM
I looked up their new location and it's right near one of my wife's favorite quilting supply stores. Yee-hah! :D

The FTW store is inconveniently far for me, but we in DFW can't complain. Two Woodcrafts, two Rocklers, and Wood World? I used to live in NJ and there was nothing.

Martin Shupe
03-02-2013, 4:45 AM
I was told they were moving because the rent was cheaper. I remember when they moved to their present location. They said then they would have more room and more exposure. Not sure too many people just "walk in" to Woodcraft. I would think you would be going there on purpose.

I will have to stop by their new location on my way home from the airport. If you see someone sleeping in a car in front of Woodcraft at 0700, waiting for them to open, it is probably me.

Martin Shupe
03-02-2013, 4:48 AM
I was told they were moving because the rent was cheaper. I remember when they moved to their present location. They said then they would have more room and more exposure. Not sure too many people just "walk in" to Woodcraft. I would think you would be going there on purpose.

I will have to stop by their new location on my way home from the airport. If you see someone sleeping in a car in front of Woodcraft at 0700, waiting for them to open, it is probably me.

Phil Thien
03-02-2013, 8:49 AM
I was told they were moving because the rent was cheaper...Not sure too many people just "walk in" to Woodcraft. I would think you would be going there on purpose.

I think you nailed it. Whatever they save on rent would probably be better spent on increasing their advertising (E-Mail to customers, maybe even some radio ads).