PDA

View Full Version : new 1221 Jet rev var

Harry Robinette
02-12-2013, 10:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LB8l4v6_fxI
the NEW Jet 1221 rev var dig read out check it out.

Bob Bergstrom
02-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Bye-By Delta. Looks like a winner.

Thom Sturgill
02-13-2013, 7:45 AM
Anybody know the HP specs? Nice looking lathe, all the toys, VS, digital readout, reverse without stopping, indexing, spindle lock, easy speed range change. Of course my 1220 has all that except the readout and reverse, but has a 3/4hp motor and the VS controls look tacked on while these are nicely integrated, and up front at the tail end, so you don't have to reach over the lathe ( or over the work when hollowing) to access them.

Chip Sutherland
02-13-2013, 10:26 AM
I saw an ad for this machine yesterday. Looks like a winner to compete with Delta's Midi. Price tag is ~799.00 so it is a top-end entry level machine for those with the ching or a nice upgrade for anyone with a non-vs 1012. In my opinion, it obsoletes the 1442 with the variable speed and reverse plus the other features. After owning a 1442, I would give up 14", longer bed and beefy leg supports...for 1221's features. I'm interested in hearing reviews for folks who play with or buy one.

Thom Sturgill
02-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Chip, my 1220 with bed extension is a full 48" center-tip to center-tip. I'd assume the 1221 will be in the same neighborhood. The 1221VS has a 1hp motor. Don't kow how 'beefy' the base is but most build their own, so that would be up to you.

Wish they'd make an upgrade electronics kit for the 1220. Since I already own a Jet 1642, I will not be buying a new 1221...

Bob Bergstrom
02-13-2013, 3:15 PM
Appears that they have beefed up the banjo. Looks as it may have a 3/4" tool post and is offset like a Powermatic. Only thing missing would be a sliding headstock. The metal stand would surly twist or walk with off center bowls cast iron legs do contribute rigidity of the lathe when roughing out half round logs. Still it looks like a nice upgrade for someone wanting to get into bowl turning

Thom Sturgill
02-13-2013, 3:25 PM
I noticed that banjo too. The tailstock looks like it might be a little wider too, maybe a heavier, wider casting. I would need to look at it again. If you don't have the bed extension, or can remove it and move the lathe to the end of whatever it's mounted on, the bed is short enough that a sliding head really is not needed. In fact, if you use a captured or articulated hollowing system they normally need to extend past the end of the bed.

Matt Mackinnon
02-13-2013, 3:38 PM
I just had a laugh at the start that the shop it was in was spotless. I didn't think that possible with a lathe to have a floor without a spec of dust let along a wayward curl or two. I only get to see the colour of my floor every 3-4 weeks when I get around to sucking up the shavings.

Bob Bergstrom
02-13-2013, 4:15 PM
He also only had the roughing gouge sitting on the table. Most days I can't even find my saw table.

Tom, good points. I've turned off the end of mini lathes ith no problems. The whole lathe seems to have a wider stance. Don't see any handles so I assume it is not made to pick up and carry?

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Looks like a great little lathe. Wish they would come out with a upgrade kit for the 1220 VS.:D

Thom Sturgill
02-13-2013, 10:23 PM
I'd go a couple of bills for a new head casting and electronics. Doubt it will happen, they want you to buy a new machine.

Thom Sturgill
02-15-2013, 4:57 PM
Just got an email with a link to a live page. They are giving a one year AAW membership with purchase!