PDA

View Full Version : Howdy guys and gals

Jim Hager
05-03-2005, 9:41 PM
I've posted here a week or so ago about the garden bench with the music on the back and got such nice comments from the lot of you that I thought I'd post again one of my own projects.

First, if I'm gonna post here you guys need to know a little about me. I am a shop teacher in a jr. high school and have been a teacher for 26 years. So you know for sure that I'm an old grouch. I run a part time professional custom cabinet and furniture shop on the weekends and will do just about any kind of project laid out before me. I plan to retire in about 2 more years and pursue this hobby/profession full time.

This is a kitchen that I finished just a couple of weeks ago for a customer here in our fair town of Pocahontas, Arkansas. They hired me to make the uppers and lowers and are going to hire another individual to install granite on the countertops.

http://a4.cpimg.com/image/B6/60/46992054-934f-02000180-.jpg

http://a7.cpimg.com/image/6D/66/46992237-a9f6-02000180-.jpg

This is the first all painted kitchen that I have done. I did it in lacquer that I had tinted at the paint supplier that I use here in town. Twas a challenge to complete to my satisfaction but I learned something in the process. Charge more for painted stuff.

I've got a bunch more stuff on my club photo account if anybody wants to take a look. http://members5.clubphoto.com/jim374331/1977246/owner_icons-40b3.phtml

Ya'll be kind now.

Tom Pritchard
05-03-2005, 9:58 PM
Jim, great job on the cabinets! I haven't seen that finish before, and I really like it! You did a great job of blending the cabinets together, as well as making them look like a natural part of the kitchen! Nice work!

John Hart
05-03-2005, 10:40 PM
I am in love with your corner cabinet arrangement and the very nice crowns. Can I have it please? :o

Corey Hallagan
05-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Welcome to the creek, a great bunch of guys here and a no flame joint to hang out in! The cabs are excellent, the paint looks really great!

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
05-04-2005, 12:36 AM
Jim....Welcome to the Creek. If the LOML sees those cabinets...I'm in trouble! Nice job!

Jeff Sudmeier
05-04-2005, 6:57 AM
Jim, that is one of the nicest painted kitchens I have seen! Great Job!

lou sansone
05-04-2005, 8:01 AM
Very nice work, and best wishes for a good retirement.

I have been teaching a teenager ww on the weekends and was wondering if you have a cirriculum you would share with me. This is our third semester working together. He is 15 and home schooled, so I have offered to teach him his IA. I was wondering how you presented the various machines and hand techniques to your students and what you expect at what age.

This semester he will be building a miniture 18th century Blanket Chest. It will have 3 tiny drawers and the case has hand cut dovetails. There are some ogee bracket feet and other little details as well. I will post pictures of his finished project.

thanks
lou

John Renzetti
05-04-2005, 8:46 AM
hi Jm, Real nice job on the cabinets. I'm sure you'll find more work than you can imagine when you retire from teaching.
take care,
John

Jim Hager
05-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Very nice work, and best wishes for a good retirement.

I have been teaching a teenager ww on the weekends and was wondering if you have a cirriculum you would share with me. This is our third semester working together. He is 15 and home schooled, so I have offered to teach him his IA. I was wondering how you presented the various machines and hand techniques to your students and what you expect at what age.

This semester he will be building a miniture 18th century Blanket Chest. It will have 3 tiny drawers and the case has hand cut dovetails. There are some ogee bracket feet and other little details as well. I will post pictures of his finished project.

thanks
lou

Lou, I use a textbook called "agricultural mechanics"fundamentals and applications by Herren and Cooper 4th edition published by Delmar.

My curriculum is primarily agricultural mechanics but I do place a big emphasis on woodworking since it is my passion. I teach about 9 weeks of "shop" to the eighth grade in a semester and a full semester to 9th grade. I also teach agricultural sciences in the first parts of the courses.

The textbook that I mention is the best one out there that I know of. It covers lots of shop skills from woodworking machines, electricity, plumbing, welding and on and on.

Mike Vermeil
05-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Twas a challenge to complete to my satisfaction but I learned something in the process. Charge more for painted stuff.

Amen Brother! I'm painting an extremely large, 4 piece entertainment center right now, and it's taking FOREVER! A big part of the problem is not having a dedicated spray booth. I'll never attempt to spray any more than one piece of cabinetry at a time again without one.

Jason Tuinstra
05-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Welcome Jim! The cabinets look great.

Jim Becker
05-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Welcome aboard, Jim. I look forward to viewing a lot more of your work!