PDA

View Full Version : Mystery wood!

Royce Meritt
05-03-2005, 9:36 PM
When making my last batch of fly boxes I used this piece of wood I had lying around. Not sure what type of wood it is. I got this particular piece of wood in a pile of wood I bought when a local furniture repair shop closed and had an auction.

The color and grain looks a bit like cherry but I don't think it is. When working with it it seemed much harder and more dense than cherry. Also seemed heavier. Much more toward maple in weight and hardness.

This box is finished with several coats of spar varnish diluted about 50/50 with mineral spirits. Any ideas? Thanks!

Tom Pritchard
05-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Royce, I'm not an expert by a long shot, but it almost looks to me like butternut wood. Here's a pic of it. I'll be interested to see what the experts say!

Nice fly box by the way!

Alan Turner
05-03-2005, 10:10 PM
I didn't check the specific gravity, but red maple seems a possability. I think of butternut as fairly light weight, and with a pronounced grain. This seems quite even in texture from the photo.

Steve Cox
05-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Your description makes it sound a bit like Jatoba aka Brazilian Cherry. Like cherry but heavier and denser.

Mark Singer
05-04-2005, 12:51 AM
Canary....either canary or ...something other

http://www.globalwoodsource.com/Large%20Images/Fullsize-Canary-Wood-3693.jpg

Arnie Grammon
05-04-2005, 5:48 AM
After looking closely at the box, I have come to the conclusion it is........

are you ready for this........

basswood. Or troutwood.

HTH ;)

Arnie

Ken Salisbury
05-04-2005, 6:13 AM
I believe Steve Cox has it correct:

BRAZILIAN CHERRY

John Hart
05-04-2005, 7:32 AM
Here's a Brazillian Cherry box I made a while back...The lighting is different than yours but.... hmm... dunno

Darren Ford
05-04-2005, 7:38 AM
Arnie, its defnitely troutwood. Notice the length of the fish in relation to its girth, cannot possibly be basswood.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-04-2005, 7:38 AM
I sure can't tell the wood! However, I like the box!

Royce Meritt
05-04-2005, 8:33 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Some of you need to think about taking your act on the road!

As to some of the slightly more serious suggestions...

Pretty sure its not canarywood. I've worked with a lot of canarywood. It has a distict odor when cut that this wood didn't have.

Too heavy for butternut.

For the time being I'm going to go with either the red maple or Brazilian cherry and do a bit more research.

Thanks everyone. You've given me a good starting point to investigate further.

chris toomey
05-04-2005, 9:30 PM
where did you get the wood? that may help.

Royce Meritt
05-05-2005, 8:36 AM
where did you get the wood? that may help.

I got this particular piece of wood in a pile of wood I bought when a local furniture repair shop closed and had an auction.

Greg Tatum
05-06-2005, 12:06 AM
Maybe....Lyptus?

Greg